2024 Revs Pre-Season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Nov 9, 2023.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where MLS Eastern Conference depth charts & rosters stand for 2024
    Matthew Doyle
    Tuesday, Jan 30, 2024, 01:00 PM

[​IMG]

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that we have a fair amount of depth, other than at striker. It would be good to see Ian Harkes take a more prominent role. Before he got injured, he was pretty effective.

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Word is that Elis turned down the Revs over the salary. Seems like they were trying to fit him into a sub-DP role, so maybe that limited what they could pay?

Coming this late, that's a pretty big fail. Can Onalfo rebound?

4. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    He certainly seems to think the team needs another winger. They made a bid for Vladimir lucic at the end of December that was rejected, and now elis seems disinclined to come to Foxboro.

FWIW, most pundits seem to think the revs roster is set (I think we need a better 6, and don't oppose adding another capable attacker), and between the homegrowns veterans the winger spots are by far the deepest on the team just by pure numbers.

I think early in the season the revs will be fine, assuming someone seizes the striker position. Esmir looked great against Slovenia, so im hoping he gets some run to start the season and can win minutes in our attacking band

BERich repped this.
  5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was thinking Esmir could have a breakout season, but I don't want to see him crowded out, especially by an almost-DP in an area that we are already pretty deep.

6. maniac13

maniac13 New Member

NE Revolution
    United States
    Feb 10, 2020
    I have previously thought Esmir looked like he couldn't handle the physical play (not unexpected due to his age) but after the international game, I am excited to see how he progresses. If Buck isn't transferring, he can't be buried on the bench per that depth chart above.

pwykes repped this.
  7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Agree - but I have to think he probably wants to use at least one of his premier wings in a striker-like role. It wouldn't make sense to have Chancalay, Borrero and another high-profile signing and not plan to have them all in your 1st choice lineup.
    He looks bigger (at 18, he still has a lot of physical growth potential) and stronger (good offseason conditioning plan?) to me.

A lot of his potential this year will come down to attitude - he's got to play like he belongs in an MLS lineup and can boss the game, which is what his position demands (and we saw some of that in the USNT game). You can't be a great attacking mid by trying to fit in. Fortunately he's got a great model in an undersized player having oversized influence.

pwykes repped this.
  8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't heard any rumors, just putting the pieces together in my head, since the Revs tried and failed to get Elis:

Columbus Crew, Kevin Molino mutually terminate contract
    MLSsoccer staff
    Friday, Feb 2, 2024, 05:21 PM

Molino played for Porter for two season (2021-22), so maybe he'll bring him in?

9. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly a plausible thought, though if you click on his name on the MLS site, the first two articles after the story on his release are about extended absences due to injury. Not someone I'd want if I were looking for an upgrade.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    After last season's late-run/playoff goalkeeper shuffle and the acquisition of Ravas, I'm curious as to how our goalkeeper depth chart plays out.

I think pretty much everyone is expecting Ravas to be the #1 (and it would seem to be a huge fail if he isn't), but I wonder how the late '23 games leave Jackson and Edwards.

I'm hoping that Jackson has leapfrogged EE3, because I think he has a higher ceiling - or at least we have a sense of what EE3's ceiling is. I doubt they'll even address the subject - we'll just have to see what happens when Ravas gets rested.

11. superkeeper

superkeeper Member

Jul 9, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be clear even before Ravas is rested. Once we see those first few gameday rosters you'll know who the backup is unless our field player depth is so decimated that we are already dressing 3 GKs.

rkupp repped this.
  12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is Edwards would be the gameday backup, so Jackson can continue to get minutes with R2. But if Ravas is out for a few games, Jackson would be tapped to step in.

13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ToMhIlL and rkupp repped this.
  14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yeah, 2nd that - a lot more background to his story than I had read before.

He was a pretty exceptional talent from an early stage, but had trouble finding quality clubs/competition. Kind of like Clint Dempsey's situation growing up - having to travel multiple hours if he wanted to play/train with anyone who could challenge him.

The Revs' residency program was a perfect solution and credit to the Revs for going after and recruiting a player all the way out in Wisconsin.

15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every Eastern Conference team's breakout player candidate in 2024
    Matthew Doyle
    Wednesday, Feb 14, 2024, 11:22 AM

Revs: Esmir Bajraktarevic
    The fact he went 90 minutes with the starters yesterday negates the "Porter doesn't play the kids" theory. Sure, he's just keeping the seat warm until Borrero is healthy, but I can see him getting 1,000 minutes this year.

16. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Hopefully! I think for the HGs the minutes targets should looks like:
    Buck: 2000 minutes, primarily as a starter in CM
    Esmir: 1200 minutes, minimum 8 goal contributions
    Panayotou: 500 minutes, primarily as a sub
    Suarez/Miller: US open cup starters
    Tico: 2500 minutes in the USLC on loan
    Fry: Starts every game for R2, 15 goal contributions

17. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me it kind of feels like he’d have to go with more than one kid over a much longer span to feel like the comment is negated?

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    #293 rkupp, Feb 15, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    One of the mysteries of this preseason, to me, is Buck. He didn't play yesterday - I assume he'll play today. [edit: he is starting]. But that implies he's not currently in the first 11.

I thought Buck had a really good run mid-season last year, but thought he was less effective late in the season. So, I feel like he's still got to prove that he is really as good as he looked at times.

19. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who wasn’t less effective late in the season? Chancaly maybe?