5 Man Midfield and tough tackling...

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by martymarts, Dec 2, 2004.

1. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Dude! This response has really pissed me off! Fine we can disagree, but, you can shove your holier than thou objective jibe where the sun don't shine!

The last paragraph of my detailled assessment of that article was not an apology and you know it. What I was saying was that I'm fan and I don't get paid to write my thoughts. The duty of care on a professional journalist, who does get paid, should be to show a greater degree of thought, skill and objectivity about what they write!

I do not have a problem with criticism! What I do have a problem with is; badly written, badly researched garbage articles penned by a supposed expert who doesn't know his subject! I assert that this article, like others I've seen from this source, are not good enough to publish!

I take the time to go through said article and set out exactly what I see wrong with it and this is the best response you can come up with? Either take the time to show me where my assessment is wrong or respectfully keep your mouth shut!!!

2. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Shut my mouth? I don’t think so. I just thought that you’re previous detailed post was more criticising the style of the author, rather than the points made. So here goes….

I’ve put your first two answers together because that is exactly what you should have done with the two parts of the article you quoted. Somewhere between "The greatest side in football history" and now "not even the best team in their own city". It’s so obvious! Try reading the whole article as one, some of the parts are connected! That part of the article didn’t read to me that the writer thought they were "Choking on their own hubris", but that’s how they have been portrayed in the media.

He says that the hyperbole surrounding the Arsenal of the early season who could do no wrong and that now of a crisis at the club because of a bad run of form is unwarranted. Are you saying that the writings of the media about Arsenal over the last year or so are balanced or over the top?

A germ of a fact? He said exactly what you’ve said, maybe with more flowery language, but the point is made. Talk about agreeing violently!

Wenger’s right, it is boring for spectators when teams just set out to stifle. But when he says things like this he looks childish and graceless. If teams can’t beat us playing football to match our players, then they will find another way. If that means defending and hoping for a break so be it. It’s up to Wenger and the team to find a way to break down such defensive tactics, not cry about it afterwards.

If he had brought of Dennis to be replaced by another forward, no problem. But more often than not, it’s for a more defensively minded player. That’s the crticism.

No it’s not objective, but that’s what the opposition think when Wenger cries about strong, physical play by the opposition. There was a time when Arsenal teams would fight such fire with fire and not crumple in the face of such tactics. Do I really need to point out our disciplinary record before last season?

I’ll give you that there is definitely a raciall streotype at play here. But in my opinion, Henry is an arrogant git. If you have another name for someone who doesn’t feel the need to work hard for the team when we don’t have the ball, but is quite happy to leave that chasing of defenders to his strike partner who is, 8 or 9 years his senior then I’d like to hear it. It is arrogant of Wenger to think that everyone should come to Highbury, play an open expansive game of football and get slaughtered, as they know they surely would should they try it. Like I said, stop complaining about opposition tactics, get on with overcoming them.

Maybe imperious is a bit over the top on his form of this season, seeing has he has hardly played, but in general, he’s the rock on which our defence is built. Glad to see we can agree on something, Vieira’s form has been rubbish recently.

If he’s not really injured then he should stop moaning. If he is really injured then he should sit out games until he is treated and fully fit. Playing an injured player is not the same as trying to play a player back into a bit of form!

I’m all for a settled team and would put out the first eleven every game if they were fit and up to it. I don’t particularly go for stats though and the precentages of first-team squad used means nothing to me. I suggest you ignore it too.

If you have unfit or tired first team players, then tell the world that your reserves are ready for the first team, but then refuse to spell those tired or unfit players with your reserves, you are leaving yourself open to exactly this crticism. He’s called Wenger’s reluctance to use his young players spot on as far as I’m concerned.

The writer is stating the obvious, yes. But once again, criticising the style of the piece rather than disagreeing with any specific point.

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, with regards to squad depth, the only way to develop a big squad without much money (which seems to be what some of you say is impossible to do) is to play the youngsters. Look at United's backups... DjDj and Kleberson did not cost much, Miller cost nothing, Eagles is up from the youth team, O'Shea is the same, Brown the same. Bellion was very cheap if not free. The reason they are seasoned vets compared to what Arsenal put out in the carling cup is because after 6 years with Arsenal Jermaine Pennant has less than 20 appearances for the first team.

I am not being overly critical of wenger cuz he's been successful, but that style of management produces good results right now, but makes things a bit difficult for the future, its similar to the way Brown former 76ers coach liked to coach... no time for Rookies unless absolutely necessary - I just think that if u are beating teams 4 nil and 3 nil you don't really need 11 starters... and when u are up 2 nil and have Bergkamp or Pires on the bench u can pull of Henry around 60 mins or so... again, not being too critical cuz its hard to not acknowledge his achievements.

