2nd dp?

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by gblfxt, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooo. Young Swedes is a good idea. No reason why they all need to go the Allsvenskan or Superettan for their formative years. Granted, they make more money in the Swedish leagues probably. Damn salary cap!!

2. gblfxt

gblfxt Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need another starting forward (Levesque and Letoux are great for taking over, but suck for starting) and a backup playmaker (Ljunberg is great, but he is older and would be good to have our bases covered in case he's having a bad day...).

3. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inevitable MLS can/will take the role of Serie A as the place to retire. Seems poor, but their teams still compete well.

4. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should get Fat Ronaldo!

[​IMG]

5. foreleft

foreleft New Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Mikael Silvestre? I've seen him quoted as saying he'd play in the US. I don't think most other teams would be in a place to sign him since others need to use their DP's off the field to sell tickets and defenders aren't what people want to see. Silvestre and Hurtado in the middle of defense and Keller behind them would be tough for any MLS team to score against.

6. BROSUF

BROSUF Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  8. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he heading back to the Prem?

9. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fat Ronaldo! :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLzuIL9kkzA"]YouTube - Ronaldo misses penalty shot[/ame]

10. BROSUF

BROSUF Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see hi as a good fit here but still love the guy.. by far one of the greatest strikers ever

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVyLmas6tUw&feature=related"]YouTube - Ronaldo Scores Hat Trick To Corinthians 4 x 2 Fluminense Wonderful Goals Ronaldo Unstopable[/ame]

11. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are aware that the comment Sky Sports is quoting was in response to him going on loan during the offseason, right? Not about him leaving the Sounders permanently. How many times does he have to say he'll honor his contract before you believe him.

I know you are new to this soccer press thing, but never believe the UK press. They are barely above supermarket tabloids.

12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

He'd kill it in MLS. I love the "Chubby Genius." He wouldn't do shit without the ball but he damn sure can finish better then anyone else in the league. Plus he would be lots of fun to party with.:D No trannies for me though thanks Ron.

13. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Montero came to MLS to go to England. He had 3-4 Spanish 1st divisions teams interested in him but at 5 million they said no. Now the MLS is not better than the Colombian league in the eyes of Italy, France or Spain but probably is in England or the UK. The places he would do better at and were the Colombian league usually sends guys.

Scandinavian leagues suck and I don't understand why the MLS lets their players go there.

The thing with Montero is after spending $5 million for him I doubt the MLS will let him go cheap but a player that plays in the MLS isnt worth $5 million other than Landon but thats because he is a beast for the US Nt. Montero doesnt play for the Colombian NT, and the Colombian NT didnt qualify for the WC so you cant compare a overpriced over rated youth promise Altidore. Sorry but no way was he worth 10 million, when he had like 4 goals in 2 years at NY, then Angel was worth 20 million

15. Main Man

Main Man Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can't go to the UK without a work permit. Not gonna happen unless he gets some natl team caps.

16. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's get this guy out of Brazil.

[​IMG]

17. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    adriano is wanted by all the big teams in Europe..... he isnt going to Come to the MLS. Also brazil pays better than the MLS. He also is a drunk, and has awful professionalism. He is not a huge name that a huge Soccer fan will know who he is.

Adriano is just way way to big of a gamble and I am sure Inter,Ac MIlan, Ath Madrid and Chelsea who are targeting him will give him way more money than the MLS can. Also the whole image rights for him isnt that big of a deal as I dont think he really sponsors anything like Henry does for example

18. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latin Americans would love that guy. He's a headcase for sure but it would give us the opening to sign him. Maybe just for a season and then sell him back to Europe or get him on a 1 year loan deal.

19. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    you think your going to be able to get a guy wanted by top teams in europe in form of a loan :)

20. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a nutter which should scare off most teams and he's a drunk.:D He could rehabilitate his image in Seattle, score a shit ton of goals and get his move back to Europe.

21. Main Man

Main Man Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or he could continue to be a homesick drunk without desire or effort.

22. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a little bit of risk involved.

[​IMG]

23. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    You know who I'd want as a DP striker? Someone a lot of you may not have heard of but going into the games against Houston, I wish we had:

Meet Baré, Age: 27, Two Footed Brazilian Striker, Great in the air on headers, formerly at Gamba Osaka (who decimated Houston in the first video below), currently at Ah-Ahli in Dubai.

Laying waste to the Houston Dynamo:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhKpYZfz8Rc"]YouTube - Houston Dynamo vs Gamba Osaka (Pan Pacific Championship)[/ame]

Baré at Gamba Osaka:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iHEoQ_YqWQ"]YouTube - Melbourne Victory 3 V Gamba Osaka 4 Goals 9-Apr-08[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_EypC0IGvk"]YouTube - Bare: Gamba Osaka vs Omiya Ardija[/ame]

Highlight video of Baré at Al-Ahli:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nj9Ej_ORtI"]YouTube - Bare De Cannon 9 ?????? ???????? ????[/ame]

Point is this: I'd rather we actually go and get a relatively young DP rather than someone washed up from Europe. There is good football outside of Europe after all and Seattle is not the kind of city that needs a a "name recognizable DP" to fill seats. Attractive and winning soccer fills them already.

Lets cast the net wider than just 30+ year olds from Europe or South America. There are younger guys who would come to MLS for the right money. Baré already went to play in Japan and the UAE, two leagues that are not exactly "the highest level", so he'd probably come to MLS.

Unlike some of the names bandied about here, he's shown he'd give his all in a "lesser league" than the top ones in Europe. He also currently plays infront of meager crowds of less than around 5,000 in an 18,000 seat stadium.

He'd love Qwest and would look good knocking in goals.

Bare = major upgrade over Jaqua.

24. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it. We need a dirty poacher, although I don't know if Baré would qualify as a DP. I'm thinking someone who can finish and has some name value. Maybe RVN? He's always said he would like to play in America.

25. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The fact that he'd score around 20+ goals and his salary is in the million dollar range would put him in the DP category. Guys like him don't come cheap.

So did Denilson and Lothar Matthaus. Ask FC Dallas Red Bull how that worked out.

It's all well and good these guys say they want to play in America but often they mean they want to retire to live in America.

Guys like Baré may not have a big name but they also aren't likely to take their foot off the gas when they come to MLS.

Goals > Name