7/12 USA vs. Costa Rica [PRE-GAME]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by REVS FAN 1, Jul 9, 2005.

1. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    Just stick with same defense line to make sure they get to play together;

Stop talking about 3-5-2, this ain't Hattrick game.

2. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ursula -- excellent analysis. I agree largely but feel it is unlikely BA will give JOB the start based on fitness concerns coming off the game Saturday and the injury bug and all.

My probable starters:

--------------------KK---------------------
    Hejduk----Conrad--------Gooch-------Sanneh
    -----------------Armas-------------------
    --Olsen--------Dempsey------------Davis
    --------Tino--------------Noonan----------

I feel fairly certain that Tino will start -- he was probably our best player against Cuba until Landon was subbed in. Not sure whether on the wing or up top but I think BA will want to rest Wolff for the quarters so I am thinking up top -- I also think rest may be in order for Landon and certainly for the Beaser -- though utilizing either (or both) of these players as a sub is possible, if not likely.

3. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's a YC?

4. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The other question I have is at RM. We know what we have with Ralston - and frankly, it's not international quality. Though he is a good crosser of the ball when he has space, he lacks the speed to create the space at this level. A winger without pace can still be dangerous if he can cut inside and make plays, but that requires a good left foot - and I've just never seen him make a play with his left. I would like to see Quaranta get more time there - he has the speed to get to the endline but can he cross? Bruce had him taking corners in the first game, so at least he thinks he's capable."

David Beckham is one of the best right wingers in football-- and he has no speed or left foot-- just an ability to cross the ball-- and Ralston is our best crosser of the ball from the right (Lewis and Convey are our best crossers from the left). So Ralston deserves a spot on the WC squad, but we have so many other outstanding players to fit in...

I've been reading a lot of posts in other threads (WC 06 lineups, etc., and much of the proposed lineups include O'Brien and DMB, but few include Convey and Lewis-- Convey hasn't played for Reading, so I can see that-- but Lewis was great before the appendicitis. How can we get O'Brien, EJ, DMB, Donovan, Lewis, BMB and Dempsey into the same lineup (and should he and Arena make up, Reyna) -- I think with those players in the lineup, we could be an offensive powerhouse. It's not exactly an embarrassment of riches-- only Donovan and EJ are potentially world class (I'm not sure Reyna has that potential anymore-- he's another one who's going to have to show his face more this year).

And I haven't given up on Armas. Many have written him off because of unimaginative passing, but I haven't seen that hold back Mastroeni.

But tear me apart. I probably need to see the error of my ways.

5. seeds

seeds Member

Apr 23, 2002
    NYC
    I agree with others here that JOB will see limited time in this match. Maybe as a late sub, but I don't think he will start.

Heyduk will probably be back, Sanneh is a possibility, Tino and Dempsey both are probables.

I think Bruce is looking at this tourney not just as a testing ground for individual players, although he is certainly doing that. He's using it to develop a platoon approach to tournament play. He's already said recently that because of cards, injuries and stamina you have to be able to play your entire bench in a tourney to succeed.

With the next round secured, excluding injuries he will play most of the guys who sat last game.

6. Adroit

Adroit New Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yellow Card

7. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Yellow Card.

I think Bruce uses this as another Hahnemann game, then gives Keller the knockout round game(s).

Pope and Casey assumed to be out with injuries.

Six players carrying yellow cards, though I don't think Bruce is too worried about losing Sanneh for the quarterfinal. However, Beasley, Donovan, Mastroeni, Onyewu and perhaps Hejduk could be saved for the QF.

If you eliminate those EIGHT field players, there really aren't a lot of choices left. Ah, the joys of tournament soccer.

Hahnemann
    Cherundolo-Conrad-Sanneh-Vanney
    Armas-Olsen
    Ralston-Davis
    Dempsey-Quaranta

Rest O'Brien, play Sanneh because we don't really care if he gets another yellow, rest Wolff too.

Ralston, Cherundolo, and Vanney are all working on just two days' rest, but I'm not that concerned, given that the rest of the team is completely fresh except for Conrad, who only played a half on Saturday.

