$5 for Wiz - Gals this weekend

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Bambule GK, Nov 1, 2004.

1. vladsta

vladsta Member

Jan 11, 2002
  2. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL

I dunno. They had a smallish but vocal crowd this weekend.

Mainly, I was hoping to inspire a similar move from DCU F.O. :)

3. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. It's one thing to have $5 seats available. It's another to make all seats $5.

4. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    woah, not about the KC cheerleaders?

5. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    This is what can happen when you run your own stadium (and have small crowds every week).

6. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    No way I would pay more in TicketBastard surcharges than for the event itself!!! :D

Hey if it gets more butts in the seats, good for them. I think if DCU did that, it would piss to many of us hardcore junkies off that have already bought tickets (damn 134/135 selling out before game day!!!!).

-dave

7. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Member+

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    or/and have different sources of income (advertisers, player transfers, strong merchendise, etc)

8. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    And meet their marginal goals as well.

Hopefully they can fill the place up, KC fans really have no excuse. You can bring 10 friends to the game for $50 for crying out loud and have the best seats in the house.

It would be great to see a packed Arrowhead for this game. With the tickets so cheap, maybe KC fans can spend some more money on beer and really get an atmosphere going.

The best news about all seats being $5? You shouldn't have any trouble moving to another section if this man harasses you:

[​IMG]

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Needless to say, I bet United would be much more willing to do something along these lines if they had control of concessions and parking, and weren't receiving a measley 10% of those ancillary revenues.

10. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I'm sorry but this just totally devalues the product and reeks of desparation. This is a team of professional athletes in the playoff final for crying out loud. I think I paid more to see UMd and AU soccer in the playoffs last year.

Well when our attendance is still higher than KC's we can all laugh our a$$es off!

K

11. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    They cost $7.

12. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, if you run your own stadium, you'd like to think that you wouldn't have scheduled to rent it for the Pittsburg State vs. Northwest Missouri State "Fall Classic" on the Saturday night that is a potential playoff home date, forcing you to sell $5 tickets so that someone might show up on a Friday night.

Then again, even though it's "just" Division II college football, that event drew 26,695 in 2002 and 20,324 in 2003, so I guess it's hard to say that Arrowhead shouldn't keep scheduling that game, despite potential Wiz conflict.

13. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Member+

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    If it was done as a appreciation gesture I don't think it's bad, I've seen Cup UEFA games for free when club let supporter group in for free (5000+ of us).

Tho this one just sounds like please please can we have fuller stadium for once :D

14. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    You did. Ironically enough, two years ago I saw current Wiz hero Jack Jewsbury play for St. Louis Univ. against the Terps in a Sweet 16 NCAA tourney game. It was freezing cold, but a very competitive game. Terps won it in OT 1-0.

Ticket price: $8 :)

15. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    I'm looking to rent, not buy :D

16. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    Ok. I think that clearly I took my Devil's Advocate Pills today.

What devalues the "product" more:

1) Drastically reduced ticket prices, or
    b) A less than half-full stadium?

I'll submit that's its probably a wash. Yes, there will be an asterisk next to their inflated attendance figure. But, at least on TV it will look good, not to mention that lede 'graph and the box score Saturday morning.

And, finally, perhaps having a decently attended stadium and (hopefully) a buzzed crowd will propel the Wiz towards the Cup final.

If we're looking at the Wiz as a product, reaching the final would add additional value, no?

17. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I say 25k is the over/under on whether this was a success.

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that includes a $2 returnable deposit :)

19. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, they may still just draw 10,000 anyway. In another thread, Wizards fan Andy Mead seemed to have trouble seeing a 10,000 attendance even with the promotion.

20. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Wizards fan? I just figured he was a United supporter with how often he posts around here.

;)

21. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I vote for:

3). Having the Galaxy as your opponent.

22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the problems with marketing MLS playoff games in general, I can't get too down on Wizards management for this. They can call it a gesture of appreciation to the fans if they want--that sounds nice. Spin--I mean market--it any way they want to. Get some people out there at the last minute for a playoff game I'm sure the local media isn't, for the most part, breaking a sweat covering.

23. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL

I'm sure he'll pop over here at some point, at which I hope responds as to the rationale that Friday night is so much worse than a Saturday night. I don't get stuff like that.

I have 2 kids, one plays soccer the other is too young. I play at least once a weekend. When the playoff game is announced, I check my calendar and decide if I can go.

Why is this so difficult? Are average MLS fans really this fickle? Detached? It's the freakin' conference finals.

24. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Member+

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    it's also 2 for 1 deal