27K Sell-out in L.A. Last Night???

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by shasta, Jul 5, 2005.

1. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Ditto - I was actually going to bring up the radio audio on my laptop I was getting so annoyed by them, but never got around to it.

Yep - maybe they'll now really start to question themselves at home. They don't have Landycakes the next 4 games - two on the road, two at home. This could be a stretch where the Quakes could put some distance between us if they can just get some points out of every game, even if it's ties.

2. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it WAS poor execution by LA. It's just that we seem to be seeing the same poor execution week in and week out lately.

3. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I think istvan Urbanyi should do the play by play and ray the color :)

4. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    That was really sweet. A major defensive error by Chinchilla who shoulda stepped up to play the two Revs offside, but only to be expected since Sampson coaches him :D

5. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I watched the first 10 minutes on the webcast so it was and upgrade to hear Sullivan and whoever was with him instead of the galiclowns (Hopkins and Bretos)

6. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where does Sullivan get that accent from? I'm pretty sure he's a local guy, but I can't figure out where he talks as he does. The only problem with having Ray and Sullivan do the play-by-play and color is that half the population would be at a loss as to what the hell they were saying. Sullivan would be throwing his Italian calcio terms around and Ray would be flipping a plate of liver.

Chris should watch it hanging around with Bretos, Hopkins, Miles and the rest of that gang. They'll corrupt him and give him a few shekels under the table so he will join their homer crew.

I've told the story several times of what Bretos and Ricky Davis told Spartacus and I after one of the games. Here they come, and I said, "OMG, it's the LA homers." Bretos's answer: "Well we get paid for it." As far as I am concerned, that's the extent of it; they're just simple mercenaries. Just bullshot, they don't feel it.

7. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lines for food and merchandise also take forever, like an average of 15-20 minutes, and that is not the peak half-time wait. People are also able to walk around big concourse areas and still see the field.

The fans are also upset about some major disappointing FO surprises:

(Only including the stuff BEFORE this game)

1) the Real Madrid debacle
    -no Galaxy star players available. When the idea of this game emerged years ago, it was supposed to be one of the team's defining moments.
    -canceling WBA game, and resulting negatives.
    -not giving season ticket holders their seats for the game, priority to purchase more seats, or a way around the two-pack deal.
    -the two-pack deal itself, which forced people to try to sell their tickets to the lesser game.
    -Announcing a date on which the RM tickets would be available as one-offs, then delaying it indefinitely.

2) Return of the Road Game (which I still can't believe veteran fans weren't expecting).

3) Naldo still on the team (this is the biggest driver for newbies posting there).

4) Reported FO interest in 38-year-old Guatemalan striker.

8. Bill Schmidt

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry about the financial side of things. They sold $150 seats for this game, and the same ones will be even more for the RM game.

Even for regular games- people have to move early to get tickets in the two zones that cost less than $28, and probably about 70% of the seats are in the 45-75 range.

9. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    What is the "Return of the Road Game"?

10. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    The July 4th game does usually sell out (true sell out that is , 'cause o'the fireworks). LA and Colorado always get July 4th games, Quakes usedta, then one year fireworks were cancelled for some reason and that was it.
    Actually, it is another way to lower out attendance.
    Dodgers were on the road yesterday, so gAlaxatives and Angels were the fw in town.

11. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Yeah, I wasn't going to go there...but when they compare attendance figures over the full year, events like this and other doubleheaders seem to favor other teams over the Quakes, at least recently.....we don't seem to get any of those kinds of home games. Another part of the MLS conspiracy against San Jose ;)

12. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    You know - mit a local owner - if we get a July 4th date, a good opener on a weekend, Memorial or LABOUR Day, Father's day + Galaxatives twice + Chip=ass are seemingly drawing + a doubleheader - that's 9 dates that mit right promos and giveaways could draw 18K on average, add 7 dates at 9K - and you git a 14.1K average right off the bat.
    One kin dream, no?

13. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    was at game; it was definitely a sell-out, although I would've expected more ppl on Lalas Hill.

It was FREEZING in Carson that night. I mean San Francisco-July/Aug fog-filled evening on Fisherman's Wharf cold. That made ppl get out of their seats more than the typical game. By halftime at least concession stand had sold out of sweatshirts. Plus this Reserves game was seriously boring, which encouraged ppl to leave their seats.

W/in 20 minutes of kick-off, the place was filled up. I would say that 25,000-25,500 were there in attendance. Prolly 28,000 tickets sold (they can't announce more than 27K).

14. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I'm usually good for a conspiracy theory, but I do have decent 411 on this issue.

After the last 4th of July fireworks show, there was so much damage to the roof of the Simpkins Stadium Center from the fallout that the fire chief would not approve a permit because of the proximity of the buildings (now both Simpkins and the Koret Athletic Training center) in the area. So they can't shoot the fireworks from the north lot anymore. They tried shooting fireworks over the east stand once but they didn't get high enough to be seen over the trees...plus, that cuts off a boat load of parking.

There's just nowhere around Spartan Stadium with decent fallout space to shoot fireworks anymore.

15. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    I think most of the corporate seats are on the camera/press box side.

But think about it - would MLS feel bad about fudging numbers for HDC, or CCS, in order to help sell the soccer specific stadium model? And isn't that better for MLS?

Likewise, would it really surprise you if they reported SJ attendances differently from most of the league, since they seem to believe moving SJ is better* for the health of MLS?

(*than propping it up.)

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The SSS model is better for MLS. At the very least, we need to be in stadia that we control, or that are extraordinarily friendly to us. (We haven't found one of those yet.) So even if MLS is fudging the numbers at Hunt Park, or the HDC, I'm not sure that I care.

As Torpedo pointed out, there are several matches a year that with proper promotion should be big attendance night. Opening day should be pretty big, we ought to be able to do a promo around Labor Day, or Memorial Day or some such. Just because we aren't going to get July 4th, doesn't mean that we can't promote some other holiday weekend.

But this would require actual promotion and spending some cash on the team, and that doesn't seem to be on AEG's agenda. The filthy bastards!! :mad:

Come on SSV!!

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

17. Bill Schmidt

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that every once in a while- a road game pops up on the schedule. :) People often praise the team after a long stretch of home games, without taking into account the fact that there will be a few road games to go, so the point-winning will drop to zero.

18. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    aha, thanks.

19. russ bolshevik

russ bolshevik Red Card

Sep 30, 2004
    midnight in moscow
    lol :D