This leaves you the flexibility to sub on Noonan and Wolff offensively if you need a goal without wearing them out for the QF; O'Brien could be the steadying 2H sub. Probably don't risk Onyewu as a 2H sub b/c with Pope probably out, you'll really want him out there instead of / next to Conrad for the QF, depending on choice of formation.

8. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only error I see is your comparison of Ralston to Beckham. I'm not sure exactly how to respond to this either except, perhaps, to pretend it didn't happen and just move forward from here.

Ralston is a good, solid player who, in all likelihood, will make the Germany roster imo. He does cross the ball VERY WELL with his right foot especially in space and also can make some moves (see the Colombia match) though he is not exactly fleet of foot. His deficiencies are his slowness and the fact that he is not exactly the best on the ball defender when tracking back in addition to the fact he has difficulty getting open to make crosses when marked by a speedy, agressive defender.

I think all of the players you mention above (if healthy) will likely see time in Germany though not all in the same match. Clearly, Bruce likes to utilize match-ups and get his best players and best formation on the pitch against a certain opponent. That said, it would seem clear to me that his "A" team has both Lewis and DMB on the pitch -- likely with DMB on the right. If you are reading posters who fail to include Lewis for WC06 perhaps you should ignore those posters . . .

oh, btw, I don't think Armas will be anywhere near Germany.

9. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see from your subtitle that you don't consider me an idiot. I'm not putting Ralston on par with Beckham-- just citing Beckham as an example of a superior right winger who lacks quickness and a left foot-- beyond that I agree that the comparison is ludicrous. However, there are many in England who criticize Beckham for the same faults that we criticize Ralston. The comparison ends there.

Armas I think is on the fence-- certainly not the USMNT's future, but could serve as a back-up-- he has the experience not to make colossally bad decisions.

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YC = yellow card.

Agreed that Bruce should rest those already on one yellow card, or at least as many as he can. And on that note, winning this match would be nice, albeit not necessary since we're already into the next round.

The objectives should be to blood a few more players, get through 90 minutes without any injuries, followed by getting the three points.

That said, the USA to win by two-nil.

11. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    We have found a great combination team yesterday, why change it again ?

12. Joel Kennedy

Joel Kennedy New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    ATL
    Most people feel that BA has a bigger objective than just winning every game in the gold cup. When given the chance to play one of the better sides (CRC) in a game that means nothing for us really ... then use it to get the newbies up to speed and other type experiements.

I'm nearly convinced Marcus H. gets the start in goal ... but it would be very cool if Matt R. were to get that honor ... especially at home.

Additional reasons include:
    1) card concerns
    2) fatigue when we eventually face Mexico.

13. Jonez

Jonez New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Boston
    A couple of points.

1) this game doesn't really matter
    2) we still have to play CR in a WCQ, a game that they may need.

Now, I'm not saying that CR would TRY to hurt anyone, but at the same time, I don't think it is worth it to take any chances with the players that the team can't live without. For that reason, I don't think we'll see Donovan or DMB start. I doubt Bruce will put the still-recovering JOB in to start two games in a row, though he'll likely come in as a sub.

I don't think Bruce is too worried about losing Senneh or Hejduk to yellows, but I don't think he'll risk Mastroeni or Onyewu, so I bet he starts the same backline as against Cuba.

Given the game is in NE, I think we'll see a heavy dose of Revs, including a start by Reis.

Reis
    Senneh-Conrad-Hejduk
    Ralston-Armas-Davis-Olsen-Noonan
    Dempsey-Quaranta

14. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sub on Noonan and Wolff if we need a goal???

15. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ralston and Beckham are on whole different levels. When the English criticise Beckham, remember that they are comparing him to the best in the world. Did you see any of Ralston's left foot 'shots' in the Gold Cup? They weren't even struck correctly, much less on target. I'll put Beck's left up against Ralston's any day. And the day Ralston can drop a 40 yard ball from the dead run onto the right foot of a cutting striker at the 6 yard line...I think Beckham gets a bad rap because people are jealous of his fame - we'd be delerious if we had a RW anywhere near that good.

The only other problem I have with you is that you're a Chelski fan. ;^)

16. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, agreed that Ralston sucks in comparison to Beckham-- Beckham shows, as your comments attest to, that you can be a great right winger without speed and quickness and without a left foot. No, Ralston can't cross anywhere on the same continent as well as Beckham-- unfortunately, he just might be the best crosser of the ball from the right that the USMNT has.

