2024 CONCACAF U20 Championship: All Teams & Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 15, 2024.

1. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's April 2024. YW.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    News!

The 2024 Concacaf U-20 Championship will start with a group stage. After round-robin play, from July 19 – 27, the top two finishers in each group and the two best third places will advance to the quarterfinals.

Group A: United States, Costa Rica, Cuba, Jamaica
    Group B: Honduras, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Canada
    Group C: Mexico, Panama, Guatemala, Haiti
    https://www.concacaf.com/under-20s-...schedule-for-2024-concacaf-u-20-championship/

TimB4Last, Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    My initial reaction is the groups look pretty even. Maybe ours is the most difficult, but if so it's probably not by much, and there's no reason we shouldn't be beating all three of those teams.

gogorath and gomichigan24 repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #29 Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 12, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    Assuming I am getting this right, if we win our group (which, of course, that's why we play the games) we get the third-place team from one of the other groups (presumably chosen through some ranking scheme I haven't bothered to figure out) and if we beat them, we're in.

Runner-up would be interesting -- we'd get a must-win game against the Group C winner, which would presumably (again, play the games and all that) be Mexico. Third place gets the Group B winner, which would not be Mexico. I'd call that a wrinkle!

EDIT: I guess there are some other scenarios where we'd get Mexico in the all-or-nothing round, but they're somewhat less likely. Like we win our group and Mexico is third in theirs...

Winoman, gogorath and TimB4Last repped this.
  5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    A new wrinkle: Group A 3rd place here we come! :thumbsup:

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Was just catching up on the tournament rules and noted a few things; if they were already mentioned, my bad:

They mention a low age cutoff of Dec. 31, 2009. That is... young, since January 2005 is the high end! I for some reason thought they were tightening up these things, but maybe it wasn't for this competition or something.

Provisional lists due 30 days before the tournament starts. Up to 60 players, 5 must be GKs (so you figure most countries will not stop at the low end, which is 21 players).

Final lists due 10 days before the tournament starts. 21 players, 3 GKs, must come from the provisional list.

I guess we can reasonably conclude from this that the provisional lists will be due mid-June and the final ones early July.

Injury replacements can be made from provisional list up to 24 hours before a team's first game.

ussoccer97531, Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Three keepers is new, no? Qualifying has been two in the past I believe.