6 star ratings in France Football mag ******

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by wm442433, Sep 8, 2021.

1. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    #51 wm442433, Dec 3, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    1965/1966 (25 times, 20 players)

Day #1 : René Gallina, Lens v Stade Français, 1-0 ('Stade' GK)
    "Lens desrved the win. If it's a low-scoring game it's because the Stadiste defense had a remarkable game; Gallina, very solicited, made absolutely astounding saves. The first quarter of a hour of play was untidy, then the game was very interesting, both teams striving to make some beautiful football".

Day #4 : Hector de Bourgoing, Bordeaux v Stade Français, 10-0 (IR, 4 goals)

Day #5 : Daniel Eon, Toulouse v Nantes, 0-0 (Nantes GK)

Day #5 : Robert Herbin, Cannes v Saint-Etienne, 2-8 (IR, 5 goals)

Day #9 : Gérard Hausser, Strasbourg v Sochaux, 5-1 (2 goals, LW)
    "1-1 at half-time. until then the match was balanced. Then Kaelbel gave the advantage to Strasbourg and since then, they clearly dominated their opponent. The international winger Hausser, who was good since the beginning of the game, since that moment, became imperial; he scored two goals en force and with speed and spread panic amongst the Sochaliens defenders who were beaten one more time by Szepaniak".

Day #11 : Philippe Gondet, Nantes v Red Star, 7-2 (4 goals, IR)
    "Nantes, perfectly relaxed, took the match in hand since the kick-off. They neatly dominated during the whole first half, with some remarkable cold-blood and realism., most of all thanks to Gondet and Simon who show to be two excellent finishers".
    Simon (IL), 2 goals : 5.

Day #15 : Robert Budzynski, Nantes v Nîmes, 4-1 (Nantes CB)
    Nîmes dominated in the first half (0-0). "Nantes let the storm pass then completely retrieved their game after the pause".

Day #16 : Bernard Bosquier, Sochaux v Nantes, 3-1 (Sochaux LH, 2 goals)
    "The win of Sochaux is undisputable and was undisputed but maybe there was off-side on the second goal by Bosquier that the referee passed on. The first half was all to Sochaux who played fast and well, driven by an omnipresent Bosquier, and dominated by 2-0 before the pause. On the contrary, the second half was dominated by Nantes but Bosquier made it 3-0 whilst Gondet could reduce the gap only 2 minutes before the end".

Day #18 : Philippe Gondet (2), Monaco v Nantes, 1-3 (3 goals. IL)
    "Muller, Suaudeau and Simon were missing on Nantes' side but their substitutes did very well and the Champions of France won a win in Monaco that gives them hopes for the 1966 title. This win, they owe it first of all to Gondet who proved again to be an excellent finisher since he scored the three goals of his team".

Day #18 : Rachid Mekhloufi, Red Star v Saint-Etienne, 1-5, (St.-Etienne IL, 1 free-kick goal)
    "once again, the tandem Mekhloufi-Herbin ensured victory to a St.-Etienne team too clearly superior to its rival".
    Herbin (IR), 3 goals : 5.

Day #20 : Jean-Pierre Serra, Nice v Sochaux, 3-1 (3 goals, RW)
    "A lively game, nice to watch. Nice played their best game of the season. Things started badly for them as Sochaux opened the score at the 15th minute but Serra equalized right after ('17) then gave the advantage to his team ('25). The second half was almsot always to the advantage of Nice; Serra (him again!) scored the goal for the 3-1. The case was heard, in spite of some Sochaux counter-attacks".

Day #25 : Johnny Schuth, Sedan v Strasbourg, 0-0 (Strasbourg GK)
    "Schuth saved his team from a certain loss : he avoided three goals that looked like sitters and saved many other shots that could have found the back of the nets. It was the only statisfying point of the night for Strasbourg who targeted the draw game, what they managed to obtain after having been clearly dominated, most of all during the second half".

Day #26 : Bolec Kocik, Valenciennes v Cannes, 3-0 (Valenciennes LH)
    "Valenciennes neatly imposed themselves above Cannes and the final score, 3-0, onlt refelcts imperfectly the superiority that they shown during the whole game, under the impulsion of Kocik and of Bonnel".

Day #26 : Jacky Novi, Nîmes v Sochaux, 1-0 (Nîmes RH)

Day #29 : Ramon Muller, Nantes v Saint-Etienne, 5-0 (Nantes CF/ AM, 1 goal)
    "That was a very good match, a festival of offensive football with 5 goals scored, 3 refused goals, around 20 shots at the goals and about 30 attacks; Nantes were the great triumphators, but the Stéphanois fought during a good hour before to crack and lose neatly. All the Nantais must be congratulated for the game they produced, most of all the forwards and noticeably Muller. At Saint-Etienne, the defenders were the most in view".

Day #30 : Gilbert Gress, Strasbourg v Monaco, 1-1 (Strasbourg IR)
    "[...] the two goals were scored by the central defenders (Devaux and Artelesa) and Gress was the big man of the match".

Day #32 : Jean-Marie Marcellin, Nîmes v Stade Français, 0-0 (Nîmes CF)
    In this "tense match", only Marcellin "looked like being able to score a goal". He was not helped by the wingers who "did nothing good".

Day #32 : Rafael Santos, Nice v Angers, 5-2 (Nice IR, 3 goals)
    "The score is severe for Angers as the match was balanced. [...] Santos (3 goals) was the big man of the match".

