2023 Preseason - Wayne's final? season

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by griffin1108, Jan 6, 2023.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Once is a chance, twice is coincidence, three times is a pattern... So we'll see if the next game is 2-3 as well

I like that we're scoring twice per game. I don't like that we're letting in thrice per game. I hope the latter can be chalked up to the injuries reported on our backline, because otherwise I'd honestly be pretty pleased at the scoring output.

Winoman repped this.
  2. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see the starters knocking in some goals regularly this early, but if that’s the starting center back duo on opening day against Insigne? Uh oh

Winoman repped this.
  3. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a 0% chance the starting CBs on February 25 will be Andy Najar and Matai Akinmboni. Birnbaum's only out due to illness, and I'm guessing Pines will be ready by the 25th; if not, they can always slot Palsson back there.

PSURoss, United fury and Winoman repped this.
  4. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 45-minute match between DC and Vancouver ended in a 1-1 tie.

Winoman repped this.
  5. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? That is far from clear. In fact, it's a complete unknown to everyone who has not heard a firsthand account of the situation from players. It's not hard to imagine a scenario where he has lost the players, but it's equally reasonable to see how they might still be with him 100%.

You don't know. I don't, either.

6. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Not even another Spoon season would cause even a mild irritation among the DC United fanbase. This is a disengaged fanbase. I mean that truly. This is the ultimate power position for the FO, they can do as they want, doesn't matter the results, and the same relative number of butts will be in seats and MLS will pay out their pyramid scheme money from expansion to help pay the bills. Fans have neither the interest nor the passion to ever meaningfully complain.

7. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    In case anyone cares. Ted switched to 21 because that was his number when he was a kid because he wanted to emulate his big brother. His big bro played at Marymount and had a contract offer from Rayo Vallecano. (Not with 1st team).
    Btw, big bro is 6'4". They are the only two boys in a fam of 9 kids.

Atouk, Alejandro 10, fatbastard and 3 others repped this.
  8. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    First hand account from Reyna — I’m disappointed this didn’t stay in the locker room
    First hand account from Pepi — I hung up on Gregg
    First hand account from Arriola — Completely gutted. When accepting a call to join the January camp, it would’ve been different if Gregg had made the call.

That’s three separate first hand accounts from players suggesting, if not stating outright, in public, that Gregg has burned those bridges.

Obviously, you’re going to draw your own conclusions, but that looks a lot like losing the room to me. And those are only the ones we’ve heard so far.

Alejandro 10, Winoman, DCU and 3 others repped this.
  9. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the reply and I get your reasoning but we still disagree. I'm not saying he hasn't lost the locker room. I'm saying for me the public evidence of that is not there. Players being unhappy with a head coach about something does not necessarily equal having lost the ability to lead them. Versions of this happen on every team, even highly successful ones.

And what player would not be gutted being a final cut from a World Cup squad? (but frankly I think less of Pepi for hanging up on Berhalter. That's childish.)

All this is not to say I support Berhalter's return. I guess I'm agnostic. I think he had some real successes with the program but historically second cycle coaches don't do as well, and there might be someone better available. I wish the Gio and his parents thing was not a factor but realistically it probably is.

GumbyG and PSURoss repped this.
  10. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Fair enough. You don’t have to agree with me. It’s entirely subjective, because there’s no objective standard for “losing the room,” which is a pretty nebulous concept in any case.

Let’s just say I was whelmed by the USMNT performance in this World Cup. Neither overwhelmed, nor underwhelmed. Again, subjective. Before the World Cup, I said that Berhalter was the wrong man for the job, and nothing that’s occurred since then has made me change my mind — quite the reverse.

The only good thing to come out of the last two months is Claudio Reyna leaving his job at Austin. “Technical advisor” gives Austin an out to separate him from the team without suffering a wrongful termination lawsuit. While what he did may not have been illegal, it was certainly unethical, and he should pay a price for that — not least to clear the decks so Gio can continue with the program with the next coach.

I think everybody needs a fresh start. Cleaning house is the only way to accomplish that.

Which incidentally, is what I’m hoping for a year from now at DC United, to steer this conversation back on topic. I want to see the team succeed, but I just don’t see how that happens under the current regime.

11. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I'd love for the whole World Cup cycle to go away already. I agree w/Daniel le Rouge2 in that it's time for everyone to go. From the handling of the Women's team pay dispute to the World Cup where I think we underperformed, in terms of how we played. While getting out of the group and going down to a pot 1 power was pretty much my ceiling for this team. Two goals in 4 games was poor. We should have gotten more than a draw from Wales and Iran never should have been that much of a struggle. The England game reminded me of two games the USMNT played in past World Cups. Italy in 1990 or Germany in 2002 when you have a big power team on the ropes and can't get something from the game. Those were also young teams that lacked the experience that they needed but they played fearlessly and we had chances, a very improbable save by Walter Zenga who was beaten between his legs, and the ball hit him in the butt and stayed out, and the Frings handball. I didn't see that vs England. I'll always remember Tony Meola being interviewed postgame wearing Walter Zenga's jersey after the Italy game

12. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we're playing a friendly against LAFC, like, nowish. Or something.

It's hard to escape the barrage of information available on this particular event. If you're on social media and just so happened to check Goff's twitter account.

I'd link to it, but I'm tired of doing DCU's job for them. :rolleyes:

13. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

fatbastard, Winoman and Daniel le Rouge2 repped this.
  14. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sellout. :p

What are we thinking here? 433 (or 4231) with Santos and Ted playing inverted wingers?

15. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume @morrissey isn't commenting because he's watching somewhere through binoculars.

Might even be at this game.

Winoman repped this.
  16. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL.

I'm guessing by where the semicolons are it's a 4-4-2. Maybe if there are any highlight videos posted we'll get a better idea.

17. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    4-2-2-2. Canouse and Palsson covering in front of the backline, Pedro Santos and Klich more advanced. Maybe Ted lying a little deeper than Benteke.

Another alternative is Canouse as the lone 6, Palsson and Pedro Santos as dual 8s, and Klich in a free role under the forwards. Sort of a diamond midfield without a true #10.

Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  18. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I didn't see the semi-colons.

The 4222 seems reasonable, ya, but that's pretty narrow for Rooney(?)

If it's a diamond, I'd guess Palsson at the 6 and Canouse/Klich shuttling then. Could be Santos in there, but I think he'd last longer as a 10. Klich is used to an 8 role, and that's really what Canouse was before his comparatively good defensive work pushed him deeper.

Winoman and Daniel le Rouge2 repped this.
  19. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC wins 2-1. Ku-Dipietro scored in the 68th minute to tie it, and Benteke scored the winner (from a Ku-DiPietro assist) in the 98th.

Goff says Ku-DiPietro has 2 goals and 2 assists in the preseason.

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I assume the board's mod is disappointed by the result today.

Atouk, Alejandro 10, Winoman and 5 others repped this.
  21. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could rep your post more than once.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  22. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, an LAFC fan account from someone who was at the game indicates that Santos may have been injured in the second half.

23. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably not age related, but it should be noted that not setting the brake on your wheelchair is a common cause of injury.

Hopefully it's minor.

24. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's starting to turn the corner? I'm hoping him and Hopkins step up this year. Fletcher too but he may be a season or two away.

Daniel le Rouge2 and Winoman repped this.
  25. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real Mobile, GumbyG and Winoman repped this.