4/20/04 Dwayne De Rosario Day of Fun

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by mpruitt, Apr 20, 2005.

1. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Honda Super Classico Darby Cup
    Soccer vs. Fútbol, Galaxy vs. Goats -- L.A.'s Ethnicity as Sport - LA Times

This Rivalry Cutting Its Teeth - LA Times

Guppy
    Guppy's resume stronger than his fan support - Chicago Sun Times

Business ... with heart for soccer - Daily Southtown

Stadium/Expansion
    San Antonio near MLS goal - Dallas Morning News

Players and fans think bouncing seats rock - Washington Times

Ledecky announces bid to buy Nationals - Washington Times

Ledecky-Led Group to Bid For Nationals - Washington Post

Hall of Fame
    Harkes, Ramos, Balboa to Enter Hall of Fame Together - Washington Post

Balboa, Ramos, Harkes ticketed for Soccer Hall of Fame - (AP)

Balboa gets kick out of Hall call - Boulder Daily Camera

Balboa gets hall call _ Denver Post
    Towards the end: Some people had been looking for this.
    The Rapids Reserve team drew 2-2 with Real Salt Lake last week behind two goals from draftee Sasha Gotsmanov, a native of Belarus and a Rhode Island product. ... The Kansas City Wizards signed former Colorado College standout Patrick McGinnis to their developmental roster last week. McGinnis, 22, an alumnus of Air Academy High School, led Division III in scoring in 2004 with 39 goals.

Ramos, Harkes together again - Oneonta Daily Star

Ramos, Harkes voted into U.S. Soccer Hall - Jersey Journal

Ex-Aztec Balboa elected to soccer Hall of Fame - North County Times

Rapids defender elected to Hall of Fame - 9NEWS

MLS/General
    MLS front offices need some international flavor - Ft. Worth Star-Telegram

Revs' hot start is out of character - KC Star

Even as a reserve, Preki happy to play - KC Star

Freddy Adu, Getting a Kick Out of Golf - Washington Post (I swear this is an old story)

United lose Namoff for three-to-four weeks - (AP)

Crew lose Oughton for the season - USSoccerPlayers.com

Soccer Plays on the Big Screen - NY Times(I don't think we saw this yesterday) Note: It's about Hooligans not GOTL.

Earthquakes goalie hits a rough patch - SJ Mercury News

RSL Notes: RSL looks for grassy practices - Salt Lake Tribune

Mexico beats Indiana soccer 2-1 - Indiana Daily Student

As Bugmenot has never worked for me I took the time to set up accounts for these things. We'll see how long they work.
    email: dailynewsthread@hotmail.com
    Password: either bigsoccer or bigsoccer1

2. Gaffer69

Gaffer69 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    NC
    This is a Stoner Day reference ?

3. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  4. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Tickets for the doubleheader game June 4 against FC Dallas went on sale Monday. Team officials said 17,000 tickets were sold on the first day, meaning the game should be sold out by the end of the week."

Wow.

5. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Who knew that RFK had bouncing seats? Good thing baseball came back to town to remind everyone. It would have been such a waste for those seats to go "unbounced" since the Redskins moved out.

Oh, silly me. DC United has been using RFK for the last 10 years. Who knew?

6. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely...my feeling is one of astonishment that there's all this hoopla over what is, let's not forget, the utterly hapless Expos coming to town in new uniforms meanwhile the only team to consistently bring championships to DC since the end of the Skins run is an afterthought...if thought of at all. I do not understand my fellow American sports fans sometimes...

Although maybe people coming to RFK for the first time will say, "Hey who are DC United, they're pretty good."

Pains me to say it as a Revs fan, but as a soccer fan hopefully it happens.

7. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Those seats are so beloved that I hought people might like seeing them get a little pub. People really need to get over the fact that every time there's an article about the Nationals that United isn't mentioned.

8. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You ain't shitting. A nats sellout IN A 50,000 SEAT STADIUM!

Take that, Birmingham!

9. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    If they're talking about 17k sold now and the rest gone by the weekend then maybe we're dealing with some kind of reduced soccer capacity?

10. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and wow. That's a lot of press for a Wednesday.

11. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Probably.

But it's likely that the seating will be opened up for anyone that wants seats.

Will check with the front office.

12. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly. But they're talking 17,000 on Monday. If it were a reduced soccer capacity, I'd expect that to be the 25,000 they had for the opener. In which case, they'd've said the rest gone by today. Or yesterday.

13. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  15. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    good one...

16. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    From the bouncing stands article:

They may grow so popular that HOK Sports, the architects designing the new Southeast ballpark, might be lobbied to recreate the bouncing stands in the Nationals' new home. (If someone can charge more to sit there, they will find a way to incorporate bouncing seats.)

I would be so mad if the Nat's new stadium gets bouncing stands and DC united's new stadium does not (if we get a new stadium).

17. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nope...Rice Eccles will be opened (and sold out) to its full capacity, 45k+... :D

18. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Although I tend to agree with your point, it is not entirely accurate, IMHO.

Yes, I don't have a problem with Nationals or baseball articles not mentioning United, and in fact it would be silly for all of those articles to mention United/MLS, but this is an article about the stands, the bouncing ones at RFK. Yes, the Nationals are the main focus as people have re-discovered the bouncy stands, and they like them.

But the problem is that the Redskins, and in this case the 1983 NFL playoffs are the reference, and truly an apt one given the Washington sports fans fond memories of Gibbs Era I. There's no mention of United winning MLS Cup in a packed RFK in 1997. It is almost like this http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/history/archive.jsp?year=1997&content=cup never happened.

And it is just surprising to me that DC United, a team that currently shares the stadium, heck the dual-use aspect of RFK Stadium is what allows the transportable-via-tracks seating sections to bounce and this is what the article was about, and this same United team that has drawn 15,000 or more fans rather consistently for 15-18 games for the past 10 years can't even catch a mention, nor can any of their solid supporters groups who've kept the stands bouncing.

I wonder why/how journalists can write articles like this that ignore things that have happened in RFK's history, its recent history. Did this columnist know of the stands have being bounced at RFK during MLS games for the last decade? Did he think it wouldn't add to his story to include that fact? Did he intentionally leave it out? Did his editor ask him to leave it out, or demanded that he do so? Whatever the case, it is interesting.

I'm just guessing this is an area of discrepancy between the Times and Post in Washington.

19. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the Post has baseball guys like Boswell who actively hate soccer and want it our of their baseball stadium.

20. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Well, RSL's front office said additional seating will be open to anyone that wants a ducat above and beyond the 25k seating format.

21. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that case, an early congratulations to y'all. Sounds like it's going to be a blast. It'll be interesting to see how many Ticos fans are there.

22. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Especially when the plan was to replace the bouncing seats with something easier for the grounds crew to work with during the renovation for baseball; they're only still there because the DC United front office lobbied the DCSEC hard for them because United's supporters have loved them for so many years. If it wasn't for the soccer team, the baseball team's supporters wouldn't get to experience the bouncing seats.

23. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Suarez the guy who wears that 90 minute helmet? I remember him being part of the mini-advertisement for the helmet in one of the shows. I guess the helmet didn't help him after all.