Day #33 : Philippe Gondet (3), Nantes v Rennes, 4-0 (IR, 3 goals, 1 pk)
    "Nantes won a resounding success over Rennes, printing an irresistible pace on the game. The big man of the match was once again Gondet, the author of three goals, who was remarkably helped by Touré (who scored the first goal since the 8th minute) and by Muller. It's also important to point out the collective work of the whole Nantaise team, their enthusiasm and their retrieved seriousness after the Sedan's loss. On the other hand, Rennes have been overwhelmed; they really have disappointed.

Day #36 : Jean-Pierre Guinot, Valenciennes v Saint-Etienne, 3-1 (Valenciennes CF/ AM)
    "The Nordistes produced a remarkable collective game, neatly maneuvring the Stéphanois".

Day #37 : Robert Herbin (2) & Rachid Mekhloufi (2), Saint-Etienne v Red Star, 7-0 (IR and CF, 4 goals incl. 1 pk and 2 goals)
    "After 24 minutes of play the Stéphanois already had the lead by 4-0 with 2 goals each by Herbin and Mehkloufi [...]. In the second half, Saint-Etienne scored 3 more including 2 by Herbin, hero of the match".

Day #38 : Joseph Bonnel, Valenciennes v Angers, 4-1 (Valenciennes RW, 2 goals)

Day #38 : Daniel Eon (2), Cannes v Nantes, 1-6 (Nantes GK)
    "Teh score is severe for Cannes, most of all if we consider that 5 of the 6 goals scored by Nantes came in the last quarter of an hour. In the first half the Nantais did a remarkable techncial, individual and collective demonstration but the Cannoise defense, well-packed, only conceded once. After the pause, accelerated the pace and became way more offensive, menacing Eon often; then it was the collapse of the last quarter of an hour. Eon got injured, unfortunately, jumping for joy on th ethird goal of Gondet".

Eon missed the World Cup due to that (expected as the #1 GK).

Day #38 : Charles Marchetti, Nîmes v Nice, 1-0 (Nice GK)
    "If Nîmes must play the barrages as they scored only one goal, it's because of the excellent game provided by Marchetti, who had extraordinary reflexes and who, during a long time, looked unbeatable. [...] The only goal was scored by Novi on free-kick".

Etoile d'Or : Rachid Mekhloufi (AS Saint-Etienne forward, for the second time) and Roger Lemerre (UA Sedan-Torcy CB) ex-aequo.

Note 1 : before this season, Lemerre really played at every outfield positions (even CF at times, scoring goals even)
    Note 2 : this season was a 20-club season again.

Intermediate recap 1959-1966 :

6 : Kopa
    4 : P. Bernard, Gondet, Mekhloufi
    3 : Ujlaki, Loncle, Akesbi, Y. Douis, Buron, J. Simon, Herbin, Bonnel
    2 : Remetter, Charles-Alfred, Barlaguet, Combin, Goujon, J. Bernard, Bruey, J-C Hernandez, Burdoncle, Novi, Gress, Eon, Marchetti
    1 : Baulu, Théo, Barrou, Chorda, Rytkönen, Mignot, Barthelmeds, Guillas, Taillandier, C. Vidal, Dalla Cieca, G. Sénac, Ferrier, Mandaron, Eschmann, Ferrero, A. Oudjani, Djebaïli, Cossou, Chillan, Charpentier, Michelin, Di Nallo, Landi, Sauvage, Duchêne, Garofalo, Dogliani, Gallina, De Bourgoing, Hausser, Budzynski, Bosquier, Serra, Schuth, Kocik, Ram. Muller, Marcellin, Raf. Santos, Guinot

2. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Before finishing this list with the 1966/1967, 1967/1968 and 1968/1969 seasons plus a 1959/1999 overview, here are a few examples of what were the formations used by some early 60's teams, as presented by their own coach in Football Magazine (articles from the mags I have got that I have retyped on blog) :

RC Paris 1960/1961 (published in November 1960; eventual vice-champions)
    RC Lens 1960 (published in December; eventual 10th in D1).
    AS Monaco 1960/1961 (published in July 1961; champions)
    US Valenciennes-Anzin 1962 (published in February 1962; on their way back to the D1 as the D2 vice-champions)

Their main game-plan anyway, and that goes with the caracteristics of the players, who are also introduced by them, and what were their instructions.

3. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    For instance, in a recent video-interview, Serge Masnaghetti (forward) confirms that Valenciennes always played the 4-2-4 under Robert Domergue.
    As shown on the drawing (that copies the tableboard of the original article) and as explained in the players' description, the outside forwards are intermediaries between the midifeld and the front-two.

4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I see DBS Calcio has the Ligue 1 average ratings for this season now: possibly from just France Football, but conceivably with others factored in too (or even France Football not being a source at all - I'm not sure):
    1 [​IMG] Keruzore R 6.974
    2 [​IMG] Leclercq D 6.932 (indeed Daniel, not Dominique the goalkeeper)
    3 [​IMG] Michel H 6.711
    4 [​IMG] Rey A 6.643
    5 [​IMG] Vincent J 6.632 (Jean Vincent coach of Nantes, not a player of course)
    6 [​IMG] Tresor M 6.619
    7 [​IMG] Mihaijlovic L 6.608
    8 [​IMG] Platini M 6.608
    9 [​IMG] Giresse A6.581
    10 [​IMG] Dahleb M 6.574

11th to 20th being Meynieu (Bordeaux), Sahnoun (Nantes), Lopez (St Etienne), Hiard (Rennes), Papi (Bastia), Baronchelli (Nantes), Curioni (Metz), Curbelo (Nancy), Jeandupeux (Bordeaux), Elie (Lens)

Other notable players in the top 125 names (which will include some more coaches), among those who played most of the games:
    Gerard Janvion (6.47), Dragan Dzajic (6.47), Maxime Bossis (6.42), Bernard Lacombe (6.33), Patrick Battiston (6.31), Osvaldo Piazza (6.22), Didier Six (6.20), Josip Katalinksi (6.16), Gerard Soler (6.16), Ivan Curkovic (6.15), Dominique Rocheteau (6.13)

Pavlin Arnaudov repped this.
  5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    If they are using France Football ratings then obviously they are converted by DBS Calcio to a 1-10 scale, but they have done that with some other sources like Kicker I know for example.