4. tmaker

tmaker Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Seattle
    Stuff 'n' stuff

Well, johno, you know what a big Man U supporter I am ;) so I'll take this topic and run with it.

In short, you're right, of course. The youth team has to step up and become the starters. HOWEVER...along with possibly Ajax, there isn't a team in the world that has the youth system that Man U has. Arsenal certainly don't. So that's a bit misleading.

You're also right about Jermaine Pennant. He hasn't had any time consistently (or even inconsistently) in the squad to mature into a real player, though I have to say at the beginning of this year he looked much, much better. The Arsenal faithful here simply don't believe he can step up and play Premiership ball. I myself disagree, but then I'm hardly the darling of the Arsenal set, anyway.

The other problem is the winning of games 3-nil or 4-1 or whatever. The problem is...it hasn't happened when it should. In fact during the truly poor streak the Arse have had over the past month and a half, the games that should have been 3-nil or so have been nailbiters wherein we've had to fight back just to draw. Southampton for instance should have been a destroy job, just like it was for y'all last weekend. So in our current shitekrap form, Le Boss continues to play the same strategy, with the same players, and never gives the youth team time, unless absolutely impossible not to because of injury. The exception of course is Cesc, but I think Arsene wouldn't play him if he did not absolutely have to. And I'd suggest maybe Clichy could play center half, but this would be heresy; besides, Pascal Cygan is such a genius in central defense, why replace him now? It's all very frustrating.

And whatever martymarts may think, there is definitely a tendency toward arrogance in our beloved manager. Not so much a full "don't tell me what to do because I know all" sort of arrogance, but rather a "yeah, they beat us with that strategy all the time, but it's so ugly and not-beautiful to counter it that I can't be bothered" sort. Any C level coach knows that if your tactics aren't working and the opponents' are, you *change your damned tactics* at halftime, and throughout the game when possible. Congestion in midfield? Send the ball over the top! Too many passing turnovers? Tighten up the wings, play the ball backwards, then send it out! Defending like crap against set pieces? Abandon zonal marking in the penalty area and mark tightly man-to-man! Can't penetrate the defending third on the ground? Cross from the wings into the box and aim for the penalty mark! None of this is thermochemistry or biomechanical analysis. Everyone who coaches *knows* this. But Le Boss is very set in his ways. He'd rather lose beautifully than win ugly. Instead, what often happens is Arsenal simply lose ugly (Liverpool) or worse, draw ugly (take your pick of matches, this year or last).

Myself I'd rather win. As long as it's clean and fair, and not cheating, winning matters more to me than the manner in which it's done. I'll take a goal from a cheap deflection in the box. It still counts. But this is not the way Arsenal think. They have to win while playing *their* game, which is increasingly less flexible, and more easy to stifle. And while the Guardian may be completely full of crap most times, I happen to think they touch the point quite sharply here.

I've already written enough about how the team is really missing the tough British element of Keown and Parlour in the dressing room if not on the pitch. But to paraphrase our true Arsenal fans (of whom I am not one, because I dare suggest Arsene Wenger is not quite God), it doesn't matter because Arsene knows. All we have to do is keep believing and everything will work out by magic, clouds will part, rain will fall backwards up into the sky, flowers will bud and bloom overnight, and the dish won't run away with the spoon.

5. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Re: Stuff 'n' stuff

good one

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

mind if I use this for my sig? this is the funniest stuff I've read in awhile... similar thoughts we in the United camp have had when Fergie was playing defenders in midfield and wingers centrally and central players on the wing... alas, its only for a time... things will (if they already haven't) get better.

7. tmaker

tmaker Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Seattle

Sig away, johno. You're one of the good Mancs. I can only hope to be one of the real Goons.

8. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    1st I'd like to thank Michaec for coming back with a more full response! I'm not going to go over the same ground and carry on arguing the toss, but, my view hasn't change; and I'm still capable of critising and reading critism of the boys!

What I will say is that I'm amazed by some of these comments? Sorry, but, I really don't see how 2 defeats and just about the same points totals as this time last season merits such deep criticism of AW's competance; never mind the various injuries to key players?

As for the ManUre youth system, I'm sorry but most of the team we played in the CC are also runs and hasbeens before they've even done anything. We have a squad of young players that look vastly superior to ManUre's! And Jermaine Pennant had a whole season at Leeds remember. When they played us Ashly Cole ran rings around him. JP has only looked average in the CC games. Not a great platform to justify a run out ahead of FL8 in my book?