7/27 - Friendly - Benfica - Sporting (R)

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by Selecao2002, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Benfica takes the match, 4-2, in penalty kicks after a scoreless game. I know Frank Cunha would love to hear that another friendly with a Portuguese team resulted in a nil - nil tie.

Lineups for Sporting: Tiago; César Prates, Quiroga, Contreras, Tello; Rui Bento, Ricardo Fernandes, Quaresma, Toñito, Pedro Barbosa; Niculae.

Suplentes: Nuno Santos, Diogo, Beto, Paulo Bento, Luís Filipe, Rui Jorge, Carlos Martins, Danny, Ronaldo e Santamaria.

Lineups for Benfica: Moreira; Armando, Argel, João Manuel Pinto e Cristiano; Petit, Tiago, Roger, Zahovic; Drulovic e Mantorras. Suplentes:

Nuno Santos, Cabral, Peixe, Andersson, Ednilson, George, Anderson Luis, Carlitos, Geraldo, Andrade, Eder, Fernando Aguiar, Zé Roberto e Ricardo Rocha.

2. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Penalty kicks:

Benfica, 2-4,
    Sporting, 2-3, Rui Jorge
    Benfica, 1-3, Andersson
    Sporting, 1-2, Luis Filipe
    Benfica, 0-2, Ednilson
    Sporting miss -- Quaresma (save by Moreira)
    Benfica, 0-1, João Manuel Pinto
    Sporting miss -- Contreras

3. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    What a boring game.
    And the trophy was ridiculous.

Here you have people paying $50 to watch this game in Alvalade and they come up with the smallest and cheapest looking trophy.

4. pvasco

pvasco New Member

Dec 4, 2001
    bean
    trophy?

what kind of trophy should be given to a winner of a pre season game? I was surprised they even got a trophy, what a joke. It was almost embarrassing.

5. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    That is the truth.

6. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Next year they will have the game again, its good for relations between the teams. The money was split between the two organizations, I expected a bigger crowd. I guess the price for the tickets and because the game was schedule at the end of the month.