6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I am thinking now that maybe there was at least one other source, rather than only France Football, because otherwise I would not expect that Keruzore should have a higher average rating than Leclercq I don't think (unless it is to do with converting individual match ratings to a 1-10 scale possibly). I'm assuming @wm442433 you mean they had the same total number of etoiles anyway, and Keruzore played one more game than Leclercq, according to DBS Calcio's data at least.

7. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    I have a doubt now, but I think that the FF étoiles ranking was based on average ratings.

You're surely right about the DBS methods and frankly, I don't rate this website at all. It's just randomness imo.
    This one list doesn't look so weird but it can't be given too much credit though.
    Maybe you found here one list that is the closest to an original mag though.
    Dunno.
    Usually, there are more club-players that ranks amongst the star-players (as soon as in the top-10) but on that season, that's possible it was less the case.

From memories when checking those ratings, it's the real breakthrough season of Giresse (he was irregular, sometimes injured, before that one). I'm still surprised to see him that high but... maybe.

Good list anyway, that's interesting to see this one (just, I'm not confident in this website in general, for the most part of it).

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, I do think they use real ratings probably, but just from whatever sources they get hold of (so for example when they add new sources for Serie A for some seasons it changes their ratings and the order of the players a little bit - we can see some sources for Italy on this forum for example though and on the whole the DBS Calcio ones seem to quite closely match with what can be seen on this forum and in other places...but it just depends which sources are in and which are out of course).

I think for some reason for one or two English clubs in the 90s (Forest in 94/95 and Everton in 95/96 for example) something went wrong and they only seem to show ratings as per half-way through the season or something; maybe when they added more sources there was a mistake. It's also difficult to verify the ratings of course, but it does seem like in general they are inputting real ratings into a spreadsheet and calculating the averages I think. It's a good/interesting website to see, but a difficult one to fully trust and understand I suppose (because the averages for each source aren't shown, or obviously the ratings for each game that could be compared in some cases to newspaper clippings etc).

I think in this case either the order can change a little bit because of grade conversion from France Football's system, or they might have found and used multiple sources (l'Equipe possibly or Onze Mondial?).

9. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Yes, that's what I sensed and it is clear now as you know better this website and did the verifictions. There is some proof of it only with the coach ratings (coming from... I don't know).
    Onze Mondial methods were a bit mysterious too... totally mysterious. As you probably know, they did not show any pts. and it was more like an up and down ranking monthly (also, possibly it was not even shown at all one month here, one month there).

PDG1978 repped this.
  10. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    Share a link if DBS Calcio they do something new from the top European championships!

11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #61 PDG1978, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    Sure, yeah.
    Sometimes I notice something new has been added because a player's profile has a new season, like here for Platini (the 76/77 one):
    DBS Calcio
    I'm not sure if you're signed up to DBS Calcio, but whoever is can view season ratings for leagues by clicking on the tab 'Ricerca per media voto' and selecting the league and season, such as this page for 76/77 in Ligue 1 in France
    DBS Calcio
    Sometimes a player isn't showing on those pages when he has a high enough rating, most likely because he joined the league after it started (though the ones with not enough games overall are legitimately excluded, so I mean different cases where they played enough but started the season with another club, perhaps in a different league). For example Gianfranco Zola re: the 96/97 Premier League (these links below are for pages for the 96/97 Premier League top average ratings, and Zola's profile)
    DBS Calcio
    DBS Calcio
    I'm not sure whether there would be any cases like that in Ligue 1 of 76/77, but @wm442433 might have an idea....

EDIT - I think the links for the leagues wouldn't take you to the right page even if signed up (just a blank page instead) but basically to find those pages from the tab I mentioned you select the league in the 'Stagione' box, the season in the 'Campionato' box, and de-select the 'Squadre' tick box (otherwise the average ratings for each squad overall are mixed in with the individual player ratings). It's necessary to be signed up to DBS Calcio with a user name to see those though, like I said.

12. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    I have a registration and I have been using these ratings for a long time! I just sometimes don't understand if there are new statistics like the one from the 76/77 season France and thank you for sharing!
    A separate issue is that I do not know how reliable the sources from this site are.

PDG1978 repped this.
  13. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    I can't think of a similar case atm for this season. There's few chances it's the case here (at first sight, did the verification for Bjekovic).

PDG1978 repped this.
  14. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    #64 wm442433, Jun 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    Since the next season, the 4-2-4 is the formation's mould that is mostly used, although there are still 3-2-5 formations. The precision will be made only in the latter case.

1966/1967 (24 times, 21 players)

Day #2 : Claude Robin, Nantes v Lens, 3-1 (Nantes CB, 2 goals incl. 1 fk)
    An "exciting game".

Day #5 : Charles Samoy, Nice v Lille, 1-2 (Lille GK)
    "Lille most of all owes their success to the extraordinary brilliance of their keeper Samoy, but also to their greater collective spirit and to their setup".

