5 things MLS needs to DO next season.

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Juan Luis Guerra, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    1- Try to convinse Giant Stadium to put natural grass at least until the beginning of the NFL season

2- No more Dragon Stadium ( and so is done )

3- avoid friday and sunday's game during the winter and more Saturday games.

4- Bring some good international players like Jose Cancela.

5- Bring more international games.

2. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6- And avoid poor international players like Mark Williams.

3. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Above all, they need better referees.

4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so does every other sport and every other league. :(

5. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7.) No overtime

8.) Straight Table

6. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl

i agree with both and especially with a straight table and have the possibility of either two eastern teams in the final or western again.

7. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl
    5- Bring more international games. [/B][/QUOTE]

more double headers..!!! especially at giants stadium. and now in chicago as well as gillette...revs attendance keeps diminishing season after season.

8. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: 5 things MLS needs to DO next season.

more double headers..!!! especially at giants stadium. and now in chicago as well as gillette...revs attendance keeps diminishing season after season. [/B][/QUOTE]

1) Definately more international games, (to whip the die-hards into a frenzy +they need the experience)

2) Serious thought needs to be put into locations of new stadiums (or is it stadia?). A big problem with attendance is that casual fans are going to frown on driving long distances (Gilette, HDC for a lot of people). Teams with stadiums in easy locations within cities are just going to get more people.

3) Put city names on Jerseys instead of team names. Let's say I am a person from Chicago, and I know jack about soccer. If I'm flipping through the channels, and I see a team with "CHICAGO" on their jerseys, I'm going to be a lot more interested than if I see "FIRE" on their jerseys.

4) Overhaul all logos. They all suck. Except for the Fire. The badge is cool. Everyone else has a lot of work to do.

5) Keep new team names as local as possible. No more "New England" or "Colorado". What city do you play in? That's your team, then.

9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. More knowledgeable refs. Hands down, number one thing. Learn the rules buddies, and then call a game.

10. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    Re: Re: Re: 5 things MLS needs to DO next season.

I think that DC United's is the best logo of the league

11. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    These are all decent suggestions of things to consider, but I don't see any as such pressing NEEDS.

Under "needs," I'd file:
    1) Replace the young stars they're likely to lose to Europe: Mathis, Beasley, Twellman? Ralph? And that's replace from both a soccer and a marketing standpoint.
    2) Get the Rochester/Chivas deal done.
    3) Announce a new stadium deal somewhere...keep that momentum going.

12. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002

These could quite possibly be the dumbest arguments I've ever read.

13. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia

yeahh!! like the patriots, rockies, panthers and.....

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1) Definately more international games, (to whip the die-hards into a frenzy +they need the experience)

2) Serious thought needs to be put into locations of new stadiums (or is it stadia?). A big problem with attendance is that casual fans are going to frown on driving long distances (Gilette, HDC for a lot of people). Teams with stadiums in easy locations within cities are just going to get more people.

3) Put city names on Jerseys instead of team names. Let's say I am a person from Chicago, and I know jack about soccer. If I'm flipping through the channels, and I see a team with "CHICAGO" on their jerseys, I'm going to be a lot more interested than if I see "FIRE" on their jerseys.

4) Overhaul all logos. They all suck. Except for the Fire. The badge is cool. Everyone else has a lot of work to do.

5) Keep new team names as local as possible. No more "New England" or "Colorado". What city do you play in? That's your team, then. [/B][/QUOTE]

1). No arguement here.

2). Well, yes. The problem is zoning, availability, cost, etc.

3). Most people who live in DC are at least vaguely aware that there is some sort of soccer team here. And the score at the top usually indentifies the team by city.

4). No. Some are better than others. The Metrostars made a HUGE improvement with their logo this season. Chicago DOES have a cool one, but DC United's logo is totally badass as well. LA's doesn't make me gag. New Englands' is at least distinctive, even from a distance. And so on...

5). Utah Jazz, Texas Rangers, [see NACIONAL's post below]

15. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    bring on good foreign coaches (ie not Hudson) either european or south ameican.

