23-man roster to be announced this MONDAY!!!

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by wtf_SCOLARI!!, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    I am seriously having a tough time with who I think is gonna be on the team come Monday but I'll give it a shot:

1. GK Ricardo (Real Betis)
    2. GK Quim (Benfica)
    3. GK Rui Patricio (Sporting)
    4. RB Bosingwa (Porto)
    5. RB Miguel (Valencia)
    6. CB R.Carvalho (Chelsea)
    7. CB Pepe (Real Madrid)
    8. CB B.Alves (Porto)
    9. CB Meira (Stuttgart)
    10. LB J.Ribeiro (Benfica)
    11. LB P.Ferreira (Chelsea)
    12. DM M.Veloso (Sporting)
    13. DM R.Meireles (Porto)
    14. DM Maniche (Internazionale)
    15. AM Deco (Barcelona)
    16. AM C.Martins (Recreativo Huelva)
    17. FW C.Ronaldo (Manchester United)
    18. FW Nani (Manchester United)
    19. FW Quaresma (Porto)
    20. FW Simao (Atletico Madrid)
    21. ST Nuno Gomes (Benfica)
    22. ST H.Postiga (Panathinaikos)
    23. ST H.Almeida (Werder Bremen)
    My only qualms are, I'm not sure if he'll take Moutinho over bringing P.Ferreira.I mean, do you guys think he will bring 3 attacking mids or do you think he will pick Moutinho over Martins??? Also I have a feeling he's gonna bring Postiga over Makukula (I reeeeeeeeally hope not, I will be cheesed, ^%&%) but I think Postiga has scored recently for his club and I heard Maku is getting no playing time.
    1. AM

2. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    looks good.

I do not think moutinho will get called up, but meira can play DM in a pinch so maybe meireles might not get called and moutinho gets a go or maybe M. fernandes

I think Maku's lack of playing time might keep him out of the squad.

We are very thin at the LB spot so I think ferreira and ribeiro are in

3. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I hate to be nitpicky, but I am going to be anyways :p

Jorge Ribeiro will not be a Benfica player OFFICIALLY until the start of training camp for the 08/09 season, so for all intents and purposes, he is currently a Boavista player. If you are going to call him a Benfica player already, then you would have to say that Helder Postiga is a Porto player, not a Panathinaikos one because he is being loaned to the Greek club, right?

:)

All in all, I agree with your squad. Makukula has hardly played since going to Benfica and doesn't deserve to be on the team, and Caneira has had an inconsistent season, and will not be going to Euro 08, either. The Meireles/Moutinho debate is the other one hot topic - both deserve to go, but one of them will not. One guy who I will miss is Jorge Andrade. This is yet another tournament that he is missing out on due to injury, and he may have lost his spot on the NT for good...

4. Figo_7

Figo_7 Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Djalo deserves a spot more than postiga, he's had a really good run of form and could be a dangerous weapon in the euro. I'm praying he gets the call even though it's a long shot as I don't recall him ever being capped at the senior level.

5. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Scolari did say there would be a surprise, could it be a Manny Fernandes call up...we will wait and see.

6. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Please God let it be so, by far our most naturally talented midfielder and physically imposing.

Hes not in the amazing form of last season, but the past 2 months hes been good, very good.

Great performances vs chelsea and arsenal.

I'm worried scolari will call up caniera, petit, and other shits like that though:(

Hugo almeida has been in good form the past couple weeks, thank God.

7. lammentations

lammentations New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maniche, Tiago and Caneira deserve a spot in the roster...:)

8. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Tiago?!?!

He was voted FLOP OF THE YEAR in Italy.

Maniche has barely laid foot on a football pitch at Inter..

but he brings his game for the national team, always.

Tiago is a waste of space.

Caneira, the less said the better.

Simple as.

9. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am pretty sure this is the squad we will see except maybe Moutinho for Meirelles.
    I personally would bring Fernandes instead of Moutinho, or maybe both for Meirelles and Martins.

10. Tribalsun

Tribalsun New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    i say instead of Martins he brings Moutinho, and instead of Postiga Makukula...

i'd really like to see fernandes there...

anyone catch Pele for inter yesterday? i'm hoping this kid really develops. he can be a monster of a player if things go well .

11. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I saw the highlights, NICE FINISH!

12. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's Scolari we're talking about her, you know, the Stubborn Coach????
    So expect him to call Caneira!

Meireles and Moutinho will both most likely be called, not sure at the expense of whom.

Why do you miss Jorge Andrade (who was obviously past his best days even before transferring to Juventus) when you have Carvalho, Pepe and B. Alves?

13. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm thinking he could be the surprise Scolari has mentioned because we're in "Dire Straits" without a true Trinco in there w/ no Costinha and no Petit...
    I see F. Meira and Moutinho or Veloso as not true trincos although they can play the position when needed.

14. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You bring up a very good point...the NT needs to play with a True DM.

A player that can win possession and distribute quickly. Veloso comes the closes but he is not there yet defensively.

Particularly if Portugal play 4-2-3-1 then they need atleast 1 true trinco to help out the back line.

15. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Here is my squad.

RB:

Miguel
    Bosingwa

CB:

Carvalho
    Bruno Alves(My man!)
    Pepe
    Meira

LB:

Ferreira
    Ribiero

DM:

M.Veloso
    Maniche
    Meireles

AM:

Deco
    Manuel Fernandes

Wingers:

Ronaldo
    Nani
    Quaresma
    Simao

Strikers:

Almeida
    Makukula
    This is where I am torn. My normal brain says to go with expericence in Nuno Gomes, but Djalo has been on a tear lately.

16. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Here is my squad.

RB:

Miguel
    Bosingwa

CB:

Carvalho
    Bruno Alves(My man!)
    Pepe
    Meira

LB:

Ferriera
    Ribeiro

DM:

Veloso
    Maniche
    Miereles

AM:

Deco
    Manuel Fernandes

Wingers:

Ronaldo
    Nani
    Simao
    Quaresma

Strikers:

Almeida
    Makukula
    Either Gomes or Djalo.

My brain says Gomes because of his experience and clutch, but Djalo has been on a tear lately, scoring some wonderful goals and actually finishing.

17. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We don't need both towers I say leave one and bring 2 of these 3 Gomes, Djalo and Postiga.

18. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pele wondering if Scolari has been paying attention to him and hoped for a shot at the Euro 2008: http://www.maisfutebol.iol.pt/noticia.php?id=949702&div_id=1194

19. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I rather have Pele in the line up then Meirelles and Moutinho or Fernandes instead of Martins. BUT I doubt we will see that happen.

20. kastro0418

kastro0418 New Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Toronto
    I understand no one wants to see him there, but Petit will be included in this squad. Scolari is looking for the leadership and guidance to mesh with all the talent this young squad has. He hasn't been able to target a single player capable of filling Figo's crucial role (and I'm not referring to playmaking ability, but strictly the ability to lead) from the EURO 2004 and World Cup 2006 squads and as a result, will not fill the midfield with a bunch of talented young guys. Petit is one of the few guys left on this squad with major tournament experience and capable of providing relevant input. Although he will not start ahead of Veloso, he will be there. I also wouldn't count on Makukula, Pele, Tiago or Djalo to be called upon, but I'm suspecting that Manuel Fernandes might be the surprise callup. And our three strikers are going to be Nuno Gomes, Hugo Almeida and Helder Postiga.

21. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Antunes at leftback, simple.

Every time he steps on the pitch for Roma he looks great, and their fans have nothing but praise for him.

We have to start grooming him now, hes our only left footed player, and he has superb quality with his left foot.

Scolari said himself thier will be some suprises in defence in regards to young players, and i think hes hinting at Antunes.

Heres hoping.

22. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Antunes lol I f'n wish man.Anyway, does anyone know when the squad is announced if the numbers will be assigned at the same time...I'm itching to get ma jersies.

23. Correia

Correia Member

Dec 5, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Scolari was interviewed on Rtp last night and although he did not reveal much he did confirm Paulo Ferreira and Petit's places on the Euro2008 squad.

24. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Petit, sorry to any of his fans but he is past it and we don't need him taking a spot in midfield that could go Fernandes, Moutinho or Pele or Meirelles even.

25. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ugh. I hope he doesn't touch the field. Ferreira is solid on the that left hand side, just slow at times.