Day #5 : Franck Fiawoo, Marseille v Nîmes, 4-0 (Marseille IL, 3 goals)
    "The gap on the scoresheet can be explained by the big difference there was between the atheltical, realistic and committed Marseille team and the Nîmes team that played in a disparate maneer and seemed to be resignated very quickly. It's true that the injury of Andréo right after the first goal disorgnaized the defensive system of Nîmes but it can't be an excuse for everything. The extraordinary duo Fiawoo-Joseph did wonders, noticeably the marvellous Fiawoo, who scored three goals hismelf".
    Joseph Yegba-Maya, said "Joseph" : 5.

Day #6 : Jean-Pierre Guinot, Valenciennes v Rennes, 3-1 (Valenciennes IL, 2 goals)
    "Valenciennes get their first win of the season against Rennes".

Day #8 : Paul Courtin, Sochaux v Lens, 2-5 (3 goals, RW)

Day #8 : Yves Chauveau, Lille v Lyon, 0-1 (Lyon GK)
    "Lille had numerous chances and took 30 shots but the Lyonnais keeper Chauveau had an extraordinary game and stopped everything. Lyon, who pressed in their camp most of the time, had a dozen of shots".

Day #11 : Georges Lech, Lens v Saint-Etienne, 2-0 (IR, 1 goal)
    Lens is once again described as a vivacious team in attack (it was the same with Courtin) and Lech lead the attack of lens in this game that they also totally dominated.

Day #13 : Francis Magny, Nantes v Nîmes, 5-3 (Nantes IR, 3 goals)
    "Nantes could have win more easily but they spoiled many chances and in the goals of Nîmes who gallantly played the offensive, Landi had a remarkable game. He stopped everything during the first half of an hour when Nantes printed a high pace on the game and often were menacing. Nîmes opened the score but it was 2-1 for Nantes at half-time".

Day #16 : François Heutte, Reims v Stade Français, 1-0 (Reims CF in a 3-2-5)
    "It was a severe tussle but not a great match".
    There's no mention of Heutte, only of Kopa who scored the only one goal of the game from the pk spot, a pk he obtained himself.

Day #17 : Jean-Claude Hernandez, Monaco v Nice, 0-0 (Monaco GK)
    Very bad weather. The draw game was fair. "The Monégasques fought with much courage, at the image of their keeper Hernandez, who was particularly well-inspired".

Day #17 : Rachid Mekhloufi, Saint-Etienne v Lille, 4-1 (St.-Etienne IL, 1 goal, the opener)
    "A very attractive games, intense, played at a fast pace. Saint-Etienne made a big impression, lead by a transcended Mekhloufi, and imposed themselves in front of a couraegeous and combative Lille team". The stéphanois had an excellent first half with a remarkable offensive game so they lead by 2-0 at half-time. It was then 2-1 by Guy but Lille could not folow the rythm of the local team and conceded two more goals".

Day #17 : Jean-Pierre Guinot (2), Valenciennes v Toulouse, 2-0 (Valenciennes IR in a 4-2-4, 2 goals incl. 1 pk)
    "The Valenciennois almost constantly dominated the situation, imposing the highest pace and realizing very beautiful collective actions. it was near to be a one-way game but Valenciennes should have won with a bigger margin if their forwards had been less maladroits and if Giussepin did not make magnificient saves. The two goals of the game were scored by Guinot who truly was the king of the pitch."

Day #18 : Charly Loubet, Nice v Valenciennes, 5-2 (Nice LW, 3 goals)
    "The Niçois managed to clearly dominate a team of Valenciennes that was solid and homogeneos but weakened by the end of the game. The two wingers of Nice, Serra and Loubet, active and percussive, gave the win to their team by scoring the 5 meridional goals. The scoresheet, 1-1 di not look right at half-time but thereafter, the local wingers took care of causing the difference".

Day #19 : Hector de Bourgoing, Sedan v Bordeaux, 0-3 (3 goals, CF in a 3-2-5 with a "defensive RW", Abossolo)
    "This match was worth it most of all due to the class and efficiency of De Bourgoing who crushed on his own, with 3 goals, an absolutely unrecognizable Sedan team".

Day #20 : Yves Herbet, Sedan v Lens, 3-0 (midfielder, Sedan)
    "Sedan dominated the whole game without forcing".

Day #21 : Josip Skoblar, Marseille v Saint-Etienne, 2-2 (OM IL, 1 free-kick goal for the 1-1).
    "3 minutes before the final whistle, Joseph gave to OM a deserved draw game [...]".

Day #21 : Georges Lech (2), Lens v Nantes, 4-0 (IR, 3 goals)
    "The win of Lens is indisputable but they were helped in their task by the poor state of the pitch (icy). They resolved the problem by wearing sneakers whilst the Nantais spend the whole game at doing a festival of figure skating. The champions of France thus coudl not take their chance but they would have had difficulties to make it out anyway against the ardor and the value of a remarkable team of Lens, dominated by an imperial Georges Lech".

Day #26 : Elefterios Manolios, Sochaux v Nantes, 1-1 (Sochaux GK)
    "It was a very spectacular game, that could have won by either team until the end, and played with much tenacity. The Sochaliens got some credit to obtain such a result since Quittet was missing and that they had to play reduced to 10 men (Andrieux got injured) after half an hour. In the end, in spite of very good debuts in this game, if Nntes were not able to win, it was due to the excellent game provided by Manolios and due to the lack of efficiency of their forwards. All the Sochaliens admirably fought with heart."

