2023 MLS Season

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Dec 13, 2022.

1. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant Apple TV the black box you hook up to your TV. Although you are right most smart TVs either have it pre-installed or you can do it.

quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree strongly that anyone "under 30 watched most content on their phone", unless you limit the definition of "content" to youtube videos, tik tok, instagram, etc. Watching hours long games and movies strain anyone just to do it on a iphone.

4. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    https://awfulannouncing.com/wbd/war...sfer-ownership-and-media-rights-to-teams.html

I know this is stretching the purpose of the thread topic, but we might be past that point anyway. Sports on local cable seems to be sunsetting fatter than expected.

I honestly don’t think you have to limit it for it to be the majority of content. YouTube and TikTok are both free and have limitless amounts of content. I don’t think it can be underestimated how much those sites appeal to younger viewers.

5. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yep, it's a whole new world. No league in any sport can afford to think I'm traditional ways. More and more sports are moving to streaming platforms (NFL now has games on Prime, Apple and MLB, NHL and ESPN+, etc).

As for YouTube, NWSL used to be on YouTube and peeled off soon as they could. Can't monetize those to the same degree as a straight rights deal. Very good for where leagues are too small for rights deals, though, or where interest has to be built. In the soccer world, for example, in the US you can get J-League, K-League and other less fancied leagues for free.

6. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    Yea for YouTube I was speaking more in general viewing habits. Though I could see Sabercats games ending up there if they have issues with ATT

7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you end up navigating to AppleTV and their MLS content, someone at their AppleTV sports department created a very well edited, narrated and visual 7 minute or so Houston Dynamo club history video. Go over there and enjoy! Only thing they forgot was those epic Houston vs. Pachuca battles, which was odd in that they did indeed include our play in CONCACAF regional action and had video showing several of those nights and goals. But no Pachuca. Again, the only thing AppleTV sports folks forgot. The rest is very well done!

Kickoff coming up!

VAMO' HOUSTON and DALE DYNAMO!!!

8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    30 minutes in and not much of a change in the way our players play their pro soccer, i.e. sloppy giveaways, very little showing for the ball nor off the ball movement in the middle of the field. We all knew what we had with a back line that was very suspect last season, well this has not changed.
    As an old coach I understand our guys need to get field time together so not going all in on judging our new look squad but at first eye test, the faces have changed but the graft n the craft have not.
    As I'm typing we might deserve a VAR revirew for potential hand ball!

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, on TV at least, our new "Orange Sol" look kit reminds me of John Elway and the 80's Denver Broncos orange uniforms!

10. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last 15 minutes were much better. The goal was deserved. First 30? Yuk.

CeltTexan repped this.
  11. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does everyone else have same experience I am with the midfield main camera? Blurry as 2am in a bar. Just horrible picture when coming through that MF higher up camera.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  12. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Seems to be better. Something with our unis our messing with the camera. Cincy looks fine.

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, the picture is a higher resolution, but doesn’t look quite as smooth in action

14. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    I’m on the Apple app through a Roku and it looks fantastic.

15. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm apple app on Roku also. I think the picture is fine on my PC, phone, tablet. It is when that 1080p is put on my 95" big screen that it looks bad. Now, having said that, the first half of the Cincy game tonight that one camera was screwed up. My wife even remarked about it. I think it was fixed in the second half -- it was just normal poor image as all the apple games on my big screen.

CeltTexan and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dynamo have announced the theme nights and promotions for the home schedule for the Dynamo and Dash.

https://www.houstondynamofc.com/hou...ce-theme-nights-and-promotions-for-2023-seaso

Some of the special games:
    Limited quantities on all giveaways.

Sat. March 18 - Dynamo - Stadium replica giveaway
    Sat. March 25 - Dynamo - schedule magnet giveaway
    Sun. March 26 - Dash - Stadium replica giveaway

Wed. April 19 - Dash - 713 night

Wed. May 3 - Dash - 713 night
    Sat. May 13 - Dynamo - jersey flag giveaway

Sun. June 11 - Dash - jersey flag giveaway
    Wed. June 21 - Dynamo - 713 night

Fri. July 7 - Dash - luchador mask giveaway
    Sat. July 8 - Dynamo - fireworks postgame

Wed. Sept. 20 - Dynamo - 713 night
    Sat. Sept. 30 - Dynamo - luchador mask giveaway

There are other theme nights described at the link.

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's interesting, the link to the promotional schedule actually goes to the Dash subsite and they seem to be putting a lot of Dash emphasis on every Dynamo club-related announcement. Seems like they should have more Dynamo promotions and even then they say "limited quantities" .

I think they require most of the East Club Seats, Sports Deck and the Pitch Zone season tickets to buy Dash tickets (or they only sell combined full year packages). Just seems odd to tie the two that closely together knowing that there are only so many soccer games most folks can go to in a season.

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Interesting. I pulled that URL from the Dynamo FC site. I didn't realize that it linked to the Dash page.

Pretty prominently listed on the Dynamo FC page, at least for the moment:

https://www.houstondynamofc.com/club/dynamo-fc

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was the same way in emails and tweets. Thought it was odd

20. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have T-Mobile, Tmobile Tuesdays is offering the Appletv season pass for free. Just download TMobile Tuesdays app to see the offer.

21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dynamo Leagues Cup games are set.

Friday, July 1: Dynamo at Orlando City 6:30 pm
    Tuesday, July 25: Santos Laguna at Dynamo 7:00 pm

Orlando will host Santos on Saturday, July 29. The top two in the group advance.
    Broadcast will be on Apple TV. Some games will also be on Fox Sports and Univision.

22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Date corrected:

The Dynamo Leagues Cup games are set.

Friday, July 21: Dynamo at Orlando City 6:30 pm
    Tuesday, July 25: Santos Laguna at Dynamo 7:00 pm

Orlando will host Santos on Saturday, July 29. The top two in the group advance.
    Broadcast will be on Apple TV. Some games will also be on Fox Sports and Univision.

23. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  24. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
  25. Brian Gilchriest