28 Days Later

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by MikeLastort2, Oct 21, 2004.

1. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Good movie. It started on HBO tonight at 9:00. I haven't seen it until now, and it's much better than I anticipated. Anyone else seen this?

I like the way they filmed the "infected." Can't quite get a good look at 'em, but you know they've got problems. I also really liked the opening scene with the monkeys being set free by the PETA types.

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't that bad, but then again it wasn't that good. It was one of those movies that you can say you saw and that's it.

Thank god they went with the ending they did, the original ending sucked major balls.

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    It's not quite over yet. Jim just woke up from his nightmare where Frank, Hannah and Selena disappeared.

As far as horror movies go, this is one of the bet I've seen, at least so far.

4. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    What was the original ending, Dante? Just use the result tags.

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    So what was the original ending?

I thought this was a good flick.

I'm trying to figure out what the symbolism of the statue of Laocoön (without his sons, just the snakes) in the soldier's compound was. Were Hannah, Selena and Jim the Trojan Horse for the soldiers?

I also guess the infection was limited to just to England, just like the guy (Seargeant?) who said the Major said it was. All in all a pretty good flick.

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed. i've already forgotten most of it, including the ending. average at best.

7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    This one is supposed to be the best of the recent "zombie" movies. The other ones that came out recently were 'House of the Dead', 'Dawn of the Dead' remake, 'Resident Evil 2' and 'Shaun of the Dead'.

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I want to see Shaun of the Dead. I heard it's fantastically funny.

I have Resident Evil on DVD, and I have to say it's not as good as the video game. ;)

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shaun of the Dead was a great flick. Managed to get a dvd copy of it through bit torrent, it's definitely worth it.

As for the original ending [result]There were two, one that was filmed and one that wasn't. In the original ending they're at the house, but it's the girl, Jim and the younger girl. Here in the US the ending was the two girls and Jim was dead.

There's also the storyboard ending that they never filmed, on the dvd they show the story boards and narrate the whole thing as if they were filming it. That ending showed a blood transfusion between Jim and the girls dad. Jim died and the girls dad was reverted back to human and the story ended there.[/result]

10. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The semi-crazy military leader is the guy who has been cast as the new Doctor Who, btw.

11. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, now that part kind of irked me. Didn't Selena say that there were reports of infection in Paris and New York? Were those reports incorrect then? Seems like it was a little vague.

I liked it overall, good but not great movie. Different style from most horror movies, mixing slow and fast paces.

12. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he's a Red Devil to boot (Christopher Eccleston). :cool:

13. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    That movie is great, but I could watch the first 15 minutes for hours... the part where he's walking through a totally deserted London. That is simply amazing the way they pulled that off without making it look special-effects laiden. I've never been to London, but I feel like I learned more about London by watching the first 15 minutes of that movie than I could with anything short of actually being there.

14. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They just filmed it at like 6am on a sunday morning when the streets were deserted

15. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    I thought it a decent flick. Not a world beater by any stretch but enjoyable. I was under the impression it was going to be your run of the mill zombie flick, but it was more last man on earth style, as we discussed in another thread, which I always enjoy.

16. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York

I don't know why Adrian Mutu's character didn't just get a car at first, he walked around all day long.

17. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see, an awful disease created by an evil government laboratory gets out and infects 99% of mankind, turning the infected into yuckie, zombie-like crazed beasts, and the story revolves around a small band of attractive young people fighting for survival.

Nope, never seen that movie before. A genuine original.

18. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Whaddaya talking about? The "band of young attractive young people" was a skinny English guy, an average black chick, a 13 year old girl and her overweight father.

19. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Two questions. Where would he get a baseball bat in England? And they know who Babe Ruth was?

20. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Baseball hats are available in every medium-sized in the most of the world.

21. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Adrian Mutu was in that movie? If you think about it, there were cars all over the place, but usually when people leave their cars they take the keys with them, even in an emergency, from force of habit.

22. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hated 28 days later, one of the worst movies i ever saw

23. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the infected and the special effects were cool, so I liked the first part of the movie.

I started to really dislike it around the end when it went all "Lord of the Flies" on us. Even as a woman, I was really put off by the portrayal of the men at the end of the film: a dozen guys with guns and ammo and 2 women (one of them a kid) and the first thing they're going for is gang rape. . . I have a little more faith in my fellow fellows.

Anyway, I'm sure that's just part of the "horror," but it really stopped my liking the film. I wanted more zombies and blood and what-not.

24. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I'll agree with that review. They didn't need to go to the potential gang rape theme.

The first half of the movie was scary, but the last half was disturbing.

25. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I actually found the movie to be disappointing. The initial opening with the animal rights activists breaking into the research facility was very good. The scenes with the guy waking up and discovering he missed the destruction of society was also very good. I have a bone to quibble with how much empathy I had for the characters after the father becomes an infected. It also was not that scary from that point forward. I understand the director wanted to make a political statement about soldiers being brutal, but I agree with you and Sapphire. It was to over the top that the soldiers were depicted as worse than wild animals.