4-6 formation?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Excape Goat, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I believed that Carlos Alberto Parreira said that the 4-6 formation will be the formation for the future. Basially, it plays with 4 defenders and 6 midfielders who constantly switched positions. It is similiar to how Man Utd plays Tevez, CR7 and Rooney, but they use all 6 outfielders.

Anyone wants to say something about this interesting concept.

2. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    The 4-6-0 isn't really playing 0 forwards though, it is just a 4-5-1 with players constantly changing positions to create mismatches, it can be very effective if you have technical and versatile players like Manchester United has.

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Meh... I wouldn't say United employ a 4-6. Rooney is generally charged with being the centre forward with Tevez in the space behind him. Ronaldo drifts around and unless Rooney is given a role to lock down one flank, Ronaldo plays from the wing (not on the wing).

Its probably closer to a hybrid 433/442 than a 46.

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I know it isn't Man Utd. I am trtying to say Man Utd uses 3 players who interchange, but Carlos Alberto Parreira said that he it will be 6 players who interchange.

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I understand, I was responding to the post above mine.

United played something very close to a 46 which was dubbed total football or the closest thing to it in some time season before last. Even Cruyf was praising it. When Saha was fit he started as the CF but he'd drift all over and with Rooney, Ronaldo and Giggs in support of him, they are all natural drifters with Rooney having loads of experience on the wing and up front, the same for Ronaldo and for Giggs. Add in Scholes who started his career as a forward who is known for his ability to move into great positions in an unassuming manner and Carrick who began to look like he could be more than a deep lying playmaker that year - and you had a fluidity in midfield and attack where you assumed that Scholes and Carrick would be the furthest back midfielders but that routinely United would have 8 players in the opposition half.

Even Rio Ferdinand got into advanced positions more often that year, to devastating effect. Patrice Evra was virtually another attacker who wasn't restricted to overlapping and popped up anywhere in his half (laterally speaking) of the field, it all added up to a marrauding machine that produced goals from every perceivable angle. Ronaldo was the highest goal scorer, but there were good goal hauls from several players and United scored a tonne of goals the season following the sale of one of its greatest ever goal scorers.

I think that without Ronaldo's morph into a super-finishing WF and man amongst boys in the league and with a healthy Saha, United would be more dangerous as a unit.

However United is hardly the only team that looks like this... Sevilla may have had set forwards but for years they've had players scoring goals from everywhere including Baptista (who stole all the credit) but also Renato and others. Valencia are playing with a midget as their target man, Barcelona often play full matches with 2 central defenders and Yaya Toure as the only players with any thought towards defending. Roma have an interchanging system where a flanker like Vucinic plays through the middle while drifting or a link like Totti plays furthest forward or as the most forward central threat. Villareal don't get goals from as many places but they've got a free-flowing attacking team as well.

All that just to say that the concept of attacking with more than your attackers and from more non-traditional positions is becoming more common (again).

Cicinho and Alves are playmaking RBs. Zambrotta and Zanetti are 2 enormously gifted players who could play in many advanced positions who fit in at FB for much/all of their careers.

Hmmmm... there's an Argentine I'm forgetting, LB/LM who plays virtually the entire left flank whenever he plays, literally from one goal line to the other for almost the entire match at a whim.

It certainly is making for interesting football and calling for defenders and defensive schemes to be more thorough.

6. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    It works when you have extremely talented, versatile midfielders that can link up well with one another. man utd is an example when they have rooney tevez ronaldo interchanging play. brazil tried fielding robinho, ronaldinho, kaka without a #9 and they did well during that spell as well. it heavily depends on the types of players available.

7. Twix

Twix New Member

Apr 28, 2007
  8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    But a 4-6 isn't an accurate description.

What's really going on is that you'd still be playing a 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1).

It's just that the top two could be any of the 6 at anytime.

No matter how you look at it, someone (or 2) is still playing in the forward position at all times.

9. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    well, i think 4-6-0 isn't really apropiate or good, you NEED to have a player to flost in defense line.

if all your players defend, when you steal the ball all your players are marked by the players that they was marking.

you need a players always far from adversaries.

10. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    Barca played a 4-6 last season for a couple of games, they did okay