2023 MLS Round 1 Match 2 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by A66C, Nov 2, 2023.

1. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    I see Ter Stegen is a man of culture.

2. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on how much they want to piss off PSRA right now. If they're not close to ending the lockout they probably don't care, but if they're close to an agreement they won't want to rock the boat.

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    This IS a representation of who MLS is.

Can you imagine working for IBM, Cigna, Microsoft, etc., and reporting that a fellow employee made a racial slur against you; having the company investigate it and issue a punishment; only for them to come back and say, "We're not enforcing that."

I hope someday someone sues MLS over this type of crap.

5. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    The league's ego and arrogance has just gone unchecked.

Basically, they've been allowed to do whatever they want for whenever they want because, we as a country, we're so desperate to have a viable professional league.

So US Soccer and FIFA basically allowed them to do whatever they wanted and they are now used to it.

Any pushback from anyone and MLS basically throws a hissy fit.

It looks like they are basically gonna end up canceling the 2024 Open Cup because MLS got mad they had to actually play in the competition.

Just ridiculous.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also sounds like that without MLS in it, they can't afford to run the competition which is problematic. Not that MLS should be bailing but there's a lot of blame to go around here.

7. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    Wagner underwent his sensitivity training to get the suspension reduced. How about miazga’s training is having to referee one of the games due to the lockout to see what it’s like to referee?

A66C repped this.
  8. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    An neither could any domestic Cup competition be run without the first division teams. You think the Copa Del Rey or FA Cup could survive without the Premier League teams?

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that without the PL teams the English FA has enough money to run the FA Cup, yes. They would likely lose money on the competition in the long run, but they could actually pay the bills year over year. I don't believe that the USSF does.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  10. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the chosen verb probably matters here. Or determines the perspective.

Yes, the FA could run the FA Cup without the PL teams. It sort of does something like it now with both the EFL Trophy and the FA Vase. It's not quite the same, of course. But those are two dedicated cup competitions that deliberately exclude higher divisions.

So would the FA Cup run without PL teams? Sure. Would it have the same level of prestige? I don't think so. Try telling me who won the EFL Trophy last year.

And that's England. With 100+ years of history. The USOC, to the extent it was reinvigorated at all, was because of the chance for cup runs by lower level teams or amateurs and wins over MLS clubs. Rochester, Sacramento, Christos, Omaha... those were the stories that started to break through. You take the MLS teams out of it and those are gone. USOC goes back to where it was in 1993, essentially. And as you point out, that status and stature makes it financially untenable.

JasonMa repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. And if the USOC is in a place where its not financially viable without MLS, that's not MLS's fault. I said early in MLS: N&A that I'm fine with MLS teams losing money on the USOC as a way to help build the game, but it has to be at a level that doesn't show up as a notable item on the balance sheet. Its perfectly reasonable for MLs to say "hey, the current format has losing {significant amount of money} per game, which isn't sustainable and we need changes". Its not acceptable for them to say "we added this Leagues Cup tournament so now we don't want to play in the USOC because we make more money over there".

RefIADad repped this.
  12. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so we are to assume that alcohol was involved with his idiotic behavior???

will be reduced by one game following a successful petition based on his continued commitment and compliance with a recommended treatment program overseen by MLS’ Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health (SABH) Program.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Behavioral Health could easily mean anger management, so no, I wouldn't make that assumption. Nor would I assume anger management either, there are many things that would cause SABH to be involved.

StarTime, AremRed, SouthRef and 2 others repped this.