2024 CCC Qualifiers [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best info I could find:

Eligible teams can opt out if they wish, likely for financial reasons... as for the French DOM-TOM teams, they have regularly played in recent Caribbean tournaments (you may remember Martininique's Club Franciscain reaching the old Concacaf League).

I'm guessing Concacaf has future plans to give them similar treatment to the other Caribbean leagues in the professional tier (according to Concacaf's criteria) - Jamaica, the DR and Trinibago - with two Caribbean Cup berths and one Club Shield berth. But the Haitian league's been on hiatus since last year, so they got excluded from the regional circuit this time around.

VioletCrown and Catracho_Azul repped this.
  2. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not gonna lie - Concacaf's new system of regional competitions has made our lives easier over here :D

While the group stage concludes in the Caribbean Club Shield and chugs along in the Central American Cup, we're reaching the business end in North America:

1. The Leagues Cup quarterfinals will all take place this Friday:

The only remaining potential hand-me-down situation would involve Monterrey medaling... but I have yet to find an official confirmation on what would happen next:

• Would the extra berth be treated as a wild-card Leagues Cup hand-me-down (going to whoever finishes 4th)?
    • A Leagues Cup hand-me-down reserved for Liga MX (going to Querétaro... or if they also medal, then Toluca)?
    • Or would it be a Liga MX hand-me-down berth, to be determined using their own full-year table (benefiting León)?

2. The US Open Cup semifinals will take place on the 23rd, and suddenly they'll be televised Stateside for some unknown reason:

1689360362519621632 is not a valid tweet id

Nothing to report up in Canada, in the meanwhile... not because I've let my focus slip again, but because it's a dogfight at the top of the CanPL table :eek:

3. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Caribbean Shield, semis:
    Robinhood - Metropolitan
    Golden Lion - Sando

I hope Sando to lose in semis just to see more leagues taking part in Caribbean Cup.

Btw, I see some teams still play first two matchdays at home in Centroamerican Cup. Why is that so? I don't find it OK.

4. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I'm just glad to see that the "professional" teams that dropped into this tier didn't end up dominating the whole thing. Maybe Waterhouse participating would've changed the story... but I'm genuinely surprised at O&M's early departure.

I don't know, but it's worked a charm for Real Estelí :D

dinamo_zagreb and edcalvi repped this.
  5. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It's Robinhood of Suriname and Golden Star of Martinique who will play in Caribbean Cup. They face of later today for the Shield.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  6. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Robinhood waltz past Golden Lion 5-1 to lift the Caribbean Shield:

so over/under on how many minutes the Surinamese Prezi will play in CCL.. 10 mins :D

edcalvi and Paul Calixte repped this.
  7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Miami's "Barça 2015, Expendables version" gambit's already paying off!

2024 CCL Qualifiers

1. CF Toluca [MEX3]
    2. CF Pachuca [MEX1]
    3. Club América [MEX6]
    4. CF Monterrey [MEX5]
    5. Chivas [MEX4]
    6. Tigres UANL [MEX2]
    7. Vancouver Whitecaps [MLS1 or CAN1]
    8. Inter Miami [MLS1, LC1 or LC2]

8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Leagues Cup produces another Champions Cup debutant... one of whom will get to hop, skip and jump to the R16 if they take home silverware on the weekend.

2024 CCL Qualifiers

1. CF Toluca [MEX3]
    2. CF Pachuca [MEX1]
    3. Club América [MEX6]
    4. CF Monterrey [MEX5]
    5. Chivas [MEX4]
    6. Tigres UANL [MEX2]
    9. Nashville FC [MLS1, LC1 or LC2]

edcalvi repped this.
  9. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are those slot identifiers relevant anymore, other than those that get the bye? I thought I saw somewhere that the seeding will be based on the new club rankings instead of the method of qualification.

11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point they only really matter when trying to map out hand-me-down situations... but you're right: outside of those five teams that get to skip to the R16, how you got in to Champions Cup no longer affects your seeding.

