7/31/02: Midweek Matchups

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by GPK, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is good stuf to hear (from the Gazza article):

"And Coach Ray Hudson said yesterday that club officials will make that decision in the next 48 hours...The league "hasn't interfered to this point and I don't expect them to," he said. "At the end of the day, it's my decision. I'll be held fully accountable."

But MLS is beginning to give more autonomy to teams, and it apparently will not interfere in the Gascoigne situation, despite concerns from league officials about the player's history of misconduct on and off the field....Hudson's statement that it is United's decision "sounds consistent with the teams' collective wishes for holding responsibility and accountability for their competition-related and player personnel decisions," MLS spokesman Trey Fitz-Gerald said. "It's part of our evolution as a league."

2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

man, i love pablo

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Not sure what he means when he says suffocate the talent?

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

read what i quoted above

5. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Sounds to me that Pablo might just be a little frustrated that he has to wait out that two year contract. Without the league's "suffocating" ways, it's pretty unlikely he'd be on anyone's radar screen - never mind those belonging to European teams.
    Landon did, but they made him ride the pine. That's why he's here and in such good form. Hopefully, when he goes back the next time he'll get serious minutes.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I did but I think I only just got it. He's saying let the big names go abroad so that it will open up space for new stars to shine. The "him" in "If Landon would go abroad, it may give him a chance to play" is referring to the next Landon getting a chance to play, not Landon in Europe. I was confused.

7. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    you do realize that he had an offer at the end of last season that mls rejected, right?

8. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

aye... and i tend to agree with this sentiment... i believe we have the talent, but by keeping everyone here, we are in essence inbreeding and decreasing our gene pool... so to speak

however, i will give mls some time to put things together... if they would rather wait until the end of the season, cool... but unless they are going to be expanding rosters sizes and the number of teams, people need to be moving on, imo

9. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Yes.

So?

10. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    :rolleyes:

ok, it goes like this... got drafted, started pretty much immediately... got tons of playing time and became a damn good player

he, like others, are basically starting to slow their development by not going against better competition

in addition they take a starting position away from another player on their team, and prevent another player from even being in mls

see how this concept works now? it's a bad idea, it's fine if we are the premiere league in the world, but we aren't

in addition, the more players we have in europe, the more they get used to the notion that we should be there and there is plenty of talent over here... so they begin fighting with mls even more for signing youths, young guns in mls, and proven players in mls

11. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Wow. Pretty smart.

Uh, it's a professional league. The league let's go athletes when it makes sense financially for them.

Besides it's by no means clear a) there are an abundance of defenders of Mastroeni's caliber ready to step in and take his place, b) that he'd necessarily be getting any playing time overseas.

He's a professional athlete under contract. He has to finish out his contract or wait until someone else makes an offer that's profitable enough for those who whole the rights to the contract to let him go. I think that's the way the system works (don't these contract things usually have "expriation dates" on them?). Another year is not going to kill him, nor is it clear that he's so far above the league that it's going to make him regress.

And you measured this on your developmentometer?
    Maybe we can put him in a "gifted talented" league. I'm a huge fan of Mastroeni - but the only thing he's sure to get overseas is more money. Personally, I think he'll do great when he gets there. But he's got to wait out his contract.

Thankyou for you patience and forebearance...

12. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when is Pablo moving on to open up a position for a Boulder Rapids Reserve?

13. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As soon as he can, it seems.