23 Players that should be called up to Euro 2008 [PART 2] (Not- "is Oddo Good?" Discussion Thread)

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Cassano, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: 23 Players that should be called up to Euro 2008 [PART 2] (Not- "is Oddo Good?" Discussion Threa

Partly for training but I think it could also be if some are players are not fit or are injured. I'm not sure but I think the alternates will only step in if someone is injured. Some injures are more serious than others but I wonder if any of the alternates can step in if Donadoni changes his mind or if any of the starting 23 will to have a legitimate injury?

As far as ADP's last shot of the game, who is to say if Totti didn't pass the ball up field and if ADP didn't make his run, how can we ever know if Germany instead had the last kick of the match? Realistically the chances were slim for Gemrany to score but I remember them almost scoring in the box towards the end. Didn't Germany score against Poland in the last minute? No one really can judge after the fact.

2. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Re: 23 Players that should be called up to Euro 2008 [PART 2] (Not- "is Oddo Good?" Discussion Threa

I'm not saying he should go but I can just never understand how many people consider the World Cup or the Euros to be more elite competitions than the Serie A...

3. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I agree with Falvo both Cannavaro who got out jumped and Nesta who screened Toldo were at fault on the tying goal. Nesta was partly to blame on the winning goal as he allowed the ball to get to Trezeguet. People do not remember it this way though. They choose to blame Del Piero because he was a convienent scapegoat for Italy's failure and has been one ever since even though he only started 8 out of 29 tournament games in his career.

4. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma

Today Donadoni will announce a pre-list of players for the Euro, and they say Cassano is on it! :D The list has 24 players and so at least one will be cut.

3 portieri
    Buffon, Amelia, De Sanctis

7 difensori
    Panucci, Cannavaro, Materazzi, Barzagli, Chiellini, Grosso, Zambrotta,

7 centrocampisti Pirlo, Gattuso, Ambrosini, De Rossi, Aquilani, Montolivo, Perrotta

7 attaccanti Quagliarella, Toni, Borriello, Di Natale, Del Piero, Cassano, Camoranesi

Looks like Donadoni will limit himself to one grandpa in attack and leave Inzaghi at home.

5. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

come on, now...really??? and del piero wasn't just a convenient scapegoat, he plain blew the match on two occasions after doing nothing the whole tournament, at least cannavaro had had a great tournament up until that point.

@ italian mike...that is only 6 attackers :p, so you have 23 players right there.

6. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma

I copied and pasted it from Corriere Dello Sport, I thought it fishy that Perrotta was missing. They've since corrected the list, as have I.

Looking at their updated list, it seems the final debate is between Montolivo and Aquilani.

7. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

oh, ok, yeah, i bet that is the final cut right there between those two. If that is the squad...then I all of a sudden feel a little better about italy's chances. :)

I just wish materazzi wasn't on there, so donadoni wouldn't even be tempted to play him.

8. Redondo85

Redondo85 Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Scotland

I like the look of that, there's also been a lot of rumours that Donadoni might call up Maggio because of his versatility but at the expense of who?

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

The gazzetta dello sport has Maggio, Cassano and Montolivo.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Nazionale/Primo_Piano/2008/05_Maggio/20/preconvocati.shtml

Portieri: Buffon, Amelia, De Sanctis (in vantaggio su Roma e Curci).

Difensori:
    Barzagli, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Grosso, Materazzi, Panucci e Zambrotta.

Centrocampisti: Ambrosini, Gattuso, Aquilani, Camoranesi, De Rossi, Perrotta e Pirlo;

Attaccanti: Toni, Borriello, Del Piero, Di Natale, Quagliarella.

What a difference two years make! I guess 15 returnees in 2 years isn't bad...I still think they should still have taken Inzaghi but I guess Donadoni wants to make his own statement.

Here is the lists for the 2006 World Cup:

