2nd Hostage beheaded

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by JohnnyCash, Sep 21, 2004.

1. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    Where is the thread about this? They beheaded Jack Armstrong yesterday and today apparently have beheaded the second american, Jack Hensley.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/09/21/iraq.beheading/index.html

I'm just curious why there isn't a thread about this. Have we become jaded to this already? When that kid from PA was decapitated earlier this summer people were in an uproar. but silence this time

2. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You just started the thread. Welcome to ********ed up situation, population all of us. Any list of American civilian casualties should as a result be merged with this list.

Prayers go out to all families and loved ones of all those lost to this thing that never had to happen, but did, and is happening.

3. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's verybdog clamoring for an educational video?

4. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The beheadings are extremely unnerving, from our great distance. The victims seem absolutely terrified of a brutal and painful death. Beheading is a "personal" way of killing someone. It must be devasting to the friends and families of the vicitims. My thoughts go out to the hostages and their loved ones.

5. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    I think this is just another case of how desensitized we've become to how f'ed up the situation is over there. We edit and clean up the clips we use on the news, so we see a plume of smoke and are told that we bombed some hideout, but we are spared from seeing mangled bodies and legless children dragged from buildings

i'm not sure if it would be better to show grizzly footage on the news but i'm sure it would change the minds of a lot of people

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Very true. I remember the glee of some reporters describing the "shock and awe" bombings as if it were a fireworks display. Even when necessary, there is nothing redeeming in that sort of massive violence.

These beheadings are sick, and are particularly troubling as they are attacking civilians who have done nothing. Still, we live in a society that straps people onto tables and injects them with lethal doses of poison (before anyone starts, I know that most of them are far from innocent).

The pain involved in the beheadings is unthinkable, but the feeling of fright is probably not too different if you know you have 10-15 seconds left to live. That goes for the poor souls who had to jump from the WTC as well.

7. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I don't think we have the stomach for it. Any time casualties mount in Iraq, public opinion for the war itself loses ground. These grisley killings are a test by Islamic militants, a scare tactic. "Look at what a bunch of crazy motherf*#$rs you are fighting against. Don't #$%@ with us." That's what they are trying to tell the American public as they execute our civilians and video tape it for the world to see. Why else would they do it? Why not just try to kill as many Americans as possible, in a less public and brutal manner. A bullet works just as well as a knife. And they aren't going to be able to extort the US government to meet their demands. They should know that by now. Those men were dead as soon as they were kidnapped, they had no chance. This is all about keeping us scared.

Personally, I think the men who do this are cowardly. Show your faces, tell the world who you are and make yourself known, if you are so strong as to stand against the US and the Western World, who abhor your brutal killings.

8. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Speak for yourself.

One of the reasons I don't bring it up is because it's so upsetting. You should have been around here when Nick Berg was beheaded. Nothing good came of that thread. Nothing at all. So I don't bring it up.

9. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    I agree. When I read about these things happening, I cannot come up with any clear kind of thought for myself, much less any thoughts that would be of use to anyone else.

10. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

11. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew that watching one of these videos would greatly upset me, but I watched the most recent one anyways just so that I could get some perspective. I was barely able to hold my lunch down. The manner in which these people are beheaded, with no more than a essentially a small kitchen knife that takes several minutes to accomplish, is just unspeakably horrible.

I honestly don't know what f'ed up logic can bring someone to justify doing something like this, it's just uncomprehendable. And it's not just an Islamic problem. Atrocities like this have been committed in the name of God/Jesus/Allah/Yahweh/whatever for thousands of years. Is it the fault of organized religion, or is it something more sinister that lies in humans that would be brought out anyway, God notwithstanding?

12. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I did the same thing with an earlier video as sick as it sounds for the same reason.
    Lets just say I regret watching it, and everytime I hear of another case or it gets brought up, I cant stop thinking about the video...

cowardly fvckers.

13. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe the latter. Religion is simply one of the means that people use to rationalize that kind of behavior.

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's really nothing to say. This is just...I don't know. Nihilistic? A negation of what life is all about?

I just don't get it.

15. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Yeah. I saw the Danny Pearl video, then I saw the Nick Berg video (which made the Pearl movie look like "Sesame Street", as horrific as that is). I don't feel any real need to watch the new ones.

16. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Well said.

17. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mostly read here, and seldom post, but if I had to guess who would be the first to attempt dilution or marginalization of these intentionally savage murders by introducing a mitigating "yeah, but what about...", you would definitely be at the top of the list.

18. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    By the way, when i was talking about how we're desensitized, i in no way meant that we should air these types of videos on the news. They'd only disgust and incite people. I've never seen any of the other videos, the 3 second clips turn my stomach.

i was just talking about the war itself

19. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    i dont really mean to second-guess these guys, but, ok... if youre an american captured, you pretty much know theyre gonna stick you in front of a camera and then behead you because, well, our country doesnt talk to or negotiate with those types of people... yet, you look at the photos and the video and whatnot, and theyve got guns pointed at them. why wouldnt you fight like hell and try and take one of them out, or escape or something.

maybe its just me but being shot seems better than beheading.

20. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're blindfolded and handcuffed, there's really not a whole lot they can do. If you struggled you'd just get a rifle butt to the back of the head.

What I don't get is why these bastards think sh** like kidnapping American's and making demands will actually work. When have we ever negotiated with terrorists? When have we ever capitulated to such a stupid demand like this ever before?

21. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I think they remain tied up for the most part. I remember reading that one victim appeared possibly very drugged up during a video..

Who knows. I guess there is always the hope that you will be found by troops are something will save you rlife. It is hard to put yourself in their shoes when you dont have 3 machine guns pointed at you..

I am not knocking your quesition, I thought the same thing myself at first..

22. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I think it is more to discourage Americans and foreigners from going to over to help with the reconstruction, etc... In other words, dont help out, or else..

Personally I would think twice, knowing that kidnappings and this kind of stuff is going on, and I sure as hell wouldn't let a family member go..

I know it is "playing into their hands" but it cant help but make you think twice..

23. Metroweenie

Metroweenie New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    That's not the point. The point (it seems) is to make the war in Iraq unpleasant enough that US public opinion turns against it and we leave.

24. Benito

Benito Red Card

Aug 25, 2004
    We are waiting to tommorrow after they behead the Englishmen. What is the point?

25. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This post got the negative rep it deserves.