7/31 Freedom vs. Courage PREMATCH

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by StarCityFan, Jul 28, 2002.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm leaving town tomorrow (in part to see the game in person), so I want to start the discussion now.

After our last two games with the Charge, I think they have good reason to be a little nervous about the prospect of facing us in the playoffs. However, since the Courage trounced us, 3-1, the last time we faced them, they don't have much reason to be likewise. It would be nice to change that as well as all but clinch a playoff spot with a win.

"White on rice" is going to have her toughest challenge yet if she ends up on Prinz - Katia is actually taller than Prinz, but Prinz is by far the more physical.

Tiffany Roberts' ejection should help us, and if Steffi Jones can have another commanding game in the midfield, we should have a chance.

I'm still frustrated with our attack: against San Diego, we didn't even get the chances, let alone finish them. (C. Moore led the team in shots in the first half with two - not a good sign.) We'd be very lucky to beat the Courage with just one goal.

It's not clear to me why Carolina has faltered in the past couple of games, but it would be great for us if the slump continued - and if it gets extended, we might even get a home playoff game!

2. Bombatta2

Bombatta2 New Member

When (on tape delay) is it on?!?!?!?

Just so there is NO confusion and I don't PANIC, WHEN is the game going to be aired?

It IS going to be aired, but it IS going to be tape-delayed. To when?!?!?

Somebody please state this loud and clear, and definitively, so there is NO confusion.

Thanks!! :)

3. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <FONT SIZE="+7" COLOR="#C81E2D"><B>Comcast SportsNet<br>Mid-Atlantic<br>
    Wednesday<br>July 31, 2002<br>
    10:30 PM EDT</B></FONT>

- CSN(DC) July 31 schedule

Loud and clear enough for you? ;)

4. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    Things are really getting interesting here! Whom do we poor Bet fans root for? You are our major rivals for a final spot, but your beating the Courage would be great for us too.

Why is the game so late?

5. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    For the CSN broadcast, keep in mind that it is preceded by an Orioles game at 7:00, these things can run over 3 1/2 hours sometimes. At least it's in Tampa, so no rain delays should factor in.

6. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Umm, we're playing Carolina...

7. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    Yeah I was editing my post just as youwere posting... Still why is the game at 10:30 PM? Or is that another typo (rushes off to check the WUSA site)/

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Delayed, according to DTV, tape delay is MUCH better than nothing. At least the game is ON. The Atlanta SD game is not going to be shown at all.

The local Atlanta media just does not give a damn about the Beat. Oops, this is NOT the Beat forum. I'll rant later in the correct place.

I just heard a voice: "This is not your room!"

9. Kim-GoBeat!

Kim-GoBeat! New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Thugsville, USA
    You're welcome! :)

What I know to be a fact is that Prinz is very upset by physical play. The Germans do not play a physical match. If your defenders nudge her, bump her a bit and pretty much stay in her face... she WILL unravel. She loses her cool quite easily and then loses concentration. SO.... apply force and she will break!! :p

10. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    I think this match is the toughest Washington has left to play. I'm not selling Atlanta short, I'm just stating my opinion. Playing Carolina and Atlanta with three days in between is going to be a chore, but Washington's defense has been stellar lately, so I have full confidence we can win both games...Should we play how we've been playing. (That's excluding the match vs. Boston. Only reason we didn't lose that is because we have Siri "wings on her back" Mullinix in goal.)

I'm looking forward to the match. With TR out it's gonna be interesting. Sucks that it won't be on TV live, but delayed is better than no viewage at all.

11. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Do you get Fox Sports South down there in Florida? They will be airing the match live from 7-9pm your time.

I guess my only main concern about this match is how to handle Riise. In the Beat match Riise was moved away from her usual playmaking MF role and Unni Lehn took that spot. IMNSHO this really killed their defense.

Oh yeah and KGB is right...get under Prinz's skin and it's game over for her. :D Is Moore the key here? I don't know. She's awfully small. Perhaps Grubb and Jones on her should do the job.

