4/21/05: And We Poked Fun...

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by mpruitt, Apr 21, 2005.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Thanks, I'd seen that one but thought that it was an old article. Guess I was mistaken.

3. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    File this one under "No ******** Sherlock". Who would have guessed that those involved in contact sports would have more injuries than swimmers and tennis players?

4. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the Chron's date/time stamp is a little misleading. For example, this column has an April 20 time stamp, but it's printed in today's (April 21) paper. I think their time stamp usually indicates when the piece was posted on the web page rather than when it was published in the paper. In general, they print a Glenn Davis column on soccer in every Thursday and Sunday sports section. They also print a full page devoted to soccer on Tuesday.

Thanks very much for finding all these articles. This daily thread is easily the best part of this site.

5. BanglaBlue

BanglaBlue Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Dublin
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    I have hated those eejits at Setanta ever since I started going to Summers to watch games 10 years ago. The do appear to have gone somewhat crazy:

The channel is dedicated to distinctly European football (soccer) from
    enormously popular football countries such as England, Ireland, and Scotland
    and also carries an increasing number of European and world-class rugby
    events.

A-hem.

PS
    Why not just call it the "Old Firm and Manchester United Channel"?

6. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does this mean MLS no longer has to buy time for any of its games, including those on ABC?

7. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. crewcrazy17

crewcrazy17 Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Medina
    I think that the ESPN2 games are apart of the WC package that SUM sold to ESPN. ESPN probably got a discount because they are airing the MLS games, so in essence, MLS is still paying for air time through lost revenues.

9. kuhl

kuhl BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 21, 2002
    St. Paul
    Doesn't Ryan Suarez have an endorsement deal with the Full 90 folks? Nice how he managed to plug the product:

"I don't much care for what people have to say about wearing the headgear ... but that thing, the Full 90, saved my dome from getting split wide open."

Ryan if you want to go around wearing some piece of underwear on your head thinking that it will protect you from concussions more power to you. However, I for one feel it made no difference in the severity of your injury.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Soccer players are more likely to suffer injuries in their sport than gymnasts, tennis players and swimmers, researchers said on Thursday."

They needed a study to tell them this? It's a contact sport. The other three are not.

I need to get one of those cush university jobs that receives big grants to study common sense issues.

11. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Didn't he get hit in the back of the head?

How would the headgear, with it's pad in the front protect him from that?

12. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    For a bit I was thinking about having the thread title be, 'Troy Aikman says hello.'

13. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I thought it was a nice balance to the Suarez story...

14. Derek

Derek New Member

Jan 23, 2000
    I agree. His injury certainly isn't a ringing endorsement for the product (unless you include the ringing in Suarez's ears).

15. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    I almost said clowns like Suarez should wear these things. If he's going to pull people down in the box, and then try to avoid the penalty by diving headlong into his own goalkeeper (WHAT A ********ING **************!), perhaps he needs "special" protection.

But then, this has been one of the criticisms of these stupid things all along: that players wearing them might play more aggressively goonish. Look how grid football evolved along with its equipment - you're a lot less likely to "spear" someone without the helmet.

16. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Finally, a great program that will most definitely prove fruitful. If Chivas or the Galaxy were smart, they could set up a successful minor league team in Santa Ana. The city residents go nutsNUTS!! about their local leagues, which are semi-semi-pro. (A player can earn about 200 bucks a month.) LA Times had an article about it roughly a year ago.

(Santa Ana is a predominantly Latino city.)

17. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the article doesn't tell much of anything. Of the half of the 203 athletes, which sports had the greatest representation 10 years later? It doesn't say. It just mentions that half of them are still playing. There could be almost zero gymnasts left. It is possible that injuries which occur are more performance threatening to the gymnast then the soccer player.

A better question: How many soccer players come back from ACL surgery and how many gymnasts comeback after the same procedure?

Perhaps I am saying that the severity of injuries is different than the frequency.

18. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    They could team up with this one and plow more resources into it. But you're right, this is a different kind of deal that I've seen. Good on 'em.

19. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a bit about the Full 90 on Fox Soccer USA which made it sound like it wasn't that lame. It reduces the severity of the impact, thus reducing the likelihood that any given impact would cause a concussion. Suarez might well have split his skull otherwise, or had a far worse concussion. And I think they're padded all around, not just in front.

20. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soon we'll see a commercial on FSC with Ryan Suarez saying, "Full 90 saved my LIFE, AND my marriage"