Day #27 : Pierre Bernard, Sedan v Saint-Etienne, 1-0 (St.-Etienne GK)
    +/- the exact quote : "Saint-Etienne first tried to force things, tried to break the Sedanaise machine by acclerating the pace then tried more to slow down things as Sedan took the reins and imposed an infernal pace. The only goal of the game was scored by Roy (22th min.). St.-Etienne had the merit of not closing the game neither and Pierre Bernard had a remarkable game."

Day #27 : Jean-Claude Suaudeau, Nantes v Stade Français, 3-0 (Nantes MF, the most defensive one, in theory, 2 goals)
    "The Nantaise domination was crushing, still, they did not get the win with ease. The Stade of Paris courageously took their chance in the first half; Carnus saved his team thrice but had to bow to a shot by Simon. After the pause, Nantes still dominated almost continually and Carnus was extraordinary with brilliance and cold-blood again. Finally, it's Suaudeau (2 goals) who gave the adantage to his team".
    Carnus : 5.

Day #29 : Henri Michel & Philippe Gondet, Nantes v Saint-Etienne, 4-1 (CB here and IR. 1 and 2 goals)
    "This game honoured French football. This was a real top game, and even the losing side was worth it as Saint-Etienne had the merit of never closing the game. The actions of class came one after the other at a fast pace and we often were the spectators of a true Nantais firework, whose the first quarter of hours of the two halves of the game were really amazing".
    Michel scored the opener since the 8th minute and Gondet scored the goals #3 and #4.
    It's the very first season of Henri Michel (20 years old, 15 games/ 2 goals here and there along the season) at Nantes.

Day #35 : Rachid Mekhloufi (2), Nîmes v Saint-Etienne, 1-1 (IL, 1 goal, an equalizer, '45)
    "... St.-Etienne dominated technically but were often countered by the determination of Nîmes... lead by Mekhloufi... St.Etienne whown more authority and homogeneity but it was only 1-1 at half-time... then the pace slown down..."

Day #38 : Robert Herbin, Angers v Saint-Etienne, 0-3 (MF in a 4-2-4, 3 goals, '8, '64, '85)
    "The win of St.-Etienne in Angers is deserved; but it was not easy as the win was clearer only after an hour of play. Thiss win is mainly thanks to Herbin (the author of three goals) and to Mekhloufi, both of them remarkably helped by Jacquet. Angers never knew how to deal with their adversary, only looking the part during one hour."

Etoile d'Or : Rachid Mekhloufi (AS Saint-Etienne forward, for the third time).

comme, PDG1978 and Pavlin Arnaudov repped this.
  15. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    1958 World Cup, matchday #1 (3 players)

Helmut Rahn (West Germany v Argentina)
    Harry Gregg (Northern Ireland v Czechoslovakia)
    Just Fontaine (France v Paraguay)

(5 étoiles : Erhardt, Bellini, Khrisevski, Wright, Bozsik, Turnbull, Szymaniak, Varacka, Marcel, Boskov, Corbatta, F. Walter, Didi, V. Ivanov, Kopa, J. Charles, Piantoni, Skoglund)

Matchday #1's 11 :
    Gregg - Kaelbel, Wright, N. Santos - Bozsik, Szymaniak - Rahn, Fontaine, J. Charles, Piantoni, Skoglund.

(Full-backs Kaelbel and N. Santos have 4 étoiles like 7 other right-backs and 4 other left-backs. The second best-rated keepers, featuring Yashin and Gilmar, among 6 others, have a 4)

16. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    Great! Post all ratings if you have them!

17. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Euro 1968 (2 times, 2 players)

Dragan Dzajic (Yugoslavia v England)
    Dobrivoje Trivic (Yugoslavia v Italy, 1st final)

No data for the replayed final.
    The first final report appears in the issue #1158 and the replayed final is of course the object of an article in the next issue. But no ratings are provided on this one.

I already typed the ratings of all the games (except for the one that can't be found, obviously)

Euro 68 FF ratings (the formations and ordering of the players are as in the mag + kept the French/ FF spelling for the Soviet players' surnames) :

3rd PLACE MATCH

England 2 (Charlton 39', Hurst 64')
    USSR ---0

England : Banks 3 - Wright 3, Labone 3, Moore 4, Wilson 4 - Stiles 4, Charlton 5 - Hunter 3, Hurst 3, Hunt 4, Peters 3.

USSR : Pchenitchnikov 3 - Afonine 4, Kaplichniv 3, Chesternev 4, Istomin 3 - Logofet 4, Malafeev 4 - Evryzhnikin 3, Lenev 3, Banichevsky 4, Bychevetz 3.

SEMI-FINALS

Italy ----0
    USSR -0

Italy : Zoff 5 - Burgnich 5, Bercellino 3, Facchetti 4 - Ferrini 3, Castano 3 - Domenghini 5, Juliano 3, Mazzola 3, Rivera 3, Prati 5.

USSR : Pchenitchnikov 4 - Istomin 3, Chesternev 4, Afonine 3 - Kaplichniv 3, Lenev 4 - Malafeev 3, Logofet 3, Banichevsky 4, Bychevetz 5, Evryzhnikin 4.

Yugoslavia 1 (Dzajic 86')
    England ---0

Yugoslavia : Pantelic 4 - Fazlagic 5, Pavlovic 5, Paunovic 5, Damjanovic 4 - Holcer 3, Osim 3 - Petkovic 3, Musemic 5, Trivic 5, Dzajic 6.

England : Banks 4 - Newton 3, Labone 3, Moore 4, Wilson 4 - Mullery 4, Charlton 3 - Ball 3, Hunt 4, Hunter 3, Peters 4.

