Review: 2023 - Club Discussion and Analysis

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jan 28, 2023.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Thank you for putting some players names with this post. Otherwise, 2017? 2007? 1997? I'd have no idea which year this post was from and I hate slipping back in time.

Alejandro 10 and revelation repped this.
  2. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    The hammy curse continues

Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  3. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    What happened to Kurt Morsink? Wasn't he our head scout in one of those timeframes?

Winoman repped this.
  4. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Gone long ago. He's now an agent for Central American players.

Winoman repped this.
  5. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    In the trend of re-treads, there's apparently a place with his name on it still. :rolleyes:

Winoman repped this.
  6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, no discussion of Ravel being cut? I guess no one cares, eh?

Winoman repped this.
  7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Whenever I see his name I forget it hadn't already happened especially with the updates to league contract rules.

Winoman and revelation repped this.
  8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    He's been at 14 clubs in eight years. Statistically it would have been a far bigger surprise if he'd lasted an entire season.

superdave, GumbyG, ImNumberTen and 5 others repped this.
  9. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I feel this was talked about in multiple threads. Some felt he was here too long and others felt he was quality or at least a reasonable MLS player with promise. No minds were changed and there was much acrimony...

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually knew he had been cut before it hit the media as I am friends with a person who is a Ravel insider (I cant say how because on the crazy chance that someone Ravel knows reads this thread, it would cause huge problems for that person in Ravel's life). I am told on that authority that, despite the non-descript send-off words from Rooney, the issue with Ravel was all about his attitude.

sitruc, superdave, bigredfutbol and 8 others repped this.
  11. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that anyone cares, but here are the power rankings after matchday one:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/power-rankings-st-louis-city-soar-toronto-fc-tumble-after-matchday-1

DC jumped up 4 places to 22nd and Toronto dropped 10 to 20th. I'm not complaining, but losing 10 entire slots after a game in which you were good enough to be leading at the 89th minute seems - and don't be shocked by this - arbitrary.

In other news, the west coast bias continues. The Gals didn't play this weekend and climbed two spots. Chicago didn't play this weekend and dropped two spots. The octopus in a tank earned his fish this week.

Real Mobile, John L, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  12. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Unlike a certain former US Mens team manager, Rooney didn't feel compelled to publicly share his opinions about Ravel's attitude. Are us Americans just stupid?

Winoman, PSURoss and bigredfutbol repped this.
  13. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    GumbyG repped this.
  14. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Those lists are just subjective clickbait.

GlennAA11, revelation and GumbyG repped this.
  15. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    More blockages for the youth players.

I mean what is he going to play? Is he competing with minutes in the center of midfield?

Is he a Martin Rodrigue replacement?

Winoman repped this.
  16. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If he has a green card I don't have strong feelings one way or the other, you need deckchairs. If an international slot has to be used for him I'll be disappointed.

Winoman and benni... repped this.
  17. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is a replacement for Rodriguez. That's it. No International Slot used, etc. Known player.

DCU1984, John L and benni... repped this.
  18. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff says he still has a green card, so he doesn't count as an international.

Winoman, John L and benni... repped this.
  19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Asad at his best and early on could hold onto the ball under pressure and shrug off tackles. Very nice to have since he was maintaining pressure when we were attacking.

Later on he started to make these sloppy risky passes in the back which were often intercepted and made our defense scramble.

Hopefully, he will be like he was earlier for us. But yes, as a sub until he's proven

Mountainia, Yowza and GumbyG repped this.
  20. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Taxi out 4-6 weeks and Rodriguez out for the year, I think the Asad move makes sense. There’s a need for depth on the left behind Santos and Jeahze. And he definitely fits better into Rooney ball than Losada’s high press.

Mountainia repped this.
  21. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you remember when you were 6 and your dad made you put the worm on your own hook for the first time, while it squirmed in agony? I hope that's the way the MLS staff feels every week.

Winoman repped this.
  22. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    And things to argue about. However, it is more like listening to Alexis ramble on about something rather than an actual controversial or reasonable position...

23. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Signing Asad actually makes sense. Known quantity, 28 years old and Rooney knows him. If he really has a green card, that's a big plus. With Rodriguez gone for the year and Taxi probably out until April (and with limited minutes for awhile after that), the left side right now is Santos (35 years old) and Fletcher (17 years old). You "can" put Robertha there in a pinch, but he really is a forward and his game, such as it is, isn't not that of a wide attacker. Maybe TKDP can actually find a starting position on the flank, but he plays more like a false 9. Sliding Asad in that rotation makes a great deal of sense. Of course, this signing doesn't address lack of overall team speed, but, on balance it actually makes sense.

24. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Asad is a perfect signing for this organization!!

He was horrendous the last time he was here. He offered nothing in the attack, and his defending was very poor. I felt bad for Losada having to even deal with him. But, what do these clowns in the front office do? Yep, they go to the Rolodex of five names and pull out Asad’s card. It’s so DC United.

“Asad most recently played for Universidad Católica in Chile, where he appeared in 12 matches, all but one as a sub, and scored once. His last game was Nov. 6. Because of fitness issues, it’s unclear when Asad would be in uniform for United, which will visit Columbus this Saturday and host Orlando on March 11.”

His last match was November 6!?

“Late in 2021, stuck in then-coach Hernán Losada’s doghouse, Asad saw his playing time dwindle and at times was left off the game-day roster — even when the team did not have enough players to fill out the 20-man squad. After the season, United released him.”

Yes, because he was useless. Losada could see it, but I guess Kasper and company see it differently. Or they just don’t care to find someone else who might actually be able to help the team.

TowsonDad and Winoman repped this.
  25. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...or play one of the young guys who might actually benefit from the playing time.