34 - The other teams thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Achtung, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red 11

Red 11 Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems Ashley Cole has just been caught speeding again. He told the police he was in a hurry because he'd heard John Terry's car was parked outside his house....

Thank you! You're beautiful! I'll be here all week!...

2. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What's brown and kills babies?

john terry's wallet. :eek:

3. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO3TJEseWAQ"]YouTube- Jose gives his take on the transfer window[/ame]

4. GrodZilla

GrodZilla Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The difference is that while Anelka keeps racking up transfer fees in a record breaking manner, Keane seems to be given away more or less every other change of clubs.

5. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fabbio Capellos just phoned Wayne Bridge up and said "Ive spoken 2 John Terry and hes lost the captains armband. Do me a favour and have a look under your bed for it...

...Badda-Boom-Bing... - Joey from Friends kidz

6. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    It's a growing pain imo, ironically very much like Martinez at Wigan. Given how much Sunderland had spent in the years before he came, and the number of players Keane had brought in, they couldn't do a complete overhaul in one season, so he is sticking with some players that either are not good enough or do not suit his philosophy. Bruce did have money to spend this past summer: Bent (10m), Cana (6mn), Cattermole (5mn), Campbell (3.5mn) & Turner (undisc) but all of these guys have looked anything from good, to absolute quality. I was surprised to see no sales from them this January (I figured at least 4-5 peripheral names would be on their way to clear space), but I expect to see by Sep 1, 2010 very few holdovers from the Keane era (A. Reid, K. Jones, C. Gordon and probably Richardson are the only certain ones I can think of). I don't think the Sunderland board are worried about him to be honest, they have witnessed a manager in-over-his-head in Keane and surely notice the difference in the 'attitude' of the club/players/supporters/etc with Bruce in charge, that is something they will want to hold onto.

Similarly with Martinez, Wigan are far worse off right now (though they are also a smaller club with 'lesser aspirations') but his budget is also considerably smaller. If you look at Wigan's squad there are a lot of players that don't suit how Martinez would rather play, or who are just a bit dodgy (yet dodgy players that Bruce knew how to get the best out of). To add to the plight, Martinez came straight from Swansea and as Jason Scotland has shown, even his best players there were not good enough for the Premiership. Yet he has brought in a number of players who look like they could contribute with time, and has really focused on teenagers and low-cost, high-potential signings.

I've got faith in Sunderland & Wigan's boards though, that if they can keep the faith and stick with their managers, they will be considerably better off by the end of next season for it. For Martinez all he needs to do until then is stay in the league, for Brucie he needs to at least be competitive in terms of midtable finishes and no extended relegation-zone scares.

Maybe I am being a bit idealistic here, but the global recession coupled with a) the failures of fickle, kneejerking boards such as Newcastle and b) the successes of clubs that have been loyal to their managers (e.g. Villa, Everton*) could hopefully mean that the 'poor first three months = automatic sacking' mentality that developed over the last decade or so in the Premiership will fade away. Not holding my breath, mind.

*Villa in their first season under O'Neill struggled for the first while, but Moyes is the perfect example. After flirting with a CL spot in his first season (02/03) they went on to finish 17th his second season (03/04), and after finishing 4th in 04/05 they again spent most of 05/06 in the relegation race only to be pulled out by a run of late-season form. Countless other clubs would have tried to 'build' on Moyes' success as soon as he hit either of those stumbling blocks (especially as his prior seasons had each given a good 'base' to build from), but credit to Everton who deserve what they have got the last few years for sticking with him.

He has always had a reputation for being a knob amongst young players here, in fairness (Andy Reid too, and one or two others). Most of the praise gets saved for Kilbane, Given, Dunne and the likes. It is a reason why many questioned him being named captain at first (he actually has doen quite well as a 'striker captain' though, in that they rarely have enough influence to be of much use), but many -myself included- would still rather Given, or preferably Dunne be named captain.

I wouldn't really say 'given away' but yeah, it is a bit up-and-down.

1999: Wolves --> Coventry, £6mn
    2000: Coventry --> Inter, £13mn
    2001: Inter --> Leeds, £12mn
    2002: Leeds --> Spurs, £7mn
    2008: Spurs --> Liverpool, £19mn
    2009: Liverpool --> Spurs, £12mn

Total: 6 transfers, £69mn
    --Anelka meanwhile has raked up roughly £85mn in transfers

If Celtic make it permanent though, the deal is not going to be for anything even approaching eight figures, my guess would be £5-7mn. It is a shame though that Inter had a managerial change-over when Keane was there so young. Cuper turned out to be an awful manager imo and entirely neglected some good young players. Not to say Keane would have necessarily made it at Inter (he might have, tough call) but with a Ferguson or Wenger-type managing him in his teens/early 20s, it could have done a world of good for his game in general.

7. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    of course Cuper was awful (at Internazionale anyway). only manager ive known to bring on 2 defenders when losing a game

8. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Imagine if Keane had slave masters like Tevez, they'd make a lot of money.

9. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    so City let Benjani go on loan to Sunderland.

with Robinho gone and Weiss too (though i guess he's not really a forward) i guess they are putting all their golden eggs on RSC's knee and Tevez/Adebayor leading the line the rest of the campaign.

10. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm very surprised by that move actually. I thought Mancini explicitly said that they were light on forwards when RSC went down, and that's why they weren't gonna let Robinho go. Now they lose both Robinho and Benjani?......maybe they've got a new formation in mind.

11. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    They are still more than fine up front. I don't really where this is coming from, their abundance of strikers was one of the main jokes of the summer transfer window?

Strikers: Ade, RSC
    Forwards: Tevez, Bellamy
    Wing-forwards: Bellamy, SWP, Petrov... Tevez or Ireland if needed

With no CC final or European football, that is plenty of guys to get a two or three-man frontline out of for the remainder of this season and even allows for some injuries.

12. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i guess since they have been playing Bellamy out wide lately i didn't really put him in the forward role. RSC will get hurt again once he's back.

but yeah, they should be more than fine when you lay it out like you did.

13. Nebs

Nebs New Member

May 5, 2004
    Croatia
    Club:
    Zulia FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    How many games Chelsea have started and have been losing? Sigh, again coming back. 1:1

14. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ashley Cole was asked to explain why he was speeding at over 130MPH he replied " I got a call to say John Terry's car was outside my house!"...

...I'm here all week boys and germs...

15. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    Taxi for you

16. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There was no chance of them losing this game. The only good point is that yet again they are shakey defending setpieces. Better teams than Hull will take advantage of that eventually.

17. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Hmmm, Hull complaining that the wall was not ready...

18. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
  19. Nebs

Nebs New Member

May 5, 2004
    Croatia
    Club:
    Zulia FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Yes! FT 1:1

Great game, Hull.

20. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    This could be huge for us, we must take advantage now.

21. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Good job by Hull. Only two points behind now. It's in our hands now....

22. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    Sucks that we have to count on Arsenal for a result.

23. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done Hull, well done.

24. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Not really. If we win all of our Prem games, we will be champs again.

25. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ok, i'll take that scoreline. [​IMG]

we just need to do our job.