6/30/05: No More Guest Spots

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by GPK, Jun 30, 2005.

1. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penalty kicks spark Fire victory-Chicago Daily Herald

Penalty kicks help Fire eke out win over United-Chicago Sun Times

Fire's June surge continues-Chicago Tribune

Fire epitome of efficiency -Daily Southtown

De Rosario's goal enough-Denver Post(AP)

Rapids crumble in loss to Earthquakes-Rocky Mountian News

On the Road, United Scores but Still Loses-Washington Post

Injuries Continue to Plague Namoff-Washington Post

Wizards disappointed in tie against Crew-Kansas City Star

Notebook: Consistency issues-Kansas City Star

Meola likes what he sees upon return-North Jersey Herald News

Goal inside final two minutes lifts Quakes-Mercury News

Ching hopes he can return from surgery this season-Mercury News

Quakes keep on shaking, but Ching undergoes surgery-San Francisco Chronicle

Paperwork pushes Broome into town-Salt Lake Tribune

Defender Broome acquired by Real from L.A. Galaxy-Deseret News

Prospective MLS team eyes Dome-Houston Chronicle

Playing site critical for MLS team here-Houston Chronicle

History is made: Menace advance-Des MOines Register

Sounders advance in U.S. Open Cup-Seattle Times

Opportunity slips away-El Paso Times

Soccer: Minnesota Thunder 2, Chicago Fire Premier 1-Minneapolis Star Tribune

Pioneers rock 'n roll-The Republican

Albright returns to training-San Bernadino Sun

Albright anxious to return to spot on back line-San Gabriel Valley Tribune

U.S. men's soccer begins preparations for Gold Cup-Seattle Times

Soccer trailblazer Lagos retires at 34-Pioneer Press

There Are Going to Be No Winners in This US Trip-All Africa.com

Baxter names Gold Cup squad-iAfrica.com

Baxter battles to get players-News 24

2. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the article: "World football governing body Fifa does not recognise the existence of the Gold Cup ..."

Does FIFA not recognize the Gold Cup simply because it's not a FIFA tournament (i.e., does FIFA also not recognize the Euro Cup and other regional cups?), or is there some specific qualification CONCACAF's Gold Cup has not met in order to be recognized by FIFA (like a regular schedule, no guest teams, etc.)? Just curious.

3. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
  4. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Here's an article in Spanish. If it's accurate it has important MLS ramifications.

La Opinion: Sin Tentaculos (Without Tentacles)

The "tentacles" reference is that Chivas USA goalie Martin Zuniga aka El Pulpo (the Octopus) has been dropped from the roster and given a position with their youth academy. Aaron Lopez is also being let go.

More importantly, I think, the article mentions Chivas USA's incoming reinforcements as Juan Pablo "el Chato" Rodriguez (sometime Mex Nat - I think he plays for Tecos); Chivas de Guadalajara's Paco Palencia (Mex Nat forward until recently) and Luis Alvarez (not familiar with him). Rodriguez would arrive after the Gold Cup, Palencia in August and Alvarez in the next few days.

5. crewcrazy17

crewcrazy17 Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Medina
  6. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    If I was another of the 11 teams in MLS, I'd take on flyer on Lopez if he's released.

In a heartbeat.

7. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why FIFA doesn't recognize the Gold Cup? Got it. Makes sense. Thanks!

Okay, any <<other>> reason?

8. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, does it really have that many consonants? I guess I never counted them.

Anyway, I was just curious whether it was true, and, if so, what the reasons might be. Thanks for being more clear this time. :)

Also, did you forget a question mark at the end of your post, or were you commanding me to understand? (HaHa, I just kill myself sometimes!)

9. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    It's actually Juan Pablo Garcia formerly of Atlas who's long been rumored to have signed with CDCU. Garcia's better than Chato.

10. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Segroves is correct about the CONCACAF teams being able to force the club teams to release players and the guest teams don't have the luxury. There was an article on Reading's website about Bruce maybe forcing them to release Convey for the Gold Cup because of FIFA's rules

11. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    A little knowledge is a confusing thing.

Thanks for the correction / clarification. I now realize that I've been thinking of the wrong player when I've been reading about JP Garcia. What position does Garcia usually play?

12. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    Why is it that the sale of the Quakes, who have more support, more history, and a decent rivalry, is so much further along but the sale of KC isn't? You figure MLS might try a bait-and-switch because of this. I don't remember who owns KC (I know AEG owns SJ). I would say if SJ is moved that they need to be on the bubble for expansion every year if a stadium deal can ever be worked out. Do something kinda like what the Ravens/Browns did when they moved to Baltimore. Contract the Quakes, expand to Club America. That way all of the Quakes stuff (records mainly) remains with SJ. They seem to be a lot like Browns fans...except for the complete insanity some Browns fans have.

I also bet CA has a lot more sense than Chivas. They have the benefit of seeing the F-up that is Chivas and would hopefully draft and sign a little better.

13. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in that case, since you just pulled the number out of your ...uh, air, I wish you had picked a number other than thirteen. I'm occasionally a little bit superstitious, you know. (I'm not usually this loopy. Must be something I ate this morning.)

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Higher costs? It costs more to play in Spartan than Arrowhead now, and it would cost more to build a new stadium in SF Bay than in KC.

15. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    The South African article is wrong, the Gold Cup is a FIFA competition and if a player is called up, the clubs can't do anything about it.

16. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, see, now I'm confused. I thought it was a CONCACAF competition? (When did they stop calling it TFC, by the way?) Do you mean FIFA "recognizes" it?

Also, by "if a player is called up, the clubs can't do anything about it", do you mean only the CONCACAF players, or players for guest teams as well?

17. sprintjeløy1926

sprintjeløy1926 New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Madwaukee
    Now I'm really confused. I thought the Gold Cup was an AFL-CIO competition.

Someone, please clarify.

18. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
  19. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I should have put a smiley face in my post. I wasn't really confused.
    :)

20. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    Well what I'm saying is if you were going to move a team, it wouldn't matter where the old stadium or whatever is. I just wish MLS would push for someont to *move* KC before they move San Jose. I'd just hate to see the Quakes moved to Houston next year and KC still playing in Arrowhead.

21. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    I would suspect that it has something to do with the ownership groups. CA approached AEG some time ago, I think while AEG owned 6 teams. If any ownership group was going to divest, it would be most likely to be AEG. Thus, over time and relationship building, and since AEG does have a team they don't want (SJ), it just made the most sense, rather than change horses and work with HSG re Wizards. Something tells me that HSG is also more caring about the Wizards staying in KC than AEG is about Earthquakes staying in SJ. Why this feeling? Because in all the dealings, Hunt has seemed like he realizes and cares about the connections he and his company builds with the communities he is in, moreso than AEG which seems much more corporate/money-driven. Case in point being the way they hire and fire people--Hunt hates firing people and gives them every opportunity (see Marty Schottenheimer and Greg Andrulis). AEG, meanwhile, removed a proven winner and fan favorite Peter Wilt in favor of a corporate hack/goon/stooge/your epithet here.

It will be interesting to see what CA does with a new team. They aren't burdened with the ethnic requirement that Chivas is, and will start with an existing team, not a bunch of castoffs coming together for the first time. If they do move SJ, it already starts with a decent team.

22. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love to point out silliness in press reports, this one from the Rocky Mt. News:

Rep points to anyone who spots the f-up.

23. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Yep, I saw that too. If the game had ended up in a draw, the Rapids would not have moved "one point closer" to the Quakes in the standings. The lead would have remained 7 points since both teams would have earned the point for a draw.

24. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    How would they move 1 pt closer with a tie? Wouldn't SJ get a point as well?

25. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Doh!

That'll teach me to read the next post.