2nd Annual RSL Fans Gravy Bowl

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by I_Believe_In_Kreis, Nov 1, 2006.

1. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The leaves are turning, there's frost in the mornings, RSL's playoff chances are but a distant memory. Yes, November's here.....and that can only mean one thing: We're just weeks away from the 2nd Annual RSL Fans Gravy Bowl!
    History: Last year a group of RSL fans organized a soccer game to rival the traditional Thanksgiving morning "turkey bowl" football game. Fuegote came up with the name. The inaugural game was well attended and way fun.
    Who's invited: Anyone & everyone, regardless of skill or fitness. Last year we had people from age 9 to age 50.
    Where: Cottonwood Heights Rec Center (the AYSO fields), 7530 S 2700 E
    Time: 9 a.m. (due to poultry-based conflicts later in the day)

We need to see how much interest there is, so if you want to play, make yourself known by posting on this thread!

2. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am interested as long as the "Who's invited: Anyone & everyone, regardless of skill or fitness" really does apply.

3. Fuerza Real

Fuerza Real New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Lion in Zion
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    *Count me in. I played soccer like a beast this summer, and then just stopped one day. I'd love to get one more good outdoor game in.

4. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we'll get enough turnout this year to have two games going at once. We almost had enough last year to do that.

Anyone who missed this last year should definitely come this year, even if it is just to watch. Loads of fun for the whole family.

5. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Sounds like a hoot.

My knee is jacked from summer indoor, but hey, I'd love to play. If I'm not working, I'll be there. You can count on it.

6. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I lived a little closer I'd be there....

7. Fuerza Real

Fuerza Real New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Lion in Zion
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    *Nessie is on my team.

8. nessie

nessie New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Asleep
    I put Dema Kovalenko to shame, this is true...

However, the chances of me getting out of bed and getting properly caffeinated on a day off aren't fabulous. If someone wants to have a Treadclimber-off at the gym around noon, I'm so there, though!

(anyway, I'm still broken and INNORUNNING)

9. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm out if Nessie ain't goin'.

10. I'll show up and play as long as I can be Jason Kreis and walk up and down the field. My teenage son and friends wanted to come too. I told them they can play only if they wear high heels. They changed their mind and will be going to American football instead.

11. b_rad82

b_rad82 New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Slick City
  12. ChrisK

ChrisK New Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Ogden,Ut
    My daughter and I will be there. She insisted after reading this.

"Mom it says I can play".

13. fuegote

fuegote Member

May 15, 2005
    If there's a ref, i'll be mathis and mark him the whole time.

actually, let me mark the half pitch line.

14. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be there if we don't go to Kamas. I won't be wearing my stripes.

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes it almost tempting to travel to the in-laws for Thanksgiving. Good people, good food, good game - but no rest whatsoever. Guess it's Pullman still!

16. utah_heretic

utah_heretic New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    This just in...

We (hopefully in the personage of Laura [aka luvmyboys] and others) will be collecting canned food and money to be donated to the Utah Food Bank before and during the 2nd annual gravybowl.

In true luvmyboys style, Laura has secured some signed RSL souveniers (read as swag) to be awarded to people who donate with great abandon. So bring your canned food or bring your wallet to the pitch, and aside from having a great day of football, enjoy the warmth which comes from helping others in need during the holiday season.

Did I mention the swag?

17. MikeGossard

MikeGossard Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in if this thing is still on! Never really played (grew up playing basketball.....blahh!!), but LOVE the game, and would love to attepmt a few good crosses. Anyone know haw many are planning to attend?

18. fuegote

fuegote Member

May 15, 2005
    I never played until last year and just love it...

...I just wish there wasn't as much running.

19. MikeGossard

MikeGossard Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Poqui Moqui and Junior Poqui are being dragged against their will to the frozen tundra of Idaho for Thanksgiving so we will, with tears in our eyes, excuse ourselves from this year's Gravy Bowl. We are taking our ball and will attempt to coax a few Idahoans out of their igloos for Rigby's First Annual Gravy Bowl. I'm bummed that I can't play with you guys. I even got a huge RSL team flag and posts to plant on the field. I guess I'll take it to Idaho.

21. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

Yo Poq, what happens in Idaho, stays in Idaho.

;)

22. RSL Donk

RSL Donk BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    thankfully....

23. ChrisK

ChrisK New Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Ogden,Ut
    I am very excited to go down and play on thursday. My nine year old daughter and maybe some of her friends/ teammates will be coming down also.

Will it go on no matter what the weather is like?

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have fun tomorrow guys.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

25. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few last things for you Gravy Bowlers:
    1. At T-minus 24 hours, what's concerning me is the number of people we're expecting. I think we'll have enough for at least two games. Last year, just one field was pretty hard to come by with all the football games going on. So do me a favor: If you get there early, please stake out a field (or two) for us. I'll be there as early as I can but I have babysitter issues.
    2. Bring a ball if you've got one.
    3. This is me being anal, but you might want to be prepared to go light or dark. Last year we had training vests - this year we don't (as far as I know).
    4. We will play regardless of weather.

And most importantly.....

5. Don't forget to bring money and/or food for the Utah Food Bank! Laura and Reed have worked hard on this, and they've rounded up some pretty nice swag for those who donate. So be generous......and if you're bringing friends who don't read the RSL boards, tell them to pitch in as well.

This thing is going to be the shiznit (knock on wood), so see you there!