30th MLS franchise going to Charlotte

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by FidelCashflow, Dec 5, 2019.

1. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official announcement coming December 17.

We made it

WVKeeper and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exciting!!!

I know have two teams to pull for... It’ll be hard for me to give up my allegiance to Atlanta United but I’m closer to and have more connection to Charlotte and the Carolinas.

We’ll see... I foresee it being Atlanta United my #1 and Charlotte my #2, a la my UGA and Clemson.

3. NCSoccerCoach

NCSoccerCoach New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i am really happy to see this development for Charlotte. David Tepper coming to Charlotte and getting involved has been fantastic. This wouldn't have happened without a change in ownership of the Panthers and the stadium. I will be a season ticket holder for sure.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What will become of the Independence? Just continue in USL?

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m praying that Tepper negotiates an agreement where the Independence becomes the MLS team and the current USL team operates as his reserve team.

6. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw he’s looking at a bunch of possibilities for a name, none of which was Independence.

7. NCSoccerCoach

NCSoccerCoach New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I received a survey today from the team asking for feedback on the team name. I am assuming i received it due to making a deposit for tickets. I like their approach, but it appears they have an interest the All Carolina FC name as there were a lot of questions related to that name specifically.

8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All? What the hell is that?

Bite o' the Cherry repped this.
  9. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte

Has everyone seen this tweet? It's one of those leaks that may or may not end up having some weight but Thomas is a local reporter who was confirming that Charlotte had been approved before the announcement was confirmed by the league. Also, I would be so hype if they went with the name because I was wanting this name since the Smith bid.

upload_2019-12-23_13-48-40.png

10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’ve got to feel pretty special, which, no offense, I’m not the biggest fan of. It just seems like a silly name, kind of what I think about Orlando City. But I understand the Euro Urge is ultimately the way MLS teams are going to go. Regardless, it’s better than just Charlotte FC.

Guarantee the nickname will be The Townies.

11. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    My whole thing, and it seems to be mutual among the club and SG, is that the city was initially incorporated as Charlotte Town and it sounded more professional than "Independence" (which often gets confused for the local high school). It was the perfect balance between Euro and being true to Charlotte. This was definitely a pleasant surprise for me to see.

12. BookerT

BookerT Member

Mar 27, 2007
    NC
    Ye Olde Charlotte Town would be much better!

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlotte Crown FC is still much better, IMO.

14. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    I do like Charlotte Athletic as my second favorite from the list, I'm kind of happy they are most likely going to be "Charlotte" and not "Carolina".

WVKeeper and Bite o' the Cherry repped this.
  15. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the flurry of articles I read surrounding the announcement, the only mentions of stadia was re the lower bowl of BoA. Is there NO serious discussion about a new SSS?

16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I argue the opposite... but understand the desire to say the town of Charlotte vs the city of Atlanta... But I tell you, as a Greenville, South Carolinian, and an established Atlanta United fan, I’m perfectly sandwiched between the two teams, and that doesn’t offer me a compelling reason to make Charlotte my #1 team over my #2 team.

17. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    The plan is to build a brand new stadium by the end of this new decade and depending on negotiations we could be out of BoA within 5 years. The investment in MLS is said to be part of an overall redevelopment for both uptown (Gateway Station & district) and Eastland (MLS HQ and another gateway district), this project is connecting all public transportation to one central hub for busses, light rail, high speed rail (ATL to DC), Amtrak, Greyhound, and ridesharing services. It will also have all of the stay and play options that are becoming a thing with these projects. The question is how much more the city will invest, compared to the cost of the stadium itself. The new digs would most likely be at the Charlotte Pipe and Foundry site ( https://binged.it/37ayhU7 ) which is basically across the way from the current site. Using BoA will be okay for a couple of season, especially if he builds a strong side to keep fans content until the new place opens, but it will be hot in mid-summer on gameday. I'd like to see some sort of innovate shading and cooling system put in place at current BoA, some kind of shading and misting to keep fans from dying in the sun.

https://www.wbtv.com/2019/12/19/is-...ium-could-look-like-is-it-worth-it-taxpayers/

https://www.wccbcharlotte.com/2019/...nt-in-near-future-following-mls-announcement/

18. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    That is very fair, I think soccer lends itself to be more of a community thing rather than a regional thing though and the city put money down to help get this approved. I also don't like that Raleigh/Cary uses "NCFC" as their brand instead of something specific to the community they play in. But I understand where you are coming from at the same time, being someone from outside the city it would be more attractive if the went with Carolina instead.

Unrelated but I'd like to see Charlotte Independence rebrand as Mecklenburg County Independence, they worked with the county on getting their new stadium and could appeal to those who don't connect with Charlotte MLS and are within range of one of their academy sites (Lake Norman, Rock Hill, etc). It would be an upgrade on their theme/branding too (imo).

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see them rebrand to the Mecklenburg Independence FC. Doubtful, but catchy.

Nonetheless, when it comes to the lower leagues, I’m all for the Triumph.

20. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    --------------
    I would like to see=
    MLS Charlotte (whatever name)
    /\
    USL-C Charlotte Independence
    /\
    USL-1 Greenville Triumph
    /\
    USL-2 Charlotte Eagles
    ------------------------------
    Basically, I like a baseball version of the pyramid and this would be very localized.
    You would have a level for any player you find and sign etc.
    You can could have each team keep the history of their current names.
    Yeh, requires a lot of cooperation, coaching styles, player management etc.
    Not sure we ever get to a set up like this, but fun to dream. :D

WVKeeper and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  21. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    #21 CharlottetownFC, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    The team has deposits for over 20,000 season tickets. And will look to hire a coach within the next 4 months, targeting someone who is currently managing.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/officials-gear-up-mls-team/D5IUSQQPZFDUVG53YQDV5KLUTE/

I prefer the club have its own functioning academy, because it seems to be the way that the more successful MLS teams are going, but I also like the idea of having a USLC affiliate with the reserves playing in L1 and a potential U21 in L2. I'd prefer our setup to be; Charlotte Town AFC (MLS) Greensboro/Charlotte Independence (USLC) CLT TWN 2 (USL1) Eagles x Stumptown x Possible CLT TWN U21 and/or Indy SC (USL2).

I think the Independence would do better in Greensboro btw.

22. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they want to invest in an academy, they should be able to get that running fast- very well built (and funded) youth soccer infrastructure here just like in a lot of other parts of the country. And it would have better financial brains than the MAC (sorry, local joke).

Excited for the team but it is going to be HOT in those summer games. The US side should start training here in summer in prep for LatAm away matches.

23. WVKeeper

WVKeeper Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Charlotte Suburbs, SC
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excited about this coming to pass.

Charlotte Crown FC is nice.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bite o' the Cherry repped this.
  25. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see Charlotte was not delayed as much as the others.

The big brand reveal is July 22!