3 Man Booth Needs to Go

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by HouseHead78, Mar 27, 2013.

1. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why, oh why does ESPN keep experimenting with the 3 man team in the announcing booth?

Moreno spending the whole match talking about how the US has no chance and acting like every good play we make is lucky. Twellman arguing with anyone who says anything. Ian trying to play babysitter.

Result: Fingernails on chalkboard

2. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep Ian. The others, do whatever.

Tom Collingsworth, holden and Marko72 repped this.
  4. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    I thought it was funny. Moreno saying it was a push twellman responds with a joke "a forward falling down is a foul, surprise". Darke trying to hold back his chuckle......

5. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    I like Twellman and Darke together. Twellman could stand to be a bit more of a gentleman and bit less of a douche, but he's miles better than his all his predecessors (Harkes, Wynalda, Balboa, Keogh).

I like Moreno as halftime/studio analyst, but he was grating in the booth last night. Such a nattering nabob of negativity.

6. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He kept saying, "the US can't do this and get a result...the US can't do that cause they're gonna get punished...the US has to keep the ball for 100% of the time to ever have a hope of a prayer of a point"

He said these things declaratively as if they were foregone conclusions, which I found irritating.

All these confident declarations about what will happen if the US does this, that, or doesn't do this or that...

And he was wrong. On all of them. Every single time.

Tom Collingsworth and dwsmith1972 repped this.
  7. R1PP

R1PP Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Swarthmore, PA
    I sorta got the inside joke, especially as a Union fan, but then remembered Twellman was a forward too. Would have been funnier from a defender.

It was quickly apparent that Moreno was going to be annoying all night...and he was!

8. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    I understand that ESPN Deportes was not saddled with a token, whiny, homer American like we were with an over the top El Tri apologist.

What is it with ESPN trying to convert the English language version to the Mexies? I know you lost out to BeIn for US away games, but come on. Just cause you now show Mexie games instead isn't going to convert USSoccer fans to El Tri.

Nope. Ain't a gonna work and all it will do is whizz off American soccer fans.

9. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I didn't think he was that bad. I liked the little bit of negativity he brought; I certainly didn't hear what you say here. I heard him say mostly common stuff like "They can't keep doing that" after letting Mexico have a great look at goal or "They need to hold possession better" after being under siege and not being able to hold the ball to relive pressure.

To me he sounded like an outsider making observations. It actually mostly reminded me of stuff I've heard and read from viewers from outside CONCACAF during US-Mexico games before.

10. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I got so annoyed with the two color guys that after 10 minutes in I switched to UniMas. Not saying the announcers are better there, but I couldn't understand them so it wasn't as annoying.

11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Ale really had an off night. He's usually well spoken and isn't particularly aggressive or overly negative. Last night he was brash, pretty rude, and along with Twellman, was acting like a smug douche for much of the match.

I generally think he's one of the best announcers in MLS but he was poor last night.

12. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Moreno was annoying.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  13. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I like Moreno usually. I've had him for a handful of Eredivisie broadcasts, and while he's no Shaka, I've found him interesting and quality enough. But yeah, you can tell whoever was in charge told him to possibly present another angle. Especially because Twellman is obviously pro-USA and Darke is always surprising super-USA. So that balance was kind of nice. Trying to balance the difference in soccer viewpoints (as in, not every league views going down easily as cheating but as smart play instead), not a bad idea. Three voices is a lot, though. And while you can get some good humor going in a game, something tense like the Mex/USA match isn't the best for commentator chemistry.

All in all, it was okay. I don't mind the Spanish influence or the greater trend towards bridging the two languages/cultures. But that's for another thread...

soccersubjectively repped this.
  14. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was a one off for the US-Mexico game, something to appeal to the El Tri viewers who rather watch in English. I don't think it will be present at any of the other qualifiers aside from perhaps the Columbus rematch or at least I hope not because a 3 man booth is just too much and Moreno was definitely pro Mexico which was annoying. If I wanted a Mexico perspective I would've watched Univision or ESPN Deportes.

15. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    I understand ESPN is trying to cover both Mexican and American markets with the third man and with our population and their audience (especially in such a game) it makes sense why they have the third person. However, it comes off as poor professionalism and really agitating as an American Soccer fan - not sure what it's like for American fans of Mexico.

Personally, and selfishly, I'd prefer an American biased commentary and save the Mexican color commentary for the half time report.

16. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    I was at a bar, so didn't hear the audio 100% clearly, but did hear some of what the article said. Like the Zusi run. And Gonzalez's mention of Beasley having to defend all the way to the edges.

The article to the minimum gives excitement, which is well warranted. The coverage for US - MEX games should be top level.

Also for UNImas. The coverage and color commentary is reserved and as neutral as possible that yet would not loose UniMas sponsors, since prob. the vast majority supports Mex. They gave the French - Spain game similar treatment. I must admit it is annoying to see TV crews at each other necks. I would give these guys a few more tries. It takes a few tries to 'iron' things out.