2023 Preseason Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Nov 15, 2022.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will boldly predict: somewhere between 7th and 10th.

We’ll be better than last season, but we aren’t going to challenge for top of the table.

F#$& El-Lay!!!

Beerking repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the best articles from every MLS preseason...

MLS executives make picks for MLS Cup winner and offer Leagues Cup, playoff format thoughts

Philadelphia Union:

“The thing is, they’re not even that f—ing good,” one executive said. “It kind of hurts me to pick them. All they do is kick the s— out of you. They’re always ready to play, that’s great, that’s good coaching, all that stuff. But they’re just not great. They have a way of doing things and they’re consistent, but it’s not like the quality is amazing. So it hurts me to pick them, but they’ve kind of earned it.”

Toronto FC:

“The best owners are Toronto,” said one exec. “They have an unlimited pile of money, they don’t insert themselves into things and there’s no accountability. LAFC has accountability. The LAFC owners try to add value, in that sense they’re better. But Toronto would be the best job to have.”

Apple TV:

“I think it’s really cool,” one exec said. “MLS will do its best to f— it up, but there’s a big win that’s out there with some work.”

Said another: “We don’t know yet how it’s going to go. Could it be something that’s really forward-thinking and on the cutting edge of what sports consumption and media can be? Yes. Do we know that it’s going to be that? No.”​

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Not sure that these are the sharpest tools in the shed. Claiming Philly isn’t even that good and then “all they do is win”. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Calling Toronto’s owners the “best” because they spend unlimited piles of money and require no accountability? Yeah they’re the “best” if you’re an incompetent MLS executive. Did Tim “Bloody Big Deal” Leiweke write that?

SalinasQuakesFan and don gagliardi repped this.
  4. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that as, my organization pays more but isn't as good. I don't know why.

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The comments are very telling.

JazzyJ repped this.
  6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    72 goals scored 26 goals allowed +46 goal differential = all they do is kick the sh** out of you

SalinasQuakesFan and don gagliardi repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1107 JazzyJ, Feb 23, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    Yeah, they seem to have a pre-conceived notion of what true "quality" is. And when it hits them in the face they can't recognize it.

Or, to paraphrase what you wrote, "They don't even really have any stars, so their quality isn't even that good!"

8. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you are hoping on one leg because they kicked you, it's kind of hard to stop them from scoring or scoring a goal. So...

but, yeah, I think there is more to it. The best teams are often the most consistent and don't necessarily blow you away. Hell, KC won one year by not letting the other team score and just scoring enough. Where they great or fun to watch. Not really...

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Holy crap, 26 GA last year, and 72 GF? I guess they were just short of the league record GD.

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Lost the Cup on penalties.

JazzyJ repped this.