2024 MLS Week 3 Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by SouthRef, Mar 2, 2024.

1. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant internationally. They sell a ton of player and training gear all over the world so I didn’t know if they had any referee accounts overseas with the same kits PRO uses.

2. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. And I’ll join you. That PK call was terrible. :ROFLMAO: Although his movement and work rate have been really good.

3. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I don't think so. They are fairly new and it is a US based company so it would be difficult for them to gain any traction in a non US league.

I think it's still kind of in the start-up phase.

They are trying to Cornwell the US market first.

4. Deacon_

Deacon_ New Member

Chelsea/Portland Timbers
    United States
    Jan 3, 2024
    Yes, I agree. I’ve been impressed by this referee so far apart from the missed fk call at ‘16 and the on-field pk call.

5. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    He must have had a bad angle and just didn’t see it right. His movement and positioning so far has been better than most of the replacement referees so far, for sure.

Deacon_ repped this.
  6. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also seemed a bit delayed on the whistle. I wonder if the AR influenced the decision. Either way, VAR correctly intervened and it was a quick review.

7. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    VARs for this set of games:

7:30 Fletcher
    8:30 Frank Anderson, Ian Anderson, Geiger, Barkey, Ricci
    9:30 Gantar

8. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Very good delayed offside to deny a Kansas City goal in '11 by AR2.

Deacon_ repped this.
  9. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The referee pointed the wrong way on a free kick in Dallas before correcting himself after some dissent

10. soccerking1990

Aug 11, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and the caution to Seally seemed erroneous.

11. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Interesting call down by VAR in Chicago-Cincinnati.

12. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    AR1 out of position twice on the eventual tying goal by FCD in first half stoppage time. Flag up for offside overruled by VAR.

13. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they got it right - thought he got the ball live but seemed clear on review

Not the smartest challenge but thems the breaks

14. soccerking1990

Aug 11, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR came back and corrected an offside call to allow the goal for Dallas.

15. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's a good send down. Of course, I also think that makes it a bad on-field miss. And the management of the PK was then poor. Also, Frank Anderson at VAR didn't really show the best angle to start there. So it was all too choppy, but the right call was made, at least.

SouthRef repped this.
  16. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Hey, I did that today! Albiet it was for a throw-in and the 2nd time I had that team today (3-game set) so my mind had second-game-itis :)

It also helped that the game was a U14 Girls.

17. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    It looks like today across the world we had two disastrous referee decisions

1. La Liga: Manzano blowing the game-ending whistle at 90+8 just before a cross from outside the PA gets headed into goal for the game winner

2. England: Tierney blowing the whistle for a head injury with the ball clearly outside the PA in possession of the offense, then gives a drop ball to the keeper and they score a game winning goal off of it.

It's just funny to think about those in contrast to the "fail Mary" referee catastrophe we are waiting for in MLS, when I think either of those would qualify.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Disastrous?"

Unless there was some very strong justification to add stoppage time to the stoppage time, this decision appeared perfectly correct. Real Madrid lost their minds because, well, that's what big players on big clubs in big moments on big calls can occasionally do.

The theoretical "disastrous" decision here would be if Gil Manzano had moved toward blowing full time and then allowed the goal somehow.

This decision seemed very incorrect and very bad. Yet the consequences of it already seem to be overexaggerated. Possession changed wrongly because of the referee. Liverpool scored how long after? It wasn't "off of it." I believe Forest possessed the ball at least a couple times in the interim.

Now, with all that said, I think this has all sort of been my point and why it's never been about some sort of "Fail Mary" equivalent. Very good professional referees make very controversial (good, marginal or bad) decisions all the time. It's inherent in our sport. That's Gil Manzano today. And very occasionally, you get a bizarre and very possibly technically incorrect decision from even the best (see Tierney today). KMIs are big decisions and often controversial. It's what officiating in our sport is.

Subpar officiating at the professional level--particularly in the VAR era--is something different. And not something that casual fans are likely to pick up on.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reckless YC for STL and VC retaliation for NYCFC via VAR at 83'. I believe the referee had... a foul with no misconduct?

One of those, again, with a correct result. But the initial decision leaves a lot to be desired. PRO management is carrying some of these games.

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, wait. He had a yellow out initially. I'm going back to watch...

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched all the replays. He clearly goes for the yellow at the point of the foul, before the retaliation occurs. He then has the yellow out but stands over the injured player. But never shows it before going to the monitor for the VC. So he shows the yellow for the foul after an OFR (and gave the VAR signal). But it appears he had it the whole time, at least.

Deacon_ repped this.
  22. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #122 SouthRef, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    CHI-CIN 92'

pretty big miss at midfield

Acosta fouls the Chicago midfielder and gets the call

EDIT: did not affect the game but just looked like a poor decision

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Philadelphia's equalizer comes directly off one of the most atrociously missed throw-in decisions I've seen at this level.

Ball's in your court, Peter Vermes...

24. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There hadn't been a lot bad today that's been blatantly obvious before that. Yeah, needed to overturn a bad red card in near white-out conditions, offside an issue here or there again, but no disaster scenario. Stoppage time from that one might qualify.
    Vermes earned himself a RC at FT, but I didn't see anything given on the broadcast and wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it wasn't.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given what I said about the EPL situation, I should clarify that "directly" isn't strictly true, at least not in a referee/LOTG sense. It directly led to the corner kick which the goal was scored from.

But it was still atrocious. And the game is over if the throw-in goes the other (correct) way. So it was very consequential.