7/30/02: Once Upon A Time

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by GPK, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Proff that Nick Sakiewicz is a fool:

"[36-year-old Alessandro Costacurta is] still relatively young for a central defender," he said.

If 36 is relatively young, than I guess that means central defenders hit their prime at 40? Chasing Des Walker was a farce that we were lucky enough to escape. Signing Costacurta at 36 will NOT put butts in the seats, or shore up a defense. So a 36 year old, despite his talent, will be better able to shut down the speed of Beasley and Wolff?

Addendum: Well, after my initial anger wore off ... I suppose it all depends on the situation. If he is just coming in to finish out the season for a meagre paycheck, then it might be alright. But I question whether he's still in shape. He did play in 21 games last season for Milan, but I don't think he's played since March. Either way, to state that he's "relatively young" is moronic.

2. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nick is a moron:

Asked about Costacurta playing for the MetroStars this season, Sakiewicz said he was "really hesitant about talking about it... I don't want to talk about any player until he is signed."

So then he goes on to talk about it. A lot. "Relatively Young"? Compared to who? Lothar? Yeah - that worked out well.

Is the Real Madrid v Roma game part of a Metros doubleheader? It's not according to mlsnet - but you never know.

3. Pmoliu

Pmoliu New Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Princeton, NJ
    I am indifferent to the age thing to be quite honest. If he can play and has the right attitude thats great.

BUT . . . why does the solution for any problem the Metro are suffering from invariably lead to some foreign player? I mean, defensively, is it that hard to find some American players who can play the role?

Paul

4. jlo

jlo New Member

May 18, 2000
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It must be something about New York. Even after the change in operational control the Metrostars seem to be making the same mistakes. Constant turnover, constant chasing after the "big name" (although I am not sure that Costacurta has that big a name in the US).

5. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Yeah, I think they were named Carlos Bocanegra and Nick Garcia. They were NOT named Steve Shak.

6. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who has played exactly ONE minute this season.

The Nick Sackewicz Legacy of Genius lives on.

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny: Chung calling the left mid position in the Metros' formation the "Left idiot" position. Reminds me of what Villegas had to say about the right mid position.

I think by "relatively young" all Nick was saying is he still had a few good years left, as opposed to being totally over the hill.

I wonder if Donovan has any time to concentrate on soccer nowadays. The guy's going to run up against a mental wall soon if he ain't careful.

8. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nick S. comes across like a jerk or imbecile much of the time, but to give the guy credit, that trade he worked out with the Revs has turned out to be a spectacular success for the Metros.

9. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    So Nick found someone dumber than himself.

10. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    I wouldn't read too much into this. Any Dallas fan should know that the Revs are pretty much in the business of making their trade partners look good.

11. Soccerdude redded

Oct 14, 1999
    NY
    You must be looking at another team called "Metro Stars".

12. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, indeed. First Pareja. Then Graziani. I wonder if they'd be interested in trading Twellman for say, Zarco Rodriguez. We'd even throw in Percy Olivares for good measure (and good riddance!).

13. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Interesting point. Donovan has disappeared for much of the past few Quakes games, and on Saturday he flat out sucked. Perhaps he's already coming against it.

14. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Especially when you consider the Metros may be the best team in MLS at developing young talent.

Sachin