FIRST FINAL

ITALY -----1 (Domenghini 80')
    YUGOSLAVIA 1 (Dzajic 67')

Italy : Zoff 4 - Burgnich 4, Guarneri 3, Facchetti 5 - Ferrini 2, Castano 4 - Domenghini 5, Juliano 3, Anastasi 4, Lodetti 3, Prati 3.

Yugoslavia : Pantelic 4 - Fazlagic 4, Paunovic 4, Holcer 5, Damjanovic 4 - Pavlovic 5, Trivic 6, Acimovic 5 - Petkovic 3, Musemic 4, Dzajic 5.

A post to be repeated in another thread probably. Just, I still have to find out in which one.

Some ratings somehow can be nuanced by what there's to read in the articles of course : Dzajic not defending much (but doing what he does extremely well)... Charlton missing that clear chance against Yugoslavia... Moore "getting pushed around" by the Yugoslavian attacks, so to speak ...
    Trivic really caught their eye, that said (no, there's no nuance in it).
    It remains that Charlton holds his place in the FF's "4 Aces of the Tournament [!]". In company of Domenghini, Trivic and Byshovets. Looks like it's one per nation, and other players are highlighted in the different articles starting with Dzajic of course and the winners of the replayed final/ "the Yugoslavian marathon" in the trio Riva (back in grace at this occasion, in this context), the young Anastasi and Mazzola repositioned behind the strikers).

Possibly I'll go further on it in a dedicated thread.

comme and Pavlin Arnaudov repped this.
  18. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    It's great that he found the grades from EURO 1968!
    And from this last match of the tournament, are there any ratings at all or is there only a report from the match?

19. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Reported.

20. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    1967/1968 (19 times, 18 players)

Day #3 : Philippe Gondet, Lens v Nantes, 1-3 (IR, 3 goals)
    "In front of lens, the nantaise formation seemed like almost back to their game and Gondet became again the irresisitible scorer of goals that we knew. Indeed, he scored the three goals of his team and even scored another one that looked valid and created for himself several more chances to aggravate the score.
    The Lensois had a good start (goal by Lech since the 8th minute) but it did not last; Gondet equlaized soon after, and in the second half there was only one team on the pitch."

Day #4 : Gabriel Abossolo, Bordeaux v Lens, 6-1 (IR)
    "The Girondins did not make things into halves in front of the Lensois that did look weaker compared to the previous years. The great man of the game was Abossolo; he dominated the game head and shoulders; and revealed hismelf as a remarkable playmaker. After 30 minutes of play, the Bordelaise victory was already ensured, as Taillandier was three times beaten. Wicke saved the honour of Lens just before half-time, then it was the collapse of Lens and the takeoff of the Girondins."
    In the next games, Abossolo is back to his most usual RH position. Later in the season (since around the mid-season) he'll be used at IL before to finish at MF/ RH again (there's also that one match at one point when an usual forward is played at IL but is replaced by Abossolo, coming from the bench). We saw that he also was used occasionally at the RW position during the last season.

Day #9 : Marcel Aubour, Nantes v Nice, 0-0 (Nice GK)
    "The Azuréens came with the desire to bring back one point. They succeed in this mostly thanks to Aubour who was positively sovereign and realized a total of 9 of the most perilous saves. But th eNiçois keeper was not the only one to oppose himself brilliantly in front of the Nantais tries, and once again, Serrus stood out in a defense well-organized around Rodzik. Although kept in check, the Nantais attackers can't be blamed : Simon and Gondet had a good half each."

Day #9 : Robert Szczepaniak, Metz v Angers, 1-1 (Metz IL, 1 goal, the opener)
    "This draw-game is flatering to Angers, the Lorrains let go a largely deserved win during a game that they lead as they pleased. Thnaks to a Szczepaniak who has dominated his partners and his adversaries, Metz constantly built plays. The Angevins, whose the keeper Voloviec surpassed himself, only proceeded by counter-attacks and managed to equalize by Dogliani."

Day #12 : Abderrahmane Soukhane, Red Star v Aix, 2-1 (Red Star OL)
    "in spite of horrideous weather and a very slippery pitch, the two teams practiced an excellent football; the Parisians demonstrated good technical individual and collective qualities, and the Aixois boldly replicated. All in all, it's a deserved win for Red Star : the score was equal at half-time (Leonetti having responded to a goal by Farias) but then the Audaniens accelerated the pace and Varini, although brilliant, had to bow to a shot from the former Aixois Le Donche."

Day #17 : Philippe Levasseur, Metz v Sedan, 1-5 (RW, 3 goals)
    "The freshness, the realism and the physical shape of the Sedanais are at the origin of their very clear victory over the messins who looked very weak in defense. The game was quickly launched with a goal by Salem since the first minute; the Messins reacted little by little and equalized by Sczepaniak. But the Lorrains' hopes stopped there as Levasseur gave back the advantage to his team a short time after this equalization. In the second half, the Sedanaise domination materialized with three other goals of which two were again the work of Levasseur".

Day #18 : Etienne Sansonetti, Ajaccio v Aix, 8-2 (IR, 4 goals incl. 1 pk)
    "it was a real goal galore from Ajaccio that started imediately since Touré scored at the very first minute. Seven more goals followed this one, four of them being the work of the excellent Sansonetti, number one scorer of the Corsican team as well as in the league, even. [...]".

Day #27 : Robert Péri, Bordeaux v Nice, 4-0 (Bordeaux MF)
    "Handicaped by the absence of many players in defense, Nice did not measure up with Bordeaux that throwned themselves into the match since the very start of it. Thanks to an ubiquitous Robert Péri, the Bordelais attackers had a field day. Without the presence of Marcel Aubour, the score could have been larger as the Niçois were overwhelmed from start to finish. This game was worth it mostly due to what the Girondins displayed in the first half."

