3/4 Playoff Analysis: URU-GER - Archundia (MEX)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Professor B

Professor B Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Grundy, VA
    I've noticed this increased carding for handling as well. Is this new? It appears to me that a lot more of these are being carded than I've seen before.

Is it a response to Henry's "Hand of Gaul"?

2. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Good enough game by Archie's crew, other than the missed send off in the 4th minute. Fun game to watch too.

3. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    The "backpass" by Uruguay. Looked to me as if it should have been called.

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    The Germans did the same thing later, 78th minute, I think.

Nothing was called there either. Seemed consistent.

5. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    It was one of those where as if he let it go, we'd say he was too lenient and if he called it, we'd have said he was too hard.

6. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ok gotta point this out really quickly....Screw Ian Darke. He spent a stupid amount of time ridiculing the fans who were booing Suarez and saying they don't understand the game and are ignorant and this and that. I have an analogy to make.

Lets say someone murders someone else, they're caught and one of the victims family members is chosen to to shoot him for justice. The family member misses and the murderer gets to go free. Does that sound FAIR to anyone else? Would we be saying "Well you should've shot him, it's too bad you let that murderer go free." NO the logic people are using is retarded. He did something wrong, arbitrary laws were used to punish him...arbitrary laws do NOT solve everything. Some people get punished and when they get out of jail are still on PROBATION. Guess what Suarez is on probation he gets Boo'd if you don't agree with that GO TAKE AN ETHICS CLASS YOU FRIGGIN IDIOT.

But don't sit there and pontificate on your throne, telling all your subjects "Oh you backwards ignorant people...you just don't understand." F Off you pompous jackass.

Sorry about that /rant off.

7. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fans are entitled to boo. I feel no sympathy for Suarez he got away with blatant cheating. His denial of a goal got the intended result. The penalty taker missed. That miss rewarded Suarez, since the handling wasn't converted.

8. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Archundia and crew did a fine job. That send off was borderline. In super slow motion it looks quite obviously like a challenge to endanger the opponent. In real time the speed of the challenge was far slower. I'm ok with either a yellow or red,m but leaning more towards yellow.

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Mirror, mirror on the wall, whos the biggest pom .....? well, you get it.

This hand ball incident clearly has your knickers in a twist. You have gone on about it before on this forum, and I think you have a blind spot to other injustices that are equally bad or worse.

In what universe can you equate murder with a hand ball in the same discussion?

How come your outrage for his offense doesn't take into account that he was sentenced and already served his time for it. There are violations of the LOG that carry probationary periods (fighting). Hand ball isn't one, and those probationary periods are dealt with in the laws. Justice was properly administered and it is over. If you don't 'like it, get the laws changed. otherwise, shut up.

In that sense, Dark was right and you are wrong. The booing was vigilanty justice administered by a partisan German crowd with no sense of the justice of the game.

And the vigilanty booers perhaps should have directed their ire to the straight legged, studs up attempt at real injury in the fourth minute that went largely unpunished if they had a real sense of justice. Or perhaps they should have been booing the German team for gaining an undeserved goal against England, the same as Henry was vilified for his illegal goal against Ireland that stood in violation of the Laws and went unpunished. I don't see fans booing Rooney for his ball readjustment capers, which are actually much worse and less sporting.

Or perhaps they should have remembered that the Germans beat the USA on an identically shabby hand ball in 2002 that sent them on and the USA out of the competition undeservedly. That one went unpunished. There is the real outrage sHould be directed.

(1:52 of this video)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLtT0imwdCQ"]YouTube- 2002 World Cup Quarter Finals: Germany vs United States[/ame]

I don't remember any German booing Torsten Frings after that incident, nor any jeering against the German player in his next game.

What really has you intestinal system bound up is that what Sourarez did was, within the LOG, a smart move, just as it was for Frings in 2002. ( for Frings it was smarter- he got away with it) If you were a real ref, you would accept that for that contest and then see what you could do about changing the laws, not vilifying one player for already having served his time.

Can you point to posts where you lobbied to have the laws changed in 2002?

10. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    1. I was making an Analogy, you've heard of those right?

2. I was pointing out that the Laws don't go far enough. These are arbitrary Laws that can be changed, are changed and should be changed when they don't do enough. That's why Serious Foul Play was changed to "From any direction" rather than just being a foul from behind. The Law can be changed to right injustices...I'm saying this is an injustice that hasn't been righted, people are mad about that they have a right to be it's called F'N Democracy!

3. I don't think it was a German crowd...why would the Germans cared that he cheated. I believe it was the overwhelmingly South African Crowd that was mad (rightly) that his actions caused Ghana to lose and be eliminated from the tournament.

4. Yes Suarez used the Laws of the Game to get what he wanted...ie a chance to win the game by taking away an almost certain goal. I get mad at people who use a broken judicial system to their advantage just like I get mad at the people who made it broken and won't change it in the first place.

5. "Can you point to posts where you lobbied to have the laws changed in 2002?"

I joined in 2009...I hardly remember that game and I would've brought it up if I even remembered it but I didn't.

In conclusion...I'm saying that the Law is wrong, and it did not sufficiently punish the offender. That is why the South African crowd is upset and they have a right to be, Ian Darke gets mad an lectures them for their opinion implying that they're ignorant and don't understand...I got mad at that. You have any points to make that aren't directly attacking me?

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    The reports were that it was an overwhelmingly German crowd.

You are the one who started the personal assassination. Don't turn the argument around. I didn't use the word idiot. You did.

12. Iforgotwhat8wasfor

Jun 28, 2007
    Oh I'm being booed I'm being booed! Where's my handbag? I need a hanky. You're hurting my sensitive football playing feelings!

I'm not sure this WC is doing much to lure more fans...

13. Iforgotwhat8wasfor

Jun 28, 2007
    Well, I guess #1 is answered...

14. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    Great point.

Was that the one right around 35-40 yards out, Schweinsteiger knows a counterattack by Urugualy might be brewing, and he fouls to stop it before it even gets started? I saw one like that while watching the match and thought exactly the same thing, but don't recall exactly what time it was.