Review: 2023 - Club Discussion and Analysis

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jan 28, 2023.

1. KasperOut

KasperOut Member

DC United
    United States
    Sep 24, 2023
    He’s US-born, so presumably this opens an international spot, too?

Winoman repped this.
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Ruan gives you pace, inconsistent offensive play and sometimes brain dead defending. I'll take what's behind Door #3 Monte. Herrera not playing much in 2023 could be due to form, injury or Losada's psychosis.

3. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    For what its worth the games I saw him play for Guatemala he looked like their best player. I'm also on board with the potential trade.

superdave and Winoman repped this.
  4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I've seen him consistently out run opposing forwards to long passes into the corners late in the game. Its nice having speed on defense.

Winoman repped this.
  5. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Herrera could earn 10-15 USMNT caps, before he made his switch. Which is to say, he's in the pool of decent MLS RBs we wouldn't need an international slot for. He's also versatile enough to play on the left and deputize at DM, which is not a skill universal to RBs.

Ruan's play was MLS starting quality, as far as I'm concerned. I still like this trade. We would definitely lose pace, but we'd get a smarter defender who's also more likely to put in a good cross. Herrera's the kind of "good at soccer" player a quality team expects all their starters to be.

Gregoire1, edcalvi, KasperOut and 5 others repped this.
  6. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Who was he crossing balls to in 2021? He had 10 assists and a goal for RSL and had otherwise a very quiet career in Salt Lake. Kreilach & Rusnak were there for most of his time in RSL.

8. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trade is done.

sitruc, GumbyG, griffin1108 and 4 others repped this.
  9. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    It's clear to me they don't even want Ruan, they want the money. Good riddance though.

No. Well, on a bad team sure. But MLS starting quality in terms of a playoff team? No.

Someone here with knowledge of contracts, can we get rid of Benteke fairly easily or would it be pretty hard? Isn't there a Turkish or Chinese team that needs someone off the bench?

GumbyG repped this.
  10. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't get the impression that you lighten rooms as you enter them.

superdave and griffin1108 repped this.
  11. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    This trade has a certain "Nashville" vibe to it. Getting rid of a pacey, inconsistent offensive threat for a more well rounded right side defender. Right now the starting LB and RB are Jeahze and Herrera. For MLS, that's solid. CB is still a work in progress; however I think Akinmboni will be getting serious minutes this year. Same height as Pines, but better footwork and ball skills already.

GumbyG and ImNumberTen repped this.
  12. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu

Winoman and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  13. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I forgot in DC fashion we need to do the ceremonial “he wore the colors and deserves honor” routine right

14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or just not be a dick. There's the old adage - don't be a dick when the option of not being a dick exists.

15. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    We are fans of a team, we’re not a family. He was not good. We don’t need to pretend he was.

16. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still not capable of either saying something nice - like good bye and thanks - or not saying anything at all.

17. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    #1467 shammypants, Dec 12, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
    This is a person who was on 400k+ salary, and remains on 400k+ salary after leaving, who was barely here for not even a year and doesn't read the forum. Oh and he was a bum on the field. This kind of weird sentimentality isn't healthy for the fan base.

Edit- Oh yea and let's not forget that we decided we didnt need a ********ing 2nd pick in the draft and took him instead. Bon voyage, safe travels, please take my napkin and my shoes to make your journey lighter!

anotherfan and JRHokie repped this.
  18. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked Ruan. Couldn’t cross for shit but he was a lot more dangerous than Najar, who I love but just didn’t deliver.
    And in my opinion, he was much better defensively than Najar, who was either lost or mailing it in.

19. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s not to say I’m unhappy with the trade because I’m happy with it.

KasperOut repped this.
  20. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think Ruan could have successfully converted to Nagbe’s role. I wish he’d gotten a chance after LOB left.

21. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    reminds me of the modern take on the Dick and Jane early primary reader books in school.

See Dick and Jane.
    See Dick drink.
    See Dick drive.
    See Jane die.
    Don't be a Dick.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's already near the height limit.

23. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw that Julian Gressel is available in free agency.

24. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Gressel's wife's family is from Massachusetts. He isn't a DP, but will demand a TAM level deal, at least in the beginning. He is a poor fit for RBNY, might fit in Philly. Would he go to Charlotte? New coach, new system. NE is without a coach, so what to do there? Atlanta wouldn't pay him when he was there, that's how he got to DCU in the first place. Now, a precision crosser and Benteke might be magic -- oh yeah, Kasper dumped Gressel in the shittiest way possible a few weeks before signing Benteke. Slam dunk he comes back here.:D Seriously, I hope the guy gets a good deal and can finish his career in one place.

anotherfan, Alejandro 10, GumbyG and 3 others repped this.
  25. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Another guy who doesn't play defense and doesn't score