Day #28 : André Betta, Rouen v Bordeaux, 3-0 (1 goal, goal #3. MF)
    "The two teams offered a show of high intensity, interesting, even inthralling at times. The Rouenneais desorientated the Girondins by their determination, by putting their heart and soul into it, and the quality of their game. In the first half, they incessantly harassed the defense and rear-defense of Bordeaux that ended up giving in once, in front of Ruelle (38'). After half-time, Rouen did not relax and scored two more goals [Ruelle, Betta]. It was a magnificient triumph !".

Day #28 : Yves Herbet, Sedan v Metz, 3-0 (1 goal, goal #3. IR)
    "Metz entered well in the match but it gave nothing and little by little, Sedan imposed themselves under the impulsion of a remarkable Herbet [...] After the second goal that came just after half-time, Sedan still dominated although Metz fought until the end"

Day #20* : Jean-Claude Piumi, Valenciennes v Monaco, 1-1 (Valenciennes CB)
    *: delayed game played between Day #28 and Day #29.
    "Monaco comes back from Valenciennes with one point that they have not really deserved; it was due to bad luck for Valenciennes. Lead by 1-0 at half-time due to an own goal, Valenciennes throwned all their forces in the balance in order to snatch the game..." [the sentence is not finsihed; that's a misprint or 'no-printing' more exactly, if we can say so. Valenciennes tried to snath the win but they could only obtain the draw game in the end, if understood correctly].

Day #30 : Johnny Léonard, Metz v Monaco, 2-0 (2 goals, IR)
    "[...]". Cited two times, for he scored the two goals of this game.

Day #32 : Etienne Sansonetti (2), Ajaccio v Rouen, 5-3 (5 goals, IR)
    "After seven consecutive wins, the Rouennais were stopped by an ajaccienne team who were particularly in verve. The win of Ajaccio is to be credited to Sansonetti in particular, he who realized the astonishing exploit of scoring the 5 goals of his team, showing amazing authority and realism. The Rouennais never get discouraged and managed to pierce the Ajaccienne defense in three occasions".

Day #35 : Robert Herbin, Saint-Etienne v Lille, 3-0 (MF)
    "[...]" Nothing special about Herbin in the short report. The score was "too heavy" for Lille.

Day #35 : Christian Montès, Bordeaux v Sedan, 2-0 (Bordeaux GK)
    "Bordeaux has finally reconnected with victory on their field but it was not without difficulties, cause without the exceptional performance of Montès, the victory could have change camp. There was at least five chances that could have made as much Sedanais goals. Ultimately, Montès stopped everything and the Girondins prevailed by scoring one goal in each half of the game, after they had quite an uncomfortable evening."

Day #36 : André Guy, Lyon v Aix, 4-3 (4 goals, IR)
    "We thought that Aix would limit the damages, however, Leonetti opened the score since the 4th minute. it was only a start in terms of surprises and the goals came one after the others so the half-time came on the equal but abundant score of 3-3. Thereafter, Lyon obtained a fourth goal that seemed to undermine the aixois, tired by their initial efforts. The great merit of Guy has to be underlined in that match, as he scored the 4 goals of Lyon."

Day #37 : Jean-Marie Lawniczak, Red Star v Metz, 0-1 (Metz GK)
    "During the first half, Red Star created more chances than their opponent but all their tries bumped into a very good Lawniczak; on the other hand the Metzins, without playing in an exeptional fashion, thrown redoubtable counter-attacks, at the image of the one concluded by Boukhalfa who opened the score (36'). Then, Red Star reacted with vigor but in vain as they were unlucky to face an even more dazzling Lawniczak."

Day #37 : Guy Rossat, Aix v Lille, 2-1 (Aix GK)
    "Both teams seeked to impose themselves since the very start of the game and it was the Aixois who scored first (10th minute) what lead to dangerous Lilloises reactions who did not manage to equalize however.
    The second half was played in similar fashion than the first one; opened game and phisical commitment. We attended to the Lilloise equalization by Houen but Aix reacted and Darchicourt gave them the victory".
    [Thus, there's no mention of Rossat in this short report]

Day #38 : Claude Dubaële, Angers v Aix, 9-1 (2 goals, IR)
    "[...] this win will not make Angers to avoid the relegation. For that, a win of Nantes over Strasbourg was needed."
    [Angers and Nantes are neighbours. Strasbourg is Nantes's pet peeve]

Etoile d'Or : Roger Lemerre (Sedan CB), for the second time after 1966.

Note 1 : at first sight, there was less high-scoring games during that season than during others.

Note 2 : concerning Salif Keita, it was his arrival in France (1st game in November). He scored in his very first games as well as by the end of the season; knew a drought in between, noticeably in December-January, a period during which Saint-Etienne met the best teams/ best rivals successively (Marseille, Nantes... Lyon in March) and during which Keita saw the snow for the first time. He scores two or three goals again during the spring, is sometimes displaced on the wing, to finally have his best ratings by the end of the season (he's doing already better in May and scores two braces in the last two matchdays).
    We know the rest of the story (see previous posts).
    As for his 1968-1969 season, possibly the last one I'll check (at least for now; only the 2000's are remaining), I don't know yet if he'll get a 6 star rating but at first sight, the adaptation was made : he only knows a drought in terms of goals scored during the whole month of November (something that won't be the case anymore, later in his career at Saint-Etienne) and during the last three matchdays (something that will be repeated).