Italy
    Head coach: Marcello Lippi

1 GK Gianluigi Buffon 28 January 1978 60 Juventus

2 DF Cristian Zaccardo 21 December 1981 12 Palermo

3 DF Fabio Grosso 28 November 1977 17 Palermo [49]

4 MF Daniele De Rossi 24 July 1983 17 Roma

5 DF Fabio Cannavaro (c) 13 September 1973 93 Juventus

6 DF Andrea Barzagli 8 May 1981 8 Palermo

7 FW Alessandro Del Piero 9 November 1974 74 Juventus

8 MF Gennaro Gattuso 9 January 1978 43 Milan

9 FW Luca Toni 26 May 1977 18 Fiorentina

10 FW Francesco Totti 27 September 1976 51 Roma

11 FW Alberto Gilardino 5 July 1982 15 Milan

12 GK Angelo Peruzzi 16 February 1970 31 Lazio

13 DF Alessandro Nesta 19 March 1976 74 Milan

14 GK Marco Amelia 2 April 1982 1 Livorno

15 FW Vincenzo Iaquinta 29 November 1979 12 Udinese

16 MF Mauro Camoranesi 4 October 1976 21 Juventus

17 MF Simone Barone 30 April 1978 13 Palermo

18 FW Filippo Inzaghi 9 August 1973 49 Milan

19 DF Gianluca Zambrotta 19 February 1977 52 Juventus

20 MF Simone Perrotta 17 September 1977 24 Roma

21 MF Andrea Pirlo 19 May 1979 24 Milan

22 DF Massimo Oddo 14 June 1976 20 Lazio

23 DF Marco Materazzi 19 August 1973 28 Internazionale

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

These cups are certainly more prestigious however, the clubs that play in the SERIE A , CL or even the UEFA competitions, are much better and higher quality and have much more prettier play and cohesiveness.

11. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

yeah, they have montolivo, gamberini, and one of maggio or rocchi being the 3 reserves to the 23 you have listed, it seems. I guess we will know for sure in about an hour and a half.

12. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

because playing against the elite on an elite stage will always be better than playing in a match against empoli...this is a no-brainer, world cups are the greatest stages of them all, can crack the most mentally tough world-class players...a game in front of 10,000 fans week 23 against some minnow doesn't come close. come on, nick, this is just silly, you keep saying that those competitions are like "all-star" games...how many all-star games have you seen where people cry like c ronaldo or others after losing? the big stages will always be where the greats are measured, and for good reason.

13. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I understand the point Nick is trying to make but in all-star games those teams are not together for a month but a week at the most. Most players have no familiarity with the other players. This is totally different because these guys are playing for their country and have more cohesion amongst players. Is the level up to Serie A? I would say it is better but not as good as the Champions League.

14. Luca03

Luca03 Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan

I like the fact that Cassano is rumored to be in the squad. Is there a realistic chance of that happening?????

15. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

that's fair, and I get what nick is saying, I just think he takes it way too far. Plus, all the players from the big countries have this same disadvantage, so if everyone is nearly equally disadvantaged, then it is a level playing field, and the really good ones will find a way to shine regardless. that is the way I look at it.

16. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma

There has to be, how in your right mind can you deny his form. Temper tantrums or not, he's a player you have to take a risk on.

17. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

did the press conference start yet?

18. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Official list:

Portieri: Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Marco Amelia (Livorno), Morgan De Sanctis (Siviglia).

Difensori:
    Cristian Panucci (Roma), Fabio Cannavaro (Real Madrid), Andrea Barzagli (Palermo), Marco Materazzi (Inter), Fabio Grosso (Olympique Lione), Gianluca Zambrotta (Barcellona), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus).

Centrocampisti:
    Rino Gattuso, Andrea Pirlo, Massimo Ambrosini (Milan), Daniele De Rossi, Simone Perrotta, Alberto Aquilani (Roma), Mauro German Camoranesi (Juventus), Riccardo Montolivo (Fiorentina).

Attaccanti:
    Luca Toni (Bayern Monaco), Marco Borriello (Genoa), Antonio Di Natale, Fabio Quagliarella (Udinese), Alessandro Del Piero (Juventus), Antonio Cassano (Sampdoria).

http://www.repubblica.it/2008/05/se...ni/convocati-euro2008/convocati-euro2008.html

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Nazionale/Primo_Piano/2008/05_Maggio/20/preconvocati.shtml

So I guess the only doubt is between Montolivo and Aquilani (can't see both of them going at the expense of Cassano).

I'd choose Montolivo and replace De Sanctis with Sereni, Materazzi with Gamberini, Perrotta with Maggio and Quagliarella with Inzaghi. Pretty good squad overall nonetheless.

Happy for Cassano, Italy needed his talent.

19. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I just saw that on Sky TG24

20. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Cassano made the team.

21. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

exactly my changes as well, but nonetheless, he got it right for the most part. that is a squad that if key players hit form and stay fit, then it has a chance

22. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Goalkeepers: Buffon, Amelia, De Sanctis

Defenders: Panucci, Cannavaro, Materazzi, Zambrotta, Barzagli, Chiellini, Grosso

Midfielders: Camoranesi, Pirlo, Gattuso, Ambrosini, De Rossi, Perrotta, Aquilani, Montolivo

Strikers: Toni, Di Natale, Quagliarella, Del Piero, Borriello, Cassano

Sorry I did not see that Matteo had posted the list.

23. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Bravo Donadoni! I am so glad he took the risk of taking Cassano.

I guess like everyone said he just has to decide between Montolivo and Aquilani, and with the form Montolivo is in, I wouldn't be surprised if Aquilani was left home.

24. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

You and me both. This shows he has some balls.

25. tdrazz

tdrazz Member

Feb 14, 2005

Thank you Don for selecting Cassano and your 2yr extention...