...which is good news for Philly, who grabbed the last available Leagues Cup berth to leave the defending champs León out in the cold :oops:

2024 Champions Cup Qualifiers

1. CF Toluca [MEX3]
    2. CF Pachuca [MEX1]
    3. Club América [MEX6]
    4. CF Monterrey [MEX5]
    5. Chivas [MEX4]
    6. Tigres UANL [MEX2]
    9. Nashville FC [MLS1, LC1 or LC2]
    10. Philadelphia Union [MLS1 or LC3]

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  12. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we have another early R16 qualifier! After a back-and-forth 90 minutes, we got a Vancouver-esque penalty shootout to end Leagues Cup, with the goalies deciding it between themselves :D

1. CF Toluca [MEX3]
    2. CF Pachuca [MEX1]
    3. Club América [MEX6]
    4. CF Monterrey [MEX5]
    5. Chivas [MEX4]
    6. Tigres UANL [MEX2]
    8. Inter Miami [LC1]
    9. Nashville FC [MLS1 or LC2]

13. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    whom are the R16 early entrants?

14. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It's Inter, along with already qualified Pachuca.

What happens if Inter wins the USOC - finalist takes their berth or MLS gets that spot?

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    For the USOC, if the champion qualifies through another slot, then the USOC runner-up gets the CCC berth. I think that's the only hand-me-down like that, though, as any other US shared slots cause the hand-me-downs to go down the MLS standings.

Paul Calixte and dinamo_zagreb repped this.
  16. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I see. I was not sure about it, I assumed it is that way, but as UEFA changed that rule (cup runner-up is not going to European competition if winner is qualified through league competition), I thought CONCACAF might have done the same.

17. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My follow-up is if anyone (paging @Robert Borden :D) knows whether the same applies in Canada... in the highly unlikely event that Vancouver claims an MLS berth.

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    In our case, the next best team of the CPL would get the CCL berth - not the runner up of the domestic cup

19. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article says the the Canadian Championship slot passes down through the Canadian Championship results, even if they have to go to the losing semifinalists:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/how-clubs-can-qualify-for-the-expanded-2024-concacaf-champions-league

NOTE: Should the Canadian Championship winner hold multiple CCL qualification slots, then the runner-up will fill the slot. Should the runner-up hold multiple CCL qualification slots, then the highest-ranked Canadian Championship semifinalist will earn the slot.

The US Open Cup is different--the slot would be transferred to the runner-up if necessary, but if the runner-up is also double-qualified, then the slot goes to the next available team in the MLS table.

20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thanks, it must have changed -the previous commissioner had said that the next spot would go to CPL. Thanks for the info

21. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick heads-up, y'all:

Inter Miami reaching the US Open Cup Final has turned the US Open Cup nightcap, Houston Dynamo vs. Real Salt Lake, into an immediate Champions Cup qualifier.

22. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there it is! The infamous "RSL melts in the August Texas heat" trope played out again - and apparently drove Vera stir-crazy, seeing that attempt to spark a melee at the end - with Houston overcoming them 3-1 in extra time to join Inter in both the Open Cup Final and the continental stage.

1. CF Toluca [MEX3]
    2. CF Pachuca [MEX1]
    3. Club América [MEX6]
    4. CF Monterrey [MEX5]
    5. Chivas [MEX4]
    6. Tigres UANL [MEX2]
    8. Inter Miami [LC1]
    9. Nashville FC [MLS1 or LC2]
    11. Houston Dynamo [MLS1 or USOC]

23. maizenblue07

maizenblue07 Member

May 8, 2008
    We could have another qualifier from Canada as soon as Saturday. There are 3 weeks left in the season, and Cavalry has a 6 point lead at the top of the table.

The clinching scenario for this week is: Cavalry will win the CPL regular season title (and the 2024 CCC berth) with a win AND a Pacific draw or loss.

24. maizenblue07

maizenblue07 Member

May 8, 2008
    Another team to keep an eye this week is Cincinnati for a Supporter's Shield standings berth.

It looks like they could actually clinch tonight (Wednesday) with just the right results. For them to clinch today, they would need to win AND have Columbus lose AND have LAFC draw or lose AND have Vancouver draw or lose.

Note that I'm assuming that Vancouver would get the SS berth for finishing top 4 and their Canadian Champs berth would fall to MTL based on this thread.

With all of these results, Cincy would be guaranteed to finish top 5 in the SS standings with already qualified Philadelphia one of the teams ahead of them.

VioletCrown repped this.
  25. maizenblue07

maizenblue07 Member

May 8, 2008
    CIN needed a stoppage time PK to salvage a 1-1 draw at MTL, so they can try again on Saturday to clinch a CCC berth.

The clinching scenario for Saturday is a CIN win AND a Columbus draw or loss.