5 events since 1900 that changed the World

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Scarecrow, Jul 5, 2005.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    1) The resolution of WWI and its effects on Europe.
    2) The great worldwide depression of the 1930's.
    3) The spread of Marx-inspired Communism around the world and its subsequent failure.
    4) The rise of the United States of America as a world superpower and a champion of capitalism.
    5) The tensions in the Middle East which woke with the creation of Israel, and the subsequent spread of Islamic fundamentalism.

2. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Fixed.

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, you are right. Your phrase would probably be more encompassing and more accurate.

A sixth main event could very well be the problems brought to Africa, the Indian subcontinent, and Southeast Asia by the legacy of colonialism and its demise. (I'd include Latin America in there but we'd have to go back beyond 1900.

4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could go earlier than 1900 for the other regions you mentioned as well.

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, but I think if you look at the events which I brought up, the greatest changes or developments were part of the history of the 20th century. For example, you could argue that the rise of the US as a superpower began in the 19th century, but I still consider it primarily a 20th century event. Such would not be the case with the end of European colonialism in Latin America, which belongs in the 19th century, although the effects of it are still felt to this day.

6. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which was more important.....the end of colonialism or the beginning of it?

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is that a serious question? The beggining, of course, and its not even close. I cannot begin to envision what the world would be like today if Europeans didn't colonize and change most of the world. But if we are looking at events from specific eras, and limiting ourselves to specific centuries, I'd say the end of colonialism, and the its leftover effect on the new emerging nations are still among the most significant events of their era.

8. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Actually, those tensions "woke" before English or French rule, and are probably better captured in ASF's 1st item.

Paris 1919 would probably be my #1 choice for its global implications, including the Middle East. Although the rule between the Wars was problematical, and the creation of Israel in 1948 may have worsened matters in the Middle East (if nothing else, by giving a tangible local target for Muslim anger, thereby creating a unifying factor among the various sects and tribes), the problems were already there in the early decades of the Century (Zionism, failure to be granted autonomy following the defeat of the Ottomans, and the rise in power of Wahhabism via ibn Saud). Surely the roots go back even further, but I would put the vast weight of the problem in the past 100 years.

9. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For better or for worse, I try to think what I'd learn about the 20th Century if I was alive 500 years from now:

1. Moon landing
    2. Massive rise in enfranchisement of women and minorities
    3. Atomic bombs
    4. DNA double helix
    5. Invention of the television (and the consequent rise of electronics in entertainment)

10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Beings as we're asked for events not generalities, I tried to be severe with myself about it...

1. Invention of the transistor.

2. JFK's decision to go to the moon.

3. Russian revolution.

4. Treaty of Versailles

5. Chain reaction at Soldier Field

In a hundred years I might choose the writing of the Charter of the League of Nations in place of #4, but right now the pendulum's swinging the other way...

If I could point to one event as the foundation of Chaos Theory, I'd make it number 1 and bump everything else down...

11. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD

This is a GREAT GREAT "What if?" question. I think the answer would be that the European continent would've collapsed, and the regions of Africa and America would have remained largely dependent on substistence agriculture and hunting.

Almost surely none of the technological advances of the last 200 years would have occurred.

12. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    In no particular order and given the constraints of the thread starter (no WWII)

-Ghandi-led march to protest the Salt Tax (establishing both techniques of civil disobedience and third world decolonization, beginings of end of British Empire, etc)

-Dropping of the atomic bomb

-Assassinantion of Franz Ferdinand

-Discovery of Penicillin

-Invention of transistor

13. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a completely unbiased list of events as yet unmentioned in this thread:

1918 - Margaret Sanger wins doctors the right to discuss birth control with patients
    1920 - Women's suffrage
    1963 - Betty Friedan publishes Feminine Mystique; Equal Pay Act
    1964 - Civil Rights Act (including prohibition against gender discrimination)
    1972 - Title IX
    1973 - Roe V. Wade

One should include at least one of those in any list of 5.

14. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The only part of that I agree with is that much of the world would have remained resolutely stuck in a (if you excuse the term) "primitive" society.

There's no reason at all to believe europe would have collapsed, unless perhaps through a massive war, nor to claim there'd have been almost no technological advances in the last 200 years. Just because something might have been invented in the united states doesn't mean that thing wouldn't have been invented if the united states didn't exist. It's a bit like saying that all computers would still be the size of a room and filled with valves if the Japanese hadn't pioneered microchip technology. It's almost certain somebody else would have invented it as research went in that direction.

15. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    I think someone mentioned the release of "the pill", which imo trumps all of these in terms of furthering equality of the sexes. That a woman could be sexually active and still determine whether she became pregnant or not: huge.

But, yeah... the list had been a bit yang-biased until you posted these :)

16. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD

I started a thread on this here: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216507

The resources that the Europeans have gained from their colonies in the last 500 years have been absolutely essential to the continent's development.

17. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    If discussing the US alone...

18. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, the premise of the thread was to look at singular events that shaped the World since 1900.

I submit Roswell in that it opened the eyes of the World to possiblities of actual visits from Space, perhaps even help lead to a push in the space race which of course happened years later.

19. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    This actually happened in a squash court under the University of Chicago's old football stadium (which has since been torn down and replaced with a library), not quite two blocks from where I'm sitting now.

As for my list, I'll devote it exclusively to politics:

1. June 28, 1914: The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand
    2. March 19, 1920: The United States Senate refuses to ratify the entire Treaty of Versailles
    3. December 10, 1921: The Indian National Congress gives executive authority to Mahatma Mohandas Gandhi
    4. September 5, 1905: Japan wins the Russo-Japanese War
    5. February 12, 1912: Warlord Yuan Shikai overthrows Aixin-Jueluo Puyi, last emperor of China

20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I knew that; but grey matter loses consistency as it ages... thanks...

21. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hey, I have to represent the alma mater. :D

22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    The reason I knew it or should have known it is because Mellencamp's band supposedly used the same court as a rehearsal room while learning the 50 greatest garage band songs once upon a time... or maybe it was the hundred greatest? It gets kinda like grey cottage cheese after awhile...

23. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    You left out Marilyn Monroe in the first issue of Playboy.

24. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    And Marilyn Chambers when she landed Behind the Green Door.

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I totally agree.