2023 TV

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by goldclover, Aug 2, 2022.

1. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "Coming in 2023, the new MLS streaming service on the Apple TV app will be the exclusive destination to watch every single live MLS match, including all CFFC matches, with no blackouts or restrictions."

I sure hope this does not mean we will no longer have Fire games on WGN and/or ESPN+. I hate having to have/change all these streaming apps all the friggan time.

xtomx repped this.
  2. As far as I know, WGN is out. Homer broadcast teams are out and NFL style broadcast teams are in.

3. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He is correct. No more local TV for any of the franchises in MLS.

xtomx repped this.
  4. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW season ticket holders get free access to the TV package. No word yet on pricing from Apple for everyone else, but some games will be totally free, more will be on Apple TV+, and every game will be on the paid tier that’s free for STHs.

5. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    WTF!

xtomx repped this.
  6. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I will likely purchase season tickets next year for the first time since 2014 because of the bonus free MLS+.

I am actually hoping the NFL moves Sunday Ticket to Apple so I can finally cut the cord. Been a DirecTV subscriber for too long now.

harrylee773 and xtomx repped this.
  7. Old Man!

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My man! Just tell Direct TV that you live in an apartment building (look up some random address in the city) and they’ll let you stream without being a Direct TV subscriber. Billing address doesn’t have to be the same as home address. I’ve done it for years.

harrylee773 and lurak repped this.
  8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why, that sounds dishonest!!!

Old Man! repped this.
  9. Old Man!

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I liked them a lot.

Old Man! repped this.
  11. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    looks like a partial announcement

wonder if they'll be added later -- only five play-by-play guys announced

goldclover repped this.
  12. They'll need at least double that.

13. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Of the five, one is for Spanish broadcasts and one for French broadcasts, so only three for English.
    I am a bit pleased to see that Max Bretos is there. He is a great guy to despise.

But a bunch of 'analysts.'
    Marcelo Balboa is one of the worst announcers every. Boring as anything, but appears to be limited to Spanish broadcasts.
    Taylor Twellman is there to add his "expertise"... in using 1,000 words for something that could be stated in 5 words or less.

14. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" - Max Bretos

xtomx repped this.
  15. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I am excited that I can simplify getting my mom access to games on TV. It's been a hodgepodge for a while now and this should make things easier. Channel 9 was awesome and will be missed. One of Joe's greatest coups since he bought the team.

Mikebsiu and goldclover repped this.
  16. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I get streaming is the future and mls fans skew younger, but how are we going to grow the fire fan base? I have to think a lot of current fans won’t buy apple plus and this mls subscription. I really think this ends up hurting us.

Fuegofan, xtomx and wolvesfirehope repped this.
  17. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I agree except if that can open up the purse strings and get Messi, Mbappe, Haaland, etc.

18. Old Man!

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the argument is that you don’t have to subscribe to Apple TV+ to buy the MLS Season Pass and having games on linear TV for 25 years hasn’t really improved TV viewership much anyway.

19. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I still think that the Fire should rework their deal with WGN and turn it into a radio deal. It'd be less, but it would have a similar level of relevance to the city. Obviously, not many people listen to the radio anymore, but it would help to still provide a hometown perspective. Don't need a "big name" like Meola or a "professional" like Terens. Hire local for a local broadcast. Even if there won't be as many people listening to radio, it'd certainly help the mystique of the team to have some cool hometown radio calls to put up alongside the highlights instead of whatever pick of the week we're gonna get on Apple TV.

20. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    i'll tell the league over and over, i have no desire to get apple tv for their other offerings so i won't add that to my streaming options just for fire games. i pay for cable and i pay for two streaming packages already. can't add a third. if that means i never get to see mls games, i guess that's what it means. having it hard to access is not a way to get casual fans to pay attention. aside from the money perspective, i can't possibly see how anyone in the league office actually thought this was a good idea for the future.

xtomx repped this.
  21. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    But you basically only want MLS for free, and the league can’t support that yet. They’re not the NFL or (shitty) EPL. The old model simply doesn’t work.

22. Quality line!

23. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    FWIW, it’s not tied to regular Apple TV. You get a discount if you’re an Apple TV subscriber, but it’s not a prerequisite to getting the MLS package.

$15/month, $99/year for anyone

$13/month, $79/year for those who subscribe to regular Apple TV

Free for season ticket holders

bunge repped this.
  24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think you are correct and that is the argument, but it is a bad argument.

1) that is a bad deal for Apple TV. Their primary goal in making this deal would be to increase their subscription base, I imagine.

2) It mean people have to subscribe to yet another streaming service, full Apple TV or just the MLS package.

3) I agree about the current tv has not really worked, either. However, this will not improve the situation.

wolvesfirehope repped this.
  25. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    This is not horrible. It’s fair. They need to find people willing to pay for the league.

xtomx repped this.