This match at SAS is approaching a near sellout. This should be awesome in person and look good on TV.

12. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Excellent. I do have that station thanks to my lovely DTV provider. So many sports stations, so little time. Thanks for the heads up, Fear. Tis greatly appreciated.

TV Guide needs to be more accurate in their showings of schedule. This match being a prime example, and the NY match vs Washington on the 10th. It's listed as being delayed on CSN, but it's live on MSG. Come on, people, stay on the ball.

13. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fear my DTV schedule shows Brewers @ Braves from 7:00 to 10:00 Wed. on Fox Sports South ch 630. This is also shown on the cable system on the Fox Sports South that Comcast caries. Do you know any different? Or is there another Fox Sports South feed somewhere?

14. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Oops sorry folks I flubbed up. FoF check channel 633 (I think that's it). That's the one that carries games of various kinds every now and then. It would appear as "RSNa" on your online guide. Channel 633 is not a regular channel like 595 or 231, it only pops up if it is gonna air something.

15. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering about the same thing: Carrie's done the job on the small, quick forwards (Millie, Pichon, Mellgren) and even handled the 5'10" Katia okay, but Prinz is a lot more physical. She can probably keep Prinz from getting the ball on anything but corner kicks (the only time Katia got to her) but could probably use help then. Hard to say.

Meanwhile, I worry that Carolina has probably learned their lesson about moving Riise and will put her back where she's most dangerous. I'm hoping that Steffi Jones can have another big game and nullify that advantage, though.

16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks, I "thought" I added that to the channels I receive so my TiVo would scan it but I guess something kept it from adding correctly.

Edit: I see now. The game is listed as Freedom @ Courage and the letters WUSA do NOT appear anywhere in the listing, like all other games have, so my wish list did not pick it up. Thanks again.

17. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    If Riise gets put back into that attacking mid position it will be trouble. Why not stick Moore on her a la TR when she's with the Nats. If you stiffle Riise then Carolina's attack dies, even with Prinze and Fotop in there. I think we have in advantage with Jones. She's familiar with Prinze and can probably shut her down. That leaves Fotop. Grubb has the stuff to stop her.
    What we need is some one other than Mia to organize the attack. We simply can't just wait till Mia gets in the game to get it going. Pu and Bai have got to start taking more responsibility on themselves.
    Lets hope Slaton's tender knee flares up again.

Go get em ladies!!!!
    Go Freedom!!!!

18. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Oh yeah...

I wonder if Mak is good to go for this match?

19. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Late night watching the Freedom. Will need to stay off the Net to avoid seeing the result but this sounds good.

20. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    What about going to Summer's to see if they can show it live on DirecTV?

21. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Too far for me. I live out in the country!!!

22. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Confirmed it with Joe - Summers WILL be showing the match LIVE at 7 PM. They will also show the San Jose-Philly match live at 10 PM.

Who wants to wait until 10:30 to watch a match? Come on out and be well into your SECOND live game by that time! Summers is located in Arlington, VA at the corner of Wilson Blvd and N Courthouse Rd, one block east of the Court House Metro stop. For more info, check out http://www.summers-restaurant.com/

Hope to see you all there!

23. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Word of caution to anyone who plans to tape the 10:30 CSN delay. Earlier in the season I set my VCR time to tape a Freedom game that was supposed to be on delay on CSN and when I went to watch it lo and behold there was no game only some talk show about ...you guessed it, baseball and golf.

24. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    They don't have TR, get under Prinz's skin and y'all have a good chance. This Beat fan will be pulling for Washington tomorrow for two reasons.

1. I am really getting to hate the Courage. I hate them more now even though we just got our first victory over them than before. Maybe even more than San Diego?

2. I would rather be in a three way fight with Carolina and Washington for second place than have a shot at no better than third. If both the Freedom and Beat win tomorroew, the second place race gets real interesting. If Philadelphia finds a way to lose?!?!?

Good luck Freedom.

25. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    I'm wonderin the same thing