4NT: USA/China [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by LWare14, Jan 26, 2003.

1. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. sokrandlaw5

sokrandlaw5 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Somewhere near and f
    I was in communication with my source about the game and the US did indeed lose 2-0. I also found out why April shuffled her line. At least five players were on IVs before gametime: Millie, Mac, Sobs, Hucles, and Ally. Some were worse off than others. Hucles, for example, played a full 90 and in three different positions because of the lineup and subs. Millie came in during the second half feeling a little better. Ally didn't come in until late in the second half.

Given the conditions reported (an icy rain) and the high pressure of the Chinese players, along with the physical problems from the "bug" Joy reported on her web site (half the team now has it), I would say that the results are not all that surprising.

3. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a chinese conspiracy I tell you!!!!! They had poison in those cheese burgers from the HardRock Cafe they went to!! lol

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

5. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    Bless their hearts! I can't imagine doing anything well while being cold and sick, much less playing soccer.

6. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    The weather sounds lousy. I'm not trying to make excuses... the Chinese won, but Scurry was not in goal, and "several US players were sick". We are going to have play better to come out on top... and I doubt that Norway will beat China.

7. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet

I am suspicious as 10 people sick at the same time, it looks like they put somekind of germ into their foods, its probably not that dangerous one but just make them feel uncomfortable in their stomach, because this is a very important tournament for them in order to get people attantion which will be a base for world cup success.

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Hey Dr. Lane I propose you should be the team doctor this year or are you making way too much $$$ on this small pox thing?

:D

9. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    :D

10. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    I hope they find a way to solve the food/water problem by September. Being sick from "bugs" would be a lousy way to bomb out of the tournament.

11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think many teams travel with their own food and water in order to avoid this very kind of problem.

Often just a radical change in diet can produce symptoms very much like food poisoning or even flu. This kind of thing should be avoided, or at least limited, when professional teams are traveling to areas with very different food.

Also there are some benign bacteria that are slightly different everywhere and it can take time for the body to adapt to those.

With the lesser traveling the US has done, compared to the past therefore less exposure to other country’s cuisine, it would not be out of the question for there to be nothing "really" wrong. Rather it could be just and adapting to the local fare situation. Just as unpleasant but less threatening.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Having spent four weeks in east asia last summer, don't discount the air. About a week in to my trip, the polution caught up with me and I was real sick for about two days, but thankfully most antibiotics and the like are over the counter so I medicated myself back into health.

13. BB99

BB99 New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Standings??

Four Nations Tournament Standings
    Team GP W L T GF GA GD PTS
    China 2 1 0 1 2 0 +2 4
    USA 2 1 1 0 3 3 0 3
    Germany 2 0 0 2 1 1 0 2
    Norway 2 0 1 1 3 5 -2 1

Jan. 23 in Yiwu
    USA 3, Norway 1
    China 0, Germany 0

Jan. 26 in Wuhan
    Norway 2, Germany 2
    China 2, USA 0

How are they scoring the tournament points? I would expect the points to be:

China 3 pts (win, tie)
    USA 2 pts (win, loss)
    Germany 2 pts (tie, tie)
    Norway 1 pts (loss, tie)

14. sokrandlaw5

sokrandlaw5 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Somewhere near and f
    Re: Standings??

I believe they are using three points for a win and one for a tie. Thus:
    China 4pts
    USA 3pts
    Germany 2pts
    Norway 1 pt

15. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    Re: Standings??

we don't use 2 point system anymore in soccer men or women anywhere in the world, its an old style system. instead 3 for win, 1 for the tie.

17. kra2800

kra2800 New Member

Nov 1, 2002
    It was not just some little bug that got the players. Several of them were so sick they recieved IV's to counter act severe dehydration. It is no wonder they were not up to the Chinese.

18. BB99

BB99 New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Re: Re: Standings??

Thanks for the explanation...helps to know the rules.

19. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Standings??

So, if the USA beats Germany and China either ties or loses, they would win:

USA 6 pts
    China 4 or 5 pts

If the USA ties and China loses, they and Norway would all have 4 points. I wonder what tie breakers would come into play then?

20. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Re: Re: Standings??

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=26751&itype=113&iCategoryID=0