4 Sellouts in a Row, Could It be Done?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. SOCCER NATION, Jun 22, 2008.

1. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    I must admit, I did not think that we were going to sell-out against Columbus but looking at our upcoming home games:

07/04 - Friday New England Revolution

07/10 - Thursday Chivas USA 8:00 p.m.

08/21 - Thursday Chicago Fire

We have an opportunity to sell-out the next three home games making a total of four sell-outs in a row.

Do you think its possible, if so, will this be a new record in terms of sell-outs in Galaxy history??

2. CSUFstewie

CSUFstewie Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Placentia, CA
    LASN ... I agree, I was not expecting to draw such a huge crowd against columbus. It was packed last night! Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. I could handle a full stadium every night!

3. y-o-y

y-o-y New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    LBC
    Keep in mind that last night's game was one of two (I think) STH ticket exchange games (i.e. STHers were allowed to exchange tickets to upcoming games for extra tickets for the C'bus game). With that in mind, it is likely the "holy cow we sold out against C'bus" effect was, to a certain extent aided by the ticket exchange effect.

4. hehe

hehe New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    two thursdays and a friday....that would be impressive if it happens

5. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will happen. I guarantee it :)

6. sacris00

sacris00 New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Burbank
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IT IS POSSIBLE...:)

7. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations on your sellout last nite.
    The Home Depot Center looked and sounded great
    (except for the field).

Now get out there and support our national team
    next time we have a match there.

8. matador098

matador098 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    I think those games will definately sell out. Who knows maybe people will want to keep it going and make it 5 in a row after that.

9. FutbolConvert

FutbolConvert New Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Sellout does not equal full stadium. There were still a lot of empty seats at the game on Saturday. MLS attendance numbers are tickets issued (sold or given away via promotions) not actual bodies through the turnstiles on game day.

Last year I believe every game post Beckham was technically a sell out but after the initial rush and Beckham's knee injury the HDC was often half to 3/4 full but if you checked MLS's website you saw the attendance reported as 27,000.

10. gswitatrophy

gswitatrophy Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Tillamook, Oregon
    I would say you had about 1k if that in empty seats in the "club seating section" besides that, the place was packed! You usually can tell if it really is a "sell-out" when the corners of the upper deck are full.

11. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm doing my part. I just bought 9 tix for the 4th of July game. Living in the Bay Area, I don't get to see too many Galaxy home games. Though that Oakland game against SJ was basically a home game.

12. TrebleDevil99

TrebleDevil99 New Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Pretty amusing. I was at one of the Superclasico games last year and there must have been 10,000 empty seats. Chivas only had about 500 fans up on the grass bank. Still billed as a 27,000 sellout though.

It's a far cry from when I used to go to games in 1980's Scotland, when grounds would be overflowing and then you'd see the attendance being 11,000. Surely the gate receipts were being accurately reported to the relevant authorities??? :)

13. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure it wasn't the last SuperClassico game of last season in September. That one was reported as 23,328

14. UNION S.C.

UNION S.C. Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ordered my tickets for the 4th of July game this afternoon and the ticket rep told me that most of the seats have been filled and that only small pockets of empty seats were left in most sections. See you at the game. I'll be in the middle in the upper deck. Go Galaxy!!

15. awjm

awjm New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    What do you think US soccer will be like in say... 5 years?

16. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. But they didn't have to open "Lalas Hill" for overflow seating, so I am not sure it was a true sell out.

17. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    TBH, as an outsider, it seems to me, with the team doing pretty well and Beckham now playing regularly and on top of that, playing well, along with the likes of Donovan and Buddle, one would think the stadium (only 27k?) would be figuratively packed to the rafters, every week?! You think they would even be turning people away! Sure, I can understand the 'Beckham Novelty Factor' wearing off a little, but now things seem to be clicking into gear, LA Galaxy tickets should be pretty hot right now? I'd be going for sure :p .

Though yeah, your current attendances are pretty good it seems anyway. But with surely plenty more 'soccer' fans around LA/Southern California or what have you, there's well over 10 Million people in Greater LA and surely there's enough soccer fans amongst them, there must be atleast over 100,000 involved in soccer someway, to cause demand to exceed supply (of tickets)? And surely local interest in the Galaxy should be as high as it just about has ever been (bar Beckham signing hype)?

This club should be striving to the point where they're truly the hottest ticket in the town, every week (Big ask I guess, with NBA, NFL, NHL about or whatever, but it's not unrealistic especially with Beckham about and the stadium not that large in capacity).

18. L.A. SOCCER NATION

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Believe it or not, the Lakers playoffs run was indeed having an effect and hurting our attendance. Angelinos were staying home on the weekends and following the Lakers til the finals. That is the reason that I have good feeling about the next four home games, I really beleive that they will all sell-out aswell. Right now the Galaxy has a great chance to increase its attendance, there is no College Football or Basketball, Baseball (Dodgers/Angels) playoffs dont start until October etc...

19. FutbolConvert

FutbolConvert New Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Sorry but to me the more important figure is the actual number of bodies through the turnstiles. I've been to "sold out" games with lots of empty seats and a bad atmosphere. I wish the MLS would release actual attendance numbers and not tell us that 27,000 people were at a Galaxy game simply because all the tickets were sold or given away.

20. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've thought this at times this season, too, but then people pointed out to me that ticket prices went way up this year. Whether that keeps attendance down - who knows - but I would say yes.

I think people are just catching on that the games are pretty entertaining too, in contrast to the last several years of suffering.

The team seems to be doing a lot of special deals lately to sell all those tickets & I applaud their efforts. Sounds like the 4th will be a sellout for sure, and I wouldn't really be surprised if most of the rest of the games were the same, especially of we keep improving our play.

21. L.A. SOCCER NATION

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    You have to understand that this aint Europe or South America where fans sit, cheer sing and jump from their seats for an entire game. I am one that when I attend Galaxy games, I like to walk around, buy a beer or just watch the game from the standing areas.
    The way business is handle is simple:
    1) You promote the team and sell tickets
    2) Consumers buy tickets which the goal is to sell 27,000
    3) Game day arrives 27K have been sold and only 26K show up due to whatever reason.

You mean to tell me that you want a report from the Galaxy saying:
    "Well, we sold out but for the following reasons only 26K were in the stands."
    In terms of business it doesnt make no sense at all:confused: This happens in all leagues around the world including the NBA, NFL etc...

I had bought tickets for Game 5 of the NBA final between the Lakers and Celtics. Unfourtanetly, due to car problems I did not attend the game:mad: In this case, you think the Lakers are going to say "Well, we cannot say it was a full house today because LASN which purchased two tickets in Section 101 was not able to make it." Give me a break!

22. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch! Now that really hurts!

23. TrebleDevil99

TrebleDevil99 New Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Houston, TX
    It was in August - the game when Beckham flew back from playing for England the night before at Wembley.

Chivas won 3-0 and there was a minor ruck just on half-time that saw a couple of red cards.

24. hehe

hehe New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    that was a chiva home game

25. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Do they have a thing where if the seats remain empty at a certain point after the commencement of the game, then for some people still queued up outside, they get those seats?

I know in some cases, you get new sections opened up, or what have you, in some circumstances. But I guess it must only be in cases where the seats were not actually already sold, I guess.

BTW Having sell outs but say being 1k short or something can be expected, but if only 11,000 or something turn up, then surely fans who just rock up and attempt to buy tickets at the gate, should get an opportunity, given the apparent lack of a turnout?