7/2 USA v Paraguay: The Attack [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NoodlesMacintosh, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rico took a chance and scored we need to try longer shots

2. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Yep. Twellman could've done better with his limited chances, but imagine if he had been there in place of Kljestan or Moor? Those are chances he doesn't miss in MLS. Had he missed them we all know how the masses on BS would've reacted, but I can understand why those two are getting it easy due to their inexperience (and not being strikers).

That said, I can't see how Twellman is to blame for this loss. He actually did some good when he got the ball and though he didn't get it enough, I thought it was one of his better games for the Nats.

From what I've seen of Colombia so far, if Twellman starts (and I'm not saying he should, especially if we are eliminated by then) I can see it as a game that would suite his strengths.

3. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry SFS....I can't agree with this line of reasoning. The US created all of their chances. Some took more work than others. Some took more defensive screw ups than others. But ALL chances occur for a reason. The only time soccer awards creative play and penalizes screw ups is when the ball goes in the net. Period.

Paraguay's second goal was a total gift but the forward still had to finish it, didn't he ?

Moor's and Kjlestad's free headers may have been gifts, but, unlike Paraguay, we didn't finish them.

And yes, I think the US has below average finishing for a top 30 International squad.

If I could pick one thing out that separates us from being a top 15 team, its our finishing.

4. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously. Otherwise we would have won 4-3.

5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, TT did some good things that game, but he had a left footed chance inside the penalty spot to tie the game with 10 minutes left and keep us in the bloody tourney. He dribbled it to the keeper.I don't think it is a good argument he might have made the shots which fell to others,he needs to finish the one key one which fell to him, otherwise, let's find someone who can....

6. GONATS

GONATS Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Atlanta
    Therein my friend lies the problem.

7. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Watch it again, that shot wasn't nearly as easy as you make it out to be (or as easy as some of the shots we've seen Taylor miss for the Nats before). A bouncing header back from EJ was never going to be easy to get a powerful shot off of, maybe EJ should put his header on frame from 3 yards out next time instead of trying to pass.

Taylor is not the answer for the Nats by any stretch, I just don't agree he had a bad game.

8. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting national team forwards don't need easy chances to score absolutely vital goals.

9. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Shame we don't have any "starting national team forwards" then.