News: 2024 MLS Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Jan 8, 2024.

1. AhiTun4

AhiTun4 Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Mar 16, 2024
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since its a California Clasico, it usually gets quite a bit of attention. San Jose however isn't doing well and considering how unpopular John Fisher is right now, it's really keeping fans away from the Quakes whether in the Bay Area or on the road.

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yeah, I've never seen this many galaxy fans at a classic, but I've also never seen so few earthquakes fans.

3. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy fans are starting to believe and they have an entertaining product to watch with the "Killer P's". They went out and spent on young players in their prime who are producing on the field. Winning teams with star players is usually a good draw in any sport.

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MBTA Commuter Rail and Keolis will provide round-trip, special event train service from Boston and Providence for the New England Revolution’s Major League Soccer home defeat vs. Inter Miami CF on Saturday, April 27.

AhiTun4, harrylee773 and SetPeace repped this.
  5. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Presumptive on the defeat? I smell an upset! Well...it could happen.

superdave repped this.
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may have edited the original quote.

7. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

MLS baby! If San Jose played Miami after dark, you just know it would end up being bizarre. Logic would tell you Miami would easily win, but MLS After Dark would more likely go for a 6-5 San Jose win. :geek:

SetPeace repped this.
  8. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The story on the Revs website seems to indicate that this "service" consists of one train from Boston to Foxboro and one train from Providence to Foxboro. How many people can that carry? Enough to make a difference in a 60,000+ crowd?

Also, the story says that trains returning to Boston and Providence will depart 30 minutes after the end of the game. I've only been at Gillette Stadium once, for the US-Spain game in 2011, but an hour after I started the engine of my car in the parking lot, I was still crawling along an exit ramp within sight of the stadium. I suppose that the railroad people have experience from Patriots games on how long it takes for a packed Gillette to empty out, but 30 minutes sounds tight.

SetPeace repped this.
  9. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the known attendances for 13 of the 14 matches last weekend, the TOTAL came to: 293,809.
    That's good for an AVERAGE ATTENDANCE of: 22,601. Since LAFC normally checks in around the 22k mark for its home games, the average total for the weekend will be slightly less than what's shown now.

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  10. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    So all the predictions were right, and MLS disappeared from people's minds once moving to Apple, right?

TrueCrew and AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  11. CalvinKnox

CalvinKnox Member

Columbus Crew, Liverpool
    United States
    Sep 6, 2008
    Columbus,OH

MLS' site finally has put up LAFC's attendance: 22,122.

AZUL GALAXY and SetPeace repped this.
  12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that's 22,566 average?

Not bad for what I thought was going to be a poor weekend.

13. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Attendance record going to be broken again this year. Looks like big attendance improvements for galaxy and NYCFC. And now New England is about to get 65k.

AZUL GALAXY and superdave repped this.
  14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I watched a ufl game on Fox and the product is fine but the horrible attendance really kills it. You can't understate how much packed sss have done for MLS.

15. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The COVID era really proved that point. Empty stadium games in all sports just weren't the same. As much as we say we just care about the product on the field, the obvious truth is that the entire product presentation is key.

16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    During covid I was just happy to have sports back, so I didn't complain one bit.

AhiTun4, TrueCrew and JasonMa repped this.
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As does the Saudi Pro League.

SetPeace repped this.
  18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    65,612 in New England for the Inter Messis. This is a club soccer record (beat MLS cup) and second biggest soccer attendance ever at the stadium (I wonder what had more?) Also higher than any match for the Patriots last season.

Edit the record is quite a bit higher. Brazil beat Mexico 3-1 during an international friendly in front of 67,584 fans on Sept. 12, 2007.

RafaLarios, SetPeace, Quaker and 2 others repped this.
  19. AhiTun4

AhiTun4 Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Mar 16, 2024
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only thing that will beat both of these is 2026.

20. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    It’s never been more popular and it’s not just Messi. Stadiums have been packed (except the NFL stadiums). People talk about the viewership, which has never been reported. But by a paying customers metric MLS is doing great.

2 million subscribers as of the end of last year. People will talk about free subscriptions, but the first year of streaming products often come with similar promos. We also know that subscribers to sports streaming apps have a very high renewal rate.

Since there’s not a T-Mobile deal this year, that means all renewals are now paying customers, if memory serves I believe sports streaming apps have 90%+ renewal rates. So 2 million subscribers are paying customers. That’s way more valuable than viewership numbers.

Everything is up. Near a billion dollars in team and league sponsorships. Merchandise sales soaring. Season tickets sales soaring. Ticket revenue soaring.

Also, with respect to viewership, it is also important to note that not only do sports streaming apps have strong renewal rates, they also get a higher percentage of subscribers watching games. So, that helps with advertising revenues, So, the extent that viewership matters, we should be confident that viewership is sold even as we can’t put numbers to it.

The league was supposed to be dying a quiet death because of the Apple deal. Now the same sports business experts who predicted failure of the Apple deal were the same types who predicted MLS would fold by 1998 at the latest.

This League is remarkably successful.

I haven’t even touched the success of Leagues Cup. It averaged 635k viewers per game on Univision’s family of networks. And that’s just half the audience. I want you think about the number I am about to put out. But Eddie Cue said last year that every Messi game had at least a million viewers on MLSSP. The final drew 1.5m viewers on Univision and at least a million on MLSSP.

Why does MLS care more about Leagues Cup than USOC. The answer is the number 2.5 million as the lowest possible estimate for the Leagues Cup. Before Messi came to MLS Eddie Cue said they were matching TV viewership numbers. That could mean that Leagues Cup’s audience averaged 1,270,000 viewers when combining Univision and MLSSP.

That same reasoning applies to Fox games. When you see a game on Fox draw 300,000, if Eddie Ciue was right there was another 300k watching on MLSSP. So, the viewership seems fantastic. 600k viewers for such a game,

But subscribers are more important than viewership. As I said paying customers vs freebies.

21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Not necessarily. Lots of media and vipe at world cup events and they might not count.

22. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus they typically are required to have large press sections with desks, and those often cover up actual seats. In an NFL stadium, though, those sections may be built in.

23. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    April 27, 2024 MLS attendance figures (so far)

Austin (vs. Los Angeles Galaxy) 20,738
    New England (vs. Miami) 65,612
    DC United (vs. Seattle) 18,223
    Orlando (vs. Toronto) 21,689
    Nashville (vs. San Jose) 28,984
    Columbus (vs. Montreal) 20,927
    Cincinnati (vs. Colorado) 25,513
    Chicago (vs. Atlanta) 18,236
    Dallas (vs. Houston) 19,096

Missing: New York City, New York Red Bulls, Philadelphia Union, Minnesota United, Los Angeles FC

AZUL GALAXY and RfrancisR repped this.
  24. CalvinKnox

CalvinKnox Member

Columbus Crew, Liverpool
    United States
    Sep 6, 2008
    Columbus,OH
    MLS' site has the Minnesota number: 19,712.

25. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've made a few renovations since then which has resulted in a net decrease in capacity. They used to have a 68k capacity for Football.