21/22 Rotherham United

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by IvanIV, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That was a huge win especially coming from behind. We can afford to lose Sunderland now as long as there's not a massive goal swing. They've been in great form lately so I wouldn't money on us getting anything. We just have to avoid a massive (5 or so) goal swing. They could still finish second on goal difference if they thrash us and other results go their way.

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Big result today. Like, massive.

Myshoe repped this.
  3. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Myshoe repped this.
  4. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sunderland fans seem quite confident of turning us over. I don't really blame them going by recent form.

IvanIV repped this.
  5. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

UP THE MILLERS!!

6. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Myshoe repped this.
  7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Going into it, I think I would've taken a draw, but what a disappointment that turned out to be. I was working, but had a look at scores at around 83 minutes. Got off work and checked the FT results then ... shame, that.

And now, I've just seen the highlights. Crikey. It's worse than I thought. Smith's miss when he should have put it to bed, and then ... the own-goal ... it wasn't a bad ball in, but no one was going to get on the end of it. Ihiekwe has to be feeling like shit right about now.

Myshoe and IvanIV repped this.
  8. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Heartbreaking at the end especially as Sunderland hardly laid a glove on us all match, we would have been top of the league on goal difference, as things stand we need Shrewsbury to get a result to have any hope of winning the league title. On the other hand depending on what team shows up at Gillingham we could still miss out on autos.

It's a shame for Ihiekwe he was in the EFL League One team of the season along with Smith and Barlaser. It's the recent run of poor form that has cost us if anything not any individual player or mistake.

I'm off to read the Sunderland forums with their fans seething about being dominated by us (again), that should be entertaining at least.

IvanIV repped this.
  9. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #209 Myshoe, Apr 27, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    Usual stuff on Sunderland's forum, some complementary comments that we are a very successful League One side in recent times and they should follow our blueprint to get promotion but most of it bitter. ie. they're a much better footballing side but we play so ugly that we stop them from playing like Barcelona. We'll come straight back down if promoted whereas they wouldn't (probably true but we have a tiny budget and you have to get promoted in the first place). They'd rather slum it in League One playing like they do rather than be promoted playing like we do. etc.

IvanIV repped this.
  10. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Phew! what a relief, nervy nearly the whole match knowing a single goal could drop us into 3rd.

I'm glad we don't have to navigate the playoffs it would have been extremely tough given the form of others. We have plenty of time to prepare for next season now which we'll need. I think someone at the club said Warne will have £7m to spend if promoted (£3.5m in League One) though I'm presuming that includes wages.

IvanIV repped this.
  12. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Myshoe repped this.
  13. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    IvanIV repped this.
  14. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've just been going through our recent timeline, rarely a dull season. :)

2012/13 - Promoted to League One (2nd).
    2013/14 - Promoted to Championship (4th - Playoff winners).
    2016/17 - Relegated to League One (24th).
    2017/18 - Promoted to Championship (4th - Playoff winners).
    2018/19 - Relegated to League One (22nd).
    2019/20 - Promoted to Championship (2nd).
    2020/21 - Relegated to League One (23rd).
    2021/22 - Promoted to Championship (2nd).

IvanIV repped this.
  15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Told ya.

Congrats, Myshoe. A shame to have been beaten to the post by the pie-eaters, as the division title would've been nice (and deserved); but a Football League Trophy and automatic promotion is a decent enough campaign, no?

IvanIV repped this.
  16. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah it's disappointing to have missed out on the title given where we were a month or so ago but the way the wheels fell off it's just a relief to have limped over the finish line in second. We wouldn't have been heading into the playoffs in the greatest of form whereas other teams in there seem to be hitting their peak.

I can't see anything except another relegation next season but you never know, we survived for a couple of seasons before.

IvanIV repped this.
  17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Rotherham are apparently signing former QPR and Charlton forward - and more importantly, former Royal Mail postman, God bless 'im - Conor Washington.

He'll deliver. **ba-dum-tsssh!**

18. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    haha, he'll probably need a regular postal round to make up for the drop in wages.

Latest rumours are Michael Smith is almost certain to go, we've offered him a new contract (no doubt for a few extra peanuts) but Cardiff, Middlesbrough and Ipswich are supposedly all tabling offers. It's not really ideal to be going into a tougher league while losing your star striker.

We've been linked with Tom Eaves as well. All just rumours at the moment mind.

19. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hmm, I wonder what Alex Revell is upto these days, those were the days...

IvanIV repped this.
  20. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LOL, how times change.

Another old game:

Behind the scenes stuff:

IvanIV repped this.
  21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The Star are suggesting that Wednesday could be in for Michael Smith. It's hard to see him staying in League 1, what with having options in the Championship and all. What's more is you can't see him going there to play second fiddle to Lee Gregory, who'll definitely be first choice next season. They could go with two up top, but there's no reason to think that's what Moore wants to do.

That said, Wednesday can probably offer him higher wages than some Championship clubs (Rotherham included, I would think), and if we're honest, he seems to be better suited to the third tier. Be a bit of a kick in the junk to Rov'rum, though, wouldn't it?

Whatever, though ... I just can't see it.

22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    A nice (or in Fenwick's case, not-so-nice) bit of pre-Spurs Clive Allen and Terry Fenwick for QPR, there. I also had no idea that Emlyn Hughes played - let alone managed! - at Rotherham. Enjoyed that.

... can't be arsed to watch Chelsea, mind.

23. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Freddie Ladapo has gone to Ipswich, he wanted to be closer to friends and family in London but he's essentially passed up the chance to play in the Championship in favour of League One, no doubt on higher wages.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Wednesday signed Smith. I hope not though there's already rumours of Derby trying to sign Ihiekwe, we've been promoted and are still struggling to hold onto big players.

IvanIV repped this.
  24. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Player manager by the looks of it might be why he joined us, bit before my time though.

25. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be pleased but very surprised. We cock everything up.