Review: 2023 - Club Discussion and Analysis

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jan 28, 2023.

1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

DCU, Alejandro 10, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I hope he has better luck next season at his 14th club in 8 years.

3. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    The important thing is that he’s still on the payroll.

ImNumberTen, Alejandro 10 and revelation repped this.
  4. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's definitely a lot of money/cap space to be eaten up by someone who's not going to play.

Really wish he could put the clear talent he has to good use. Someone with his talent *should* be able to dominate MLS, but not there's clearly something else going on where he's never been able to make it work.

Alejandro 10, Winoman and revelation repped this.
  5. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Here's my optimistic spin on the situation - At least he's only f_cking over our cap, he could be here f_cking over this team like he did Jamacia.

sitruc, DCU, Alejandro 10 and 2 others repped this.
  6. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I'm not sure he should shoulder the most blame on that. Part for sure but he was not the only player under performing and not cooperating on that team.

However, back to DC. I assume he will stick around until his contract expires and then try to move elsewhere. Why attempt to get on another team when you can just collect dollars until the contract is over?

fatbastard and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  7. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt a whole year of not playing would make it easy for him to find a club in the future. For his own career, the sooner he finds a new club that he could actually play for, the better.

PSURoss, Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd still wait for them to buy out my contract ;) He has to know in a salary-cap league he can afford to wait it out longer than they can.

9. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Who would look at him right now and say, yea we want that guy? He plays like one season and then gets shipped out...

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  10. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    One season is WAY above his average with a team.

sitruc, PSURoss, griffin1108 and 3 others repped this.
  11. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Just more front office failure and talent mismanagement.

It makes me wonder when fans talk about how Yow, Nyemen and other "failed" are currently doing as justification as to why DC United let them go. Those three players are on a long list of talented players to fail here. But somehow its because they suck, yet this club is consistently shit.

We have not successfully integrated a talent from our youth teams since Najar [Im not counting Hopkins (honestly not convinced by him) and Ted just yet]. We have not successfully purchased a non defensive player since [besides Taxi] since Rooney.

Even Ola Kamara who scored some goals, people dont really rate him. I never rated Arriola for us. He scored 20 goals and less assist in his time here.

Our fans love to hang onto Bill Hamid as if he hadnt been finished for years already.

Thats my preseason emotional outburst. Probably gonna have a mid season one and a post [not playoff] season one.

SoccerMullet, Hedbal, United1 and 4 others repped this.
  12. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    #37 revelation, Feb 23, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    Nice to get those on the schedule, then you don't come off like some unhinged jacknut that doesn't watch MLS... Or I should say, only watches DC United...

Alejandro 10, Winoman and benni... repped this.
  13. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Who could have possibly foreseen how shitty of an acquisition Ravel shithead Morrison would be?

14. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Someone that coached him before?

sitruc, Winoman, United1 and 2 others repped this.
  15. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's a concern. Talent identification and having a good sense of how a player will fit into a team are obviously key skills for a manager. Morrison played for Rooney and getting some talent on the roster is key to Rooney having the success that's he'll need to get back to the EPL in a managerial role, but he sure whiffed on that guy.

Winoman, revelation and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  16. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    This is more of a philosophical question but I'm not sure why guys like Rooney or Lampard or Gerrard go into football management. They've got millions of dollars (unless they blew it all) and good reputations (among most). Why throw it all away for something as volatile as football management? Guys like Marsch and Berhalter and Olsen I understand because they don't have a huge nest egg from playing so need a second career. Oh well, as we've seen from many, a high quality playing career doesn't necessarily translate to management and even if you are a good manager, you still have just a series of short stints at clubs. Guys with the staying power of Sir Alex or Wenger are the rarest and even they have to be at clubs with special circumstances...

Alejandro 10, anotherfan and Winoman repped this.
  17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, I think the easy answer is wanting to continue working in the game even once they're past playing time - coaching is the best way to do it. That said, I don't think it's necessary to coach at the same level you played at - but many people around them might expect it anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if these guys would've been perfectly happy coaching lower division sides, but their existing star power as a player almost makes it impossible for them to be allowed away from the spotlight.

Alejandro 10, revelation and Winoman repped this.
  18. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    So, I listened to Allocation Disorder this morning on my walk. Both Sam and Paul put DCU at the bottom - repeating as Wooden Spoon recipient. Paul also predicted Rooney would be out as manager before DCU plays 17 games. They both also referred to DCU as a mess, nothing making sense and will be a "tire fire" this season. Thought I would throw that out for any of you who had lingering bits of optimism about this season.

19. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Winoman and United1 repped this.
  20. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Do you have a link and know the minute (roughly) when they talk about DC? I'd love a good chuckle!

21. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    And happy Friday to you too.

revelation and Winoman repped this.
  22. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    You're very welcome.:)

revelation repped this.
  23. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I subscribe through Apple's podcast app. They are part of The Athletic's podcasts on soccer. The DCU discussion is early in the Eastern Division preview. The Rooney prediction is at the end.

24. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    OK, thank you.