16. gswitatrophy

gswitatrophy Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Tillamook, Oregon
    1.) keep the playoffs just make it either an nfl style all 1 game or make it what we have now but a series of 2, 2 and then 1 champ game in the team who made the finals with the best records home town. gauruntees in the cities where the teams actually get attendance minus san jose a sell out or 50-60k in the big stadiums. also those teams played their asses off they deserve it.

2.) no more old mexican, korean, anythingan players they f'ing suck!! waste of the leagues cash. carlo ruiz is the type or international we need someone who is young and busts their ass. spencer from colo is another example.

3.) no little lets gear this team to mexicans or bulgarians or hungarians or whatever ideas. soccer is soccer and good soccer will draw whoever is interested. luis hernandez is a prime example of trying to attract mexicans in la.

4.) chivas usa will fail alienates everyone but the mexis who arent offended by the fact that this chivas has white guys and is in the usa.

17. Metroman12

Metroman12 New Member

Feb 5, 1999
    Baltimore
    "3) Put city names on Jerseys instead of team names. Let's say I am a person from Chicago, and I know jack about soccer. If I'm flipping through the channels, and I see a team with "CHICAGO" on their jerseys, I'm going to be a lot more interested than if I see "FIRE" on their jerseys."

That is an excellent point.

18. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Can we please fix that whole Goalkeeper substitution loophole thing?

See Eddie Gaven...

19. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    1- bring back the shootout

2- bring back more games on ESPN2 (not gonna happen)

3- give us a weekly wrap-up on espn2

4- kcwizards win the title

5- rob stone is really cool

oops...i sorta deviated from the purpose...

20. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    Strongly disagree with this. The ration of successful foriegn coaches to the ones that flop is far inferior then the ratio for American coaches. Hell, even Carlos Quieroz struggled with the Metros, this is simply a waste of money that a league which is already bleeding money does not need to subject itself to.

Bradley, Sigi (as much as Gals fans have turned on him), Sarachan, Arena, and (gulp) Gansler have been some of the most successful MLS coaches. Lets promote within the system, American coaches can handle coaching American players.
    I really don't need to see another Quieroz experiment, nor another Hudson one for that matter.

21. Mr. Knowledge

Mr. Knowledge New Member

May 10, 2001
    Baltimore
    here are 3 things I think MLS needs to do for next season

1. sign Freddy Adu
    2. break ground in Harrison, NJ
    3. MLS All Star Game-MLS All Stars v. Real Madrid

22. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    My 2 cents:

1. Sign Freddy Adu

2. Announce at least two new stadium deals by this time next year.

3. Try to get JP and Tommy to do all games.

4. No more artificial turf.

5. Cash in and sell top players to Europe. Then with Freddy Adu leading, market the crap out of the new generation.

23. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    6. Oh and get rid of overtime.

24. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sign Freddy and also kidnap Bill Gates and brain wash him then he will give a couple of billion to the league then we can raise the salaries above anything that makes sense then steal the best players in the world then laugh at the eurosnobs when they come to Big Soccer. :)
    Forward: 2012.. Remember when Real Madrid was better than Real Miami?

25. bettendor

bettendor New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Iowa
    1) I agree. Freddy would make a wonderful addition, to say the least.

2) That would be nice (particularly for Colorado and the Metrostars), but how realistic is that?

3) Why not? However, I would settle for someone competent. The star power will come with the game's growing popularity.

4) Oh yeah. Artificial turf should be banned not just for soccer, but all sports (Anyone remember Bears receiver Wendell Davis blowing out both knees on the Veterans Stadium turf 10 years ago without a soul touching him?).

5) Here is the one thing I disagree with you on. What good would it do the league if all of their top players kept leaving the country for better coin and opportunity in Europe and elsewhere? What does that say for this country? MLS should try to keep its top players so fans will keep their interest in not just the teams, but the faces, too. Marketing is key there. Look at the NBA. Yeah, it's crumbled down somewhat to a me-first situation, but it has soared in popularity because they marketed players like Jordan, Magic, Bird, etc. The teams' successes helped, of course, but people identified more with the players.

Just my two cents.