So, 3 : it's about to be finished as far the Division 1 goes with only the 1968/1969 season remaining. When exactly? We'll see.

21. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    1970 World Cup Quarter-finals (one player)

Franz Beckenbauer (West Germany v England)

(In the "Round of 16" which certainly means the last matchday in the groups, there are no 6 star ratings. That's all I have for this tournament so far).

Pavlin Arnaudov and Titanlux repped this.
  22. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Euro 88 (1 find)

Rinat Dasaev (USSR v The Netherlands)

By deduction in the issue #2202 which shows the ratings of two last group stage games plus the overall étoiles ranking at the end of this round : he's rated with a 4 against The Republic of Ireland and against England although he's subbed out at the 67' in this 3rd game, so he must have a 6 in his very first game, against the Netherlands since he is the overall ranking leader at this point in the tournament with a total of 14 stars.
    Moreover, later in this mag issue, in an article, this performance by him is said to be "exceptional", which match with the FF ratings scale.

There are no 6-star ratings in all of the games #2 and #3 in the group stage.
    As for the first "matchday" of the first round, I only could make the deduction for Dasaev and obviously I don't have the precedent mag issue to check if others earned such a rating. I don't have the mags for the k-o stages either.

comme and Pavlin Arnaudov repped this.
  23. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Do you know what MvB against England got?

24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I've spotted that one among the flurry of recent additions to ratings threads comme, so I'll give you a quick link now and then it's sorted - it was a 5 out of 6 anyway (in general it looks to me like France Football were judging the tournament as being less impressive in the early phases at least, for performances, than World Cup 1986 and/or maybe the standards were starting to get a bit harder re: attaining high grades)
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/the-best-players-of-euro-88.1989363/page-3#post-40901251

Pavlin Arnaudov, wm442433 and comme repped this.
  25. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    For the following one (the last one? No, not the last one, see a bit later) I don't type the comments.

1968/1969 (28 times, 23 players)

Day #2 : Jacky Simon, Bordeaux v valenciennes, 1-0 (Bordeaux, 1 goal, presented here as a MF in a 4-2-4 but also later in the season IL in a 3-2-5 then MF in a 4-2-4 again...)

Day #2 : Gérard Hausser, Metz v Rouen, 7-2 (Metz, 4 goals, LW)

Day #4 : Dominique Baratelli, Nantes v Ajaccio, 0-0 (Ajaccio, goalkeeper)

Day #5 : André Guy, Lyon v Bastia, 8-3 (Lyon, IR, 4 goals, 1 pen.)
    [no less than 9 stars are printed after the one described as "the great realizator in this match"]

Day #7 : Angel Rambert, Lyon v Nantes, 3-1 (Lyon, LW)

Day #10 : Jean-Louis Coustillet, Valenciennes v Nice, 3-0 (Valenciennes, midfielder, 3 goals, 1 pen.)

Day #12 : Henri Michel, Nantes v Bastia, 3-0 (Nantes, midfielder, 1 goal)

Day #13 : Angel Rambert (2), Lyon v Monaco, 2-0 (Lyon, LW)

Day #14 : Robert Herbin, Saint-Etienne v Metz, 4-0 (Saint-Etienne, midfielder, 1 goal)

Day #14 : Roger Magnusson & Joseph Yegba-Maya, Marseille v Nîmes, 4-0 (Marseille, RW and IL, 1 and 2 goals)

Day #16 : Salif Keita, Saint-Etienne v Bordeaux, 3-2 (Saint-Etienne, IL, 1 goal)
    "A real top-game", it is said.

Day #17 : Yves Chauveau, Lyon v Rennes, 1-0 (Lyon, goalkeeper)

Day #20 : Pierre Bernard, Lyon v Red Star, 0-0 (Red Star, goalkeeper)

Day #20 : Roger Magnusson (2), Marseille v Sochaux, 4-0 (Marseille, right winger)

Day #21 : Hubert Zénier, Bastia v Lyon, 4-0 (Bastia, midfielder)

Day #23 : Robert Péri, Bordeaux v Rennes, 3-2 (Bordeaux, central back)

Day #21 : Louis Landi, Metz v Nîmes, 0-0 (Nîmes GK)
    (delayed game played between Day #24 And Day #25)

Day #25 : Gérard Hausser (2), Metz v Marseille, 3-0 (Metz, LW, 1 goal)
    (postponed game played before Day #26 still)

Day #26 : Salif Keita (2), Strasbourg v Saint-Etienne, 0-2 (Saint-Etienne, IL, 1 goal)

Day #18 : Adolf Scherer, Nîmes v Lyon, 1-2 (Nîmes, midfielder)
    (delayed game played between Day #27 and Day #28)

Day #28 : Michel Mézy, Nîmes v Saint-Etienne, 1-0 (Nîmes, midfielder)

Day #28 : Johnny Léonard, Metz v Sochaux, 3-0 (Metz, IR, 3 goals)

Day #29 : Hervé Revelli, Saint-Etienne v Bastia, 7-2 (Saint-Etienne, IR, 4 goals)

Day #30 : Sylvester Takac, Rennes v Nice, 4-2 (Rennes, IL, 4 goals)

Day #32 : Pierre Rigoni, Lyon v Rouen, 0-1 (Rouen, goalkeeper)

Day #32 : Georges Franceschetti, Bastia v Marseille, 3-1 (Bastia, midfielder, 1 goal)

Day #34 : Angel Rambert (3), Lyon v Strasbourg, 2-3 (Lyon, LW)

18-club season.

Etoile d'Or : Roger Lemerre (Sedan), for the third time after 1966 and 1968.