Review: 2023 - Club Discussion and Analysis

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jan 28, 2023.

1. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    1. Yamil Asad is not a good player. He was very poor during his second stint.
    2. He loves this club because Kasper continues to employ him. I'd love a job that kept bringing me back, even after subpar performance.
    3. He bleeds for the shirt? Since when? What does this even mean?
    4. Kasper has about five names in the Rolodex. I fully expect to see Harkes back in uniform soon, along with Yow, the American Messi of the Belgian 2nd Division.
    5. We should be signing another centerback given our lackluster group currently on roster. Asad does not address this need.

Asad could be great off the field, and that does matter. And I do hope he plays well and proves me wrong. I added the LOL because Kasper is making up crap and trying to justify a signing that is simply lazy.

I'll be there Saturday to see Asad bang in a few for the black and red! :)

2. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Week three and apathy is leaking in. I am questioning the point if DC isn't going to demand making the playoffs. I know it is "a goal". I would like a bit more urgency. Maybe even say the fans deserve more from this club... Something that makes it feel like this club has sights on something greater than lower end of the table mediocrity...

3. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    The Time of Exuberant Optimism is OVER...

DCU, anotherfan, Alejandro 10 and 2 others repped this.
  4. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    #129 QuietSide, Mar 9, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    So the Leagues Cup home game against Pumas UNAM on July 30 is not included in the season ticket package, which includes 3 extra tickets that are to be named later.

As the email says: "Please Note: This match is not part of your Season Ticket Membership package. The club will notify you of the three additional matches to be included in the coming weeks."

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but this seems like a stupid move both from a season ticket "member" perspective and a competitive perspective of having a home-field atmosphere.

Anyways, I guess I'll just look forward to trading in my tickets to the "Capital Cup" or whatever useless games they come up with this year.

Edit: I also got an email from Sporting Kansas City (I'm on their list for some reason) offering the chance to buy tickets to their home game so I guess it's not just our wonderful front office. Don't know if the SKC fans have to buy 3 useless matches though...

Edit again: Just looked on their website and actually the Sporting Kansas City season ticket package does include the Leagues Cup game (and also US Open Cup games through the quarterfinals). What a concept...

Alejandro 10, bigredfutbol and Winoman repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we all are :)
    I get way more, and more informative, emails from them than I do DC United.

Of course I dropped my DCU tix after the first 24 years and they may still be bitter over our exit interview :D

6. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
  7. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I am trying to decide if its worth buying seats with Seattle & KC since I get their emails too. Monterrey & Chivas should draw.

revelation repped this.
  8. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    #134 revelation, Mar 9, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    I am glad we are looking at shoring up the hole in central midfield...

9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    So Goff reports that the O'Brien loan from Forest is on with O'Brien getting his physical in DC on Monday. However, Goff says this may only be on until the summer unless DCU either extends the loan or buys his contract. If this is only until the summer transfer window, how does any of this make sense? As Goff notes, getting a visa takes a few weeks, so we're talking mid-late April before O'Brien is cleared to play. Of course, he hasn't played since the end of January, so he won't be match fit. So, visa late April -- match fitness sometime in mid-late May -- then back to England in July? That is a quintessential DCU move.

sitruc, United1 and Winoman repped this.
  10. SoccerMullet

SoccerMullet Member

DC United
    United States
    Jul 23, 2022
    For the pure entertainment value, I kind of hope it all goes down like this. It's the kind of story you would tell your friends/kids/grandkids about twenty years from now when trying to impart to them how ridiculously inept the ownership/management of this team was during the Levien/Kasper era.

bigredfutbol, sitruc, MattR and 2 others repped this.
  11. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klich got his visa in about 3 weeks. I imagine O'Brien's will take that long, if not less. It'll be well before May when O'Brien suits up for United.

Also, Yamil Asad's last competitive match before this past Saturday was in November, and yet he subbed in a couple of days after he signed here.

revelation repped this.
  12. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Maybe in uniform before May, but he hasn't played since January. So match fitness will be sometime in May. IIRC, the Benteke and Fountas visas took a long time to process. Even if O'Brien is in uniform by late April, the loan still doesn't make sense if it's short term.

13. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes sense as we get a good player for a few months as he gets his fitness up and then gets to decide if he wants to make the move to Blackburn during the summer. This isn't a bad move. If he stays (which I would be shocked were that to happen) he would hit his stride in July/August where we need the depth. If he goes back we have space for a summer signing (as we aren't as inept as the Galaxy FO and actually can sign players in the summer).

14. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    We gotta bring O'Brien here because he bleeds for the shirt.

15. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He last played six weeks ago, but before that he'd been in training since July and played in 17 matches with 7 starts (in all comps) from August to end of January. He's not coming in off holiday. No reason he can't be ready to go by the time he's allowed to go.

GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  16. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    He will be ready to augment our central midfield. We only have six or eight potential starters at those two positions...

GumbyG repped this.
  17. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Ok, it is worse than this. He is unable to play for Forest because they didn't register him because they thought he was on loan to Blackburn. So he is unable to play until the new season. So Rooney brings him here...

18. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To play until he can register at Blackburn. Yes. We know.

Winoman repped this.
  19. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The move to Blackburn was a loan through the end of this season. If the loan ends this summer, he's going back to Forest, not Blackburn.

Winoman and revelation repped this.
  20. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Listened to the latest Pitch Pass podcast. Roche talked with Jason Anderson. Worth a listen. Much discussion of Durkin and his role in Rooney's system. Maybe O'Brien is supposed to be a "better" Durkin.

21. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I always thought you could run 2 miles, do drills, juggle, do wind sprints, etc on your own.

22. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Exactly. This makes little sense giving the timing. But, this is DCU, so it makes perfect se sense.

23. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    He could train with his current team. He just cannot play in matches. It is so strange and I wonder why for DC and for Forest. And who contacted whom...

24. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Thanks, this was a fun take on the team. Ok not fun but interesting.