Please let that be the last time we mention Beckham on a USMNT thread. I'm sorry that I brought it up. Probably not the best way to illustrate my point, but it seemed good at the time.

However, from the left we have Convey and Lewis. Hejduk also has a great left foot, although he seems to play on the right most of the time.

17. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok lemme already try to assemble a real lineup this time

L-R

marcus

vanney gooch dolo

armas olsen
    davis job quaranta

dempsey noonan

possible subs-
    wolfe for noonan
    conrad for vanney(maybe)
    ralston for quaranta
    maybe dmb or landon on for davis or job
    mastro for armas/olsen

forza inter

18. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Thats the lineup I'd go with, rest DMB and LD and play the rookies. This lineup does that and will still be competitive.

19. glove

glove New Member

Mar 20, 2001
    gaithersburg,md
    that lineup will be the one Bruce uses but replace Dempsey up front with Noonan this leaves all yellow card holders out of lineup and gives Bruce his experimantal lineup(not sure what the fugg he is experimenting on other than out patience)Pope is dinged he'll sit and no one here other than Noonan and Ralston start for the second game in a row thus no fatigue problems. Still think this lineup can play CR to a tie

20. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    LOL

21. gaucho

gaucho Member

Dec 17, 2001
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=336918&cc=5901

Mark Connolly's preview.

Here's my lineup prediction:

-------------Keller
    Dolo---Pope------Gooch----Vanney
    ------------Armas
    Ralston--------------------Davis
    -----------Dempsey
    --Donovan-------Noonan

Trying to rest some players, avoid yellows...this is a hard lineup to predict.

22. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Marc Connolly [ESPNSoccerNet.com]

The one definite will be that Eddie Pope (mild sprain of left ankle) won't be in the back and that Keller will be in the goal. Arena is not going to start the hometown sentimental choice of New England's Matt Reis, or Marcus Hahnemann, who got a start against Cuba. Once again Keller will be looking to stymie the Ticos with his superb play. :mad:

WE WANT "EL LOBO" FANGOSO!!! :D

GO US!

23. gaucho

gaucho Member

Dec 17, 2001
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back line looks pretty thin, maybe this:

Dolo--Conrad--Gooch--Vanney

Big dropoff from Dolo and Gooch to Conrad and Vanney. As much as it would be nice to sit Gooch with one yellow, I'm not sure you could do it.

24. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the link!

Based on the report, my prediction would be:

--------------KK----------------
    Dolo---Conrad-----Sanneh---Hejduk
    -------------Armas--------------
    Tino--------Landon-----------Davis
    ------Dempsey-------Noonan-----

Think he holds back Gooch as he is just coming off that injury plus he has a yellow and he is a definite starter for the Quarters. I think JOB may come in as a sub, but its hard to see him starting due to his return from injury as well.

Think Donovan and Dempsey may interchange rolls with one going forward and another coming back to get the ball -- very fluid positioning. Finally, I think DMB may come in as a late sub if we are tied or down but since he played so many minutes in the first 2 you'd have to see him getting rested -- especially since he will be a definite starter in the quarters.

25. smock7

smock7 Member

Aug 4, 2004
    New York City
    You can see from the article that Pope probably won't be there, leaving Conrad to take the spot. Other than that, I think you are probably pretty close to what we will see. What I see:

Keller: Ticos know more than any others that they are in trouble.

Dolo: I can love watching this guy play - best defender we have IMO. Probably will notch an assist.

Conrad: Watch Gooch play. He is good. A lot better than you.

Gooch: Just keep getting better. That all you seem to do.

Vanney: Bruce loves you, so just dope around like normal (although you weren't half-bad last game)

Armas: yawn.

Ralston: You look like a real whiskey drinker, Steve. I don't how that affects your play, but I guess keep hitting those crosses into the heads of the defense. you are great at it.

Davis: Not sure. Some promise. Some poo poo. I don't really know you.

Dempsey: Look lost 90%, and then make an amazing play to make me forget I was ever mad about you.

Noonan: Noonan! Miss it! miss it!

Donovan: Don't get a yellow, superboy, and you will score in the 93rd.