69 Love Songs/Magnetic Fields

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Scoey, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Has anybody heard Stephen Merrit's pre-Love Songs stuff? I know he's had several "bands," but the consensus I've read is that 69 Love Songs is simply an out-of-the-blue opus. I'd like to try some of his pre Love Songs stuff anyway: can anybody make a recommendation?

2. luxinluv

luxinluv New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Boston,MA
    Charm of the Highway

I have lots of friends that are HUGE Magnetic Fields fans and this is just about unanimously their favorite album.

3. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    if you've heard one Stephen Merrit album, you've heard them all. Phil Specter meets Erasure is pretty cool for about an album.....but not 5.

4. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magnetic Fields' Get Lost is good but nowhere as brilliant as 69 Love Songs. I'd stay away from his side project called Future Bible Heroes. I was disappointed with it.

Murf

PS The is a line in a Beulah song that goes "Well, I heard he wrote you a song. So, what. Some guy wrote 69 and one just ain't enough."

5. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Beulah are magically delicious.

6. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    If you've read one post from Ted on this forum, you've read them all.

"Charm of the Highway" is the way to go.

7. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    stop sampling me, P.Diddy!

anyway I was a huge Magnetic Fields fan back in the early 90's when they had the female singer and I really liked 'Holiday' as well and that grey EP (forget the name). But by the time that 'Charm' came out I realised "MF" was a one card trick. Then when 'Get Lost' and '69' came out it should have been obvious to anyone that Merit is pretty one dimensional.

Call me a troll if you like Footix, but the fact that Merritt has used Specter's "Be my Baby" chords on over 20 songs, I think it's hard to argue.

8. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Obviously, I'm not as familiar with all of Merit's work as you are, but I seriously don't think you can call 69 Love Songs "one dimensional." The songs run the gamut in musical style. Stylistically much is not original: its as if he tried to write at least one "love song" for every conceivable genre of music -- but damn, if it wasn't done well. Additionally, I don't see how one could get tired of his lyrics. The range from clever, to funny, to touching, to insightful, often in a single song.

Thanks for the tip on Highway Strip, folks. I'll have to check it out!