Review: 2023 - Club Discussion and Analysis

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jan 28, 2023.

1. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Is he even old enough to buy beer?

sitruc, Alejandro 10 and tallguy repped this.
  2. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes sense, I guess I’m comfortable with Aki taking Pines’ role for now as the guy who’s plugging holes when they arise.

3. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I would wager more than you think. So these are the top defenders stats along with Birnbaums. He's no all star, but they compare well enough. His tackling is close enough to the best guys in the league. I have no idea what the diff is between a tackle and a duel, but he's got a healthy margin on these league leaders and crushes them in the air. His long passes suck, but his normal passing % is competitive. There's got to be a component to the statistical comparison which is the system the team plays and how good/bad those teams are. And yes its just stats. Each guy bring their own strengths to the table. I'd be willing to bet that he starts for more teams than not. Not sure he's a #1 in all those places, but if most teams a fielding 2 CBs, he's in there. These are a couple of the top defenders according to the MLS site.

Min Clear Blocks Interceptions Tackle Duels Aerial Pass Long
    Birnbaum 1611 74 9 23 57% 71% 78% 83% 38%
    Yeimar (sea) 2586 158 20 77 61% 58% 64% 84% 48%
    Czichos (chi) 2500 101 18 44 71% 58% 57% 85% 60%
    Zimmerman 2029 106 22 33 62% 59% 63% 84% 55%
    Chillini 1739 81 10 38 63% 62% 61% 83% 50%

His stats also compare well to the other 4 starting CBs from the MLS Cup final besides Chillini. We might be getting sick of seeing him play on shitty teams, but I think he starts in a lot more places than you might think. Go look @ the lineup from the final on the MLS site, its easy to click through and see the stats for these guys.

superdave, Atouk and GumbyG repped this.
  4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I've long thought that Birnbaum is the best aerial defender in MLS. Sadly the game is not played exclusively in the air.

5. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    You have to trust that we're going to remove more dead weight and drastically alter the roster. Is Rodriguez medically fit to start on a roster for us after reconstructive surgery? Santos is of course dog shit and will almost definitely be gone. Dobbelaere is not a serious pick, he's just depth. I can see 3-4 starters appearing in the next few weeks, so not entirely worth talking depth charts until then.

Yowza and GumbyG repped this.
  6. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he was just a bit better at breaking lines, I think he'd have had a nice NT career. Concussions played a big role in that as well - not that he was ever out for long but it was frequent for a while there in his prime. Availability is the best ability.

PSURoss and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  7. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you use the word "trust" in your first sentence?

Santos is an OK backup at this point in his career, as is Dajome. If you combined them into a single player they might work out. Of course if you tried that a-la The Fly, you'd get a player with Santos' speed and Dajome's ball work and finishing. I wouldn't mind trading them both for Arriola or a facsimile, but I wouldn't put money on it happening.

8. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Just barely. In Jan of this year. His brother just got married a couple months ago and remember he has 7 sisters (and a niece) too so they like to get started early in the family.

PSURoss and sitruc repped this.
  9. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

There is no such restrictions in Denmark, if your parents allow it, you can buy and drink alcohol at any age and also in public, so even if he is a 3 year old toddler, it will not make any difference. I'm going to post this video, because it show how children learn and grow up around here, which is very alien to the rest of the world, unless they adopt the Danish principles, which is kind of unlimited freedom for children.

PSURoss, superdave and Winoman repped this.
  10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I remember being surprised in the plans the stadium already overhangs public right of way some. I also remember being somewhat disappointed with the design from a structural standpoint. Basically, what we have is what we've got. Any significant change to the west stand would probably require the entire stand coming down. All of the exposed steel is structural steel. The puzzle pieces of prefab concrete stands sit directly on the skeleton.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't get me started on the rain leaders not being black.

11. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I was really just remarking at how young he is, there was no judgement intended.

JRHokie repped this.
  12. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I understand, but I was just making the point that here we do not judge people in the same way and by the same rules as anywhere else. We also have a saying that medals or 'titles is something you pin on idiots', so here moving to the "top of the latter" is not really what is important in life, only that your personal freedom to do what you want, and what you do with your life, makes sense to you.

13. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    The schedule has dropped and the first game is on 2/24 vs New England.

GumbyG, John L and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  14. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Fück New England.

PSURoss, United1, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    We get inter-messi for 2nd home game, 16 March. 2pm kickoff.

revelation repped this.
  16. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's an article in the Baltimore Sun about four proposed stadia locations for DC's MLS Next PRO team. I'm not a subscriber, but if you are...

Winoman repped this.
  17. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    On the plus side, we won't be out of the playoff running that early so there will be at least some DCU jerseys in the stands (vs. only pink fanboys).

On the minus side, we may not have a coach still and the guys will, if history is any guide, play like they just met in the parking lot. Oh, and it will be cold. Very cold.

Win or lose, sounds ugly.