34 - The other teams thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Achtung, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  2. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    I think I said this before, but I'd wet myself if we could sign Fabregas. Won't happen though. If you believe that the owners will seek to appease the green and gold muppets with a big signing, who do you see us going for?

3. PhiloBarca

PhiloBarca Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In footballing terms, it wouldn't necessarily be the most optimal move, especially in the short term. But it wouldn't be a move pursued primarily for footballing reasons or the short term. We spent all our transfer money this past summer on a CF and CB, none of which were immediate priorities.

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There are a host of reasons it might happen.

The lack of competitiveness on Arsenal's part

Our need to replace Scholes and Giggs AND maintain creativity

The need for another marquee player to take pressure off Rooney

Cesc's suitedness to the PL

His age and pedegree make it easy to bid a great deal for him

We can guarantee him PT

He'd actually be a great fit for our midfield alongside Carrick and Fletcher

As a goal scoring threat through the middle, he might be our 2nd or 3rd top scorer

It all points to us perhaps making a cheeky bid. If he'd come, we should break the bank for him.

5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I doubt the team will go for both. It will be one or the other. Another thing to consider is that if Xavi gets injured Barca have no backup.

6. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    you are still carrying on about that? seriously?

7. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007

Fabregas seems to get along well with our boys.

as DS alluded, we have tried for their players in the past (including going for Vieira on two separate occasions, and as per Vieira, he was tempted)

Rivalry between the clubs is at the lowest it has been for many a year.

I think we would definitely put in a bid for him (if there is money to be spent); even if it is just speculative.

8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I actually get the picture that Cesc hates our club. Granted he was [and still is young] but he's never really looked like respecting our club. It makes sense in all those other facts mentioned apart from what he would want.

9. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Cesc is one of very few players in world football who meet our age preference and is in that £40m - £50m+ bracket that none of our fans would have any qualms about paying for, imo.

He's also not got a questionable injury record to this point in time.

Like I said before, normally, it'd be out of the question to even think about it, but there's nothing 'wrong' in that potential deal that I can see, cept the Arsenal fans crying their eyes out.

I also think Barca would low ball for the player - they won't pay his market value, they wouldn't have to, where RM would spend more, and we'd have to spend more still by way of being in the same league etc.

10. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Barca are going to low ball us, but we will pit Real against them and drive them towards our 45m valuation. For a catalan, he hasn't showed much aversion to joining Real. Inter were supposed to be interested as well, but there is really no point in anyone but Barca/Real making an inquiry.

11. TuPeT

TuPeT New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sto muppeting. It's like saying that you'll get a car for christmas and in reality you get a hotweels.

But I would surely wet myself if we could get Cesc.

12. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I'd think Barca would leave it to Cesc to choose in that scenario and I very much doubt they'd have any interest in a bidding war for a player who is essentially an election pawn - relative to a perfect midfield trio.

Cesc is Catalan... and for him to not choose Barca over RM...well... they'd just let him go there in that case, imo.

And I think you're dead wrong on there being no point anyone else making an enquiry. You're all about the money now. You wouldn't flat out turn us down cos we'd offer more than both, we'd have to.

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think any initial bid that comes in over 28M quid would get a serious response from Arsenal. It would probably take a considerable amount more than that, especially if Barca also launch a bid - but I'd wager if no one else came in for him, 35M might do the trick.

14. michael24710

michael24710 Member

Jul 10, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmmm, in that situation, with a lot of clubs in the hunt for him (unlike say Ronaldo who was only ever going to one place), you would have to assume City are going to pull out all the stops to sign him.

Very little chance of him wanting to go there, but they will probably throw all the money in the world at the situation which would change the dynamic of the situation.

15. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey, you guys managed to go on about it for years, now there are some people who don't want to seem to admit they were wrong. :)

16. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Actually, if they make it into the CL it's not that far fetched for him to go there.
    NOBODY CARES

;)

17. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Nobody (barring benni) wants to admit they were wrong, more like. :D

18. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    I still think Dunne sucks.

19. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    After another season without a trophy, Wenger and the board know that selling Cesc for anything less than 40-45m is going to unleash hell. Selling Cesc is also going to be a complex issue as it will likely cause 1 or 2 other departures - so it will only occur in a way that is the most beneficial to us (to a club outside the premiership and for a huge fee).

While the only thing that matters to the club is the money, we need to be able to field a squad capable of fending off an even stronger Money city for 4th place or selling is pointless as we will lose more money falling out of the CL.

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    @michael

No it won't. Fabregas has seen Citeh up close for most of his career and would never go there. They could bid a billion dollars they wouldn't get him because he wont go. The best we can do is be above board and open if we do admire him put in a proper bid. He's dealt w/ Barca a team w/ loads of tradition and a set way of dealing with issues and a team emic. Arsenal have a certain way about them and while they are not barbaric by any means, they are a step down from Barca and City would be a step down from Arsenal. I'd think he'd appreciate the history and tradition at United. There is a "United way" and recently it has been a great deal more successful than at Arsenal.

21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah but how long can you string him along and risk him throwing his toys out the pram? Ronaldo reacted well to staying an extra year or two because he was winning trophies. Can you say the same for Cesc?

22. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    sure hope you arent lumping me into that group.

besides you are starting to resemble the los galacticos defenderos that infest this board

23. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    Vucinic scores.

24. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Commentator is absolutely gushing over Ranieri. Roma moves into second. Milan can suck it.

25. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Nothing werong with rubbing a bit of salt in, is there?

I would love if Bronaldo could point out why he sucks, though. Given that he is starting for the (thus far) best defense in the league. :)