2024 Pre-season/offseason New thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Dec 19, 2023.

1. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Peace, brother.

2. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll have a beer with you tonight in spirit, brother Gumby!
    I really like Wilmington, for what it’s worth, and the beach is very close. No comment on the actual education aspect.

bigredfutbol and GumbyG repped this.
  3. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Those are always tough words to hear, I can't really imagine writing them (although I got a taste as my dad "disappeared" recently).

I hope you enjoyed most if not almost all of the ride. When it's my turn I hope I have something coming anywhere near the attitude you are expressing and sharing with us.

Godspeed.

4. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a drunk uncle, I hope you don't mind if I keep you in my prayers for healing. :thumbsup:

5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Another drunk uncle wishing you well and applauding your courage. Someday, all of us "internet nuts" will be in the great cosmic beyond irritating the hell out of Kevin Payne.

6. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doing the college thing now for my eldest - she's waiting to hear back but interviewed with Stanford yesterday and Brandeis a few weeks ago - she's going into Neuroscience/Neurosurgery and for that her top choices are UW (Seattle), UCSD, UC Berkeley, Barnard, Yale, Brown, and U Chicago. So depending on the area of study pick the school that has the best program and more importantly the right fit.

Reach out if you want to talk about the college process or anything else.

7. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    forgot to add:

GMU without a doubt, it means he can easily attend DCU games (and it's my alma mater).

8. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She is a high flier! Good job dad!

9. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's tough to look Tech in the mouth, now that he's been accepted. It's probably another 20K in debt over GMU when all is said and done. I think GMU is his first choice at the moment. We haven't done a campus tour of those two yet...

bigredfutbol and Winoman repped this.
  10. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    A someone in the recruiting world, I can tell you that for most jobs where a degree is required/preferred, most companies and hiring managers are more concerned about whether the candidate has a relevant degree and much less concerned about which (accredited) school conferred it.

So I think your preference to avoid paying significantly more is spot on. Depending upon the job, a candidate with a VT degree is generally not going to get a pay offer $4-$8k higher than a similarly qualified candidate with a GMU degree.

Of course, there is value in the networking/alumni connections made during college - but pay setting at medium and larger companies is rarely based on the university. At small firms, hiring managers have more leeway to be biased in paysetting towards a candidate's school, especially if they went to the same school.

On the other hand, for someone considering a rarified field like Morrissey's progeny, going to less value-oriented schools like Stanford, Yale, etc. will definitely make a difference in getting internships and residencies, and future positions.

bigredfutbol, Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  11. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had friends go there and they liked it. I grew up near GMU and wanted to go a bit further away. I went to JMU because it felt right on my tour and the program I wanted to go into was better (I changed majors anyway).

bigredfutbol, Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  12. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    True story. My son got into Christopher Newport University and was undecided on a major. That spring I was in a cab in Las Vegas with a colleague and my son called. The call ended and I told my colleague that my son just told me he had settled on a major -- philosophy. The cab driver turned around and said, "that was my major in college too." Nevertheless, my son is now a practicing attorney in DC and making more money than I ever did. If there is a moral to this, it's don't sweat the beginning, let you kids find their ways. Some are more focused early on, some take awhile to get there.

13. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the moral of the story might be: Don't sleep on Christopher Newport's Philosophy program!

14. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    As the FC St. Pauli song goes... "Walk on, walk on, with home in your heart, because you will never walk alone!" (This may have been stolen from some Glaswegian football club that stole it from some Liverpudlian football club)

bigredfutbol and GumbyG repped this.
  15. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    bigredfutbol, GumbyG and griffin1108 repped this.
  16. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read a similar article. Philosophy majors get recruited to a lot of high end consulting and the like, or go to law school. A smart person with very well developed analysis skills is sought after in a number of industries.

17. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #867 GumbyG, Feb 22, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    Or they're a tabula rasa. I had no idea what I wanted to do, and took two harmony courses my first year. Got recruited as the TA for those courses my sophomore year, and found out I could go on two study groups if I stuck with it. That's basically how I, a hick from Appalachia, ended up with a BA in Music with a minor in Asian Studies. Went on to study Musicology for two years at UNC and dropped out to become a programmer. Probably should have studied philosophy, it was apparently an awesome major at Colgate. But I wouldn't trade my college experience for anything.

18. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I can see a company looking at philosophy majors as very smart people who don't look at, say, supply chain management or financial analysis through a bunch of preconceived notions. Being someone who can critically look at a process or business from a fresh angle seems like a very marketable skill.

Mountainia and GumbyG repped this.