21/22 Rotherham United

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by IvanIV, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not ideal to be going into the Championship with a big turn over of key players. Our midfield and goalkeepers are solid and fairly settled (touch wood!) but we look like having to replace defenders and strikers for next season. Our success or failure next season is probably going to depend to a large extent on what happens this transfer window.

IvanIV repped this.
  2. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #227 Myshoe, Jun 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    We've signed Peter Kioso from Luton on a 3 year deal for an undisclosed fee, MK Don's fans seem disappointed not to have signed him so he must be decent.

3. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #228 Myshoe, Jun 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    NO SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY, YOU CAN'T HAVE HIM HE'S OURS. DOWN BOY! GOOD DOG.

4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    That three-year contract might help.

5. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tom Eaves signed from Hull another 3 year deal to keep Wednesday scouts at bay. :laugh:

IvanIV repped this.
  6. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There's some behind the scenes footage of Warne talking to the players at their training camp in Croatia on the club website if it's viewable outside the UK.

https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/2...n-croatia---paul-warnes-expectations-meeting/

Holy **** the players have to pick up their own drink bottles and turn their socks/shirts right side out, no wonder so many are leaving. I bet Wednesday have a full time water boy and everything.

He basically says that all of the players need to be 5% better than last season or we're ducked and his goal is to push for mid table.

pookspur repped this.
  7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #232 pookspur, Jul 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    I like that, by the way. The turning socks and shirts the right way round ... and putting bottles in the bin ... that's good stuff. It's saying you need to respect the kit man, you need to respect the ground staff, as they're all part of the unit. And a club the size of Rotherham - in the Championship - everyone needs to be pulling in the same direction.

And the 'sit with someone else' bit ... when Pochettino first got to Tottenham, he made sure that every player shook hands with every other player every day at the beginning of training. Spurs players then had these stupid specialized handshakes with each other - all of them - that folks (me included) looked at and cringed. But they were indicative of something else, entirely. And boy did Poch's early Spurs teams play for each other!

I suppose in one sense, it may come off a bit 'high school' (or 'Sunday league', or whatever works). And if you're employing a bunch of millionaires, you can see the eyes rolling. But he's got to get these together and punching above their weight or it'll be a very long year. Good luck to him/them.

Myshoe and IvanIV repped this.
  8. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #234 Myshoe, Jul 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  10. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    pookspur and IvanIV repped this.
  11. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We're hosting the French group games and also a quarter final in the women's Euro 2022, by the sound of it we might be allowed to keep some of the upgrades that have made to the stadium.. they've improved some of the lighting, added electronic advertising boards and kitted us out with goal line technology. They're using VAR as well but I imagine you need a **** load of pitch side cameras for that. We're usually lucky to get 1.

Electronic advertising boards would be nice though, it'll hopefully allow us to bring in more revenue during the season.

IvanIV repped this.
  12. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Came across this on the Wednesday forum earlier:

Rotherham town centre in all it's glory, he missed out the ground though.

pookspur and IvanIV repped this.
  14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Excellent, Myshoe! Enjoyed that. Can't get enough of South Yorkshire, me.

I got a bit excited, there, around 10 minutes in as we got a pretty decent view of the Bridge Chapel*; but he came back round some nine minutes later and got right up on it. Nice. After that it looked like he wanted to head toward the new ground, looking down Forge Lane and starting down Central Road ... but he probably would've lost a bit of the old city flavo(u)r on the way there, no? Still, stadium or no, worth the watch.

Say, Myshoe, whilst on the subject of Rov'rum, where did the name 'Toytown' come from? I've heard it amongst the Wednesdayites for yonks, but never knew what it meant (other than Rotherham, of course). I've suspected it might be derogatory, but never knew for sure. So what are its origins?

Do locals like yourself have any way of referring to the city other than its actual name? Y'know, like Donny, Wakey, Scunny, etc. ... anything for Rotherham that's not derogatory?

*with the Minster, one of my favorite features of Rotherham.

IvanIV repped this.
  15. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Asking the important questions...

16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Keeping my finger on the pulse of South Yorkshire since 2007. :thumbsup:

IvanIV repped this.
  17. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't really know I'm not sure if it's a reference to an old cartoon or TV programme but I've always just seen it as Sheffield fans knocking Rotherham for being small compared to Sheffield as a city. Traditionally, when you put Toy in front of a word it's usually knocking it for being a smaller/children's version of the real thing so it's probably saying that we aren't even a worthy of being called a town.

Not that I can think of.

On the football front, Warne keeps saying that we need 5 more signings but crickets... what's more even if we do sign players now they're not likely to match fit.

IvanIV repped this.
  18. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Boston Castle which I think I've mentioned before.

There's also a plaque with a compass pointing to Boston, Massachusetts but they don't show you that. It seems a few Rotherham'ers back in the day were sympathetic towards the colonials.

IvanIV repped this.
  19. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #244 Myshoe, Jul 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    We've signed Grant Hall from Boro on a season loan, good signing by the looks of things and he's been training with Boro so he's match fit. The downside being if he does well Wednesday will be signing him next summer. :p

IvanIV repped this.
  20. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Two late signings, Scott High a midfielder on season loan from Huddersfield and Lee Peltier who can play anywhere in defence a free agent on 1 year contract. Peltier is getting on a bit but by the sound of it Boro fans would have been happy for him to be given another year there. Likewise Huddersfield fans don't seem too happy about losing High.

IvanIV repped this.