2023 AUS/NZ Women’s World Cup Draw

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by jackdoggy, Oct 19, 2022.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should also mention the Mexican WNT. Whenever they have qualified, they usually went with about 1/2 of the squad being Mexican-Americans. There were actually rumors that the Yanks were capped at half of the squad. They never got much attention in the US, partially because the Mexican Fed didn't promote that angle and seemed to be a bit sensitive about the breakdown.

2. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    Hopefully the Philippines can play the USWNT in a friendly before the world cup, which will be good preparation for the Vietnam game

3. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #28 Pelefan, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    That would be nice but it wouldn't be good preparation for the US in terms of matching Vietnam's style of play. The Philippines under Australian Coach Stajcic plays a very different style from other Asian teams particularly those from SEA.

kolabear and blissett repped this.
  4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the US schedule, mostly in New Zealand, and the weather there in late July, the US women definitely need to have some games in the Pacific Northwest in March-April.

kolabear repped this.
  5. hardballBD

hardballBD Member

Union
    United States
    Feb 21, 2022
    Has anyone else here received any news about World Cup tickets through US Soccer?

We applied by the 10/31 deadline for 8 tickets (2 games, 4 tickets reach). Our credit card was charged the nominal $8 fee. Instructions said there would be some type of response by Nov. 2 or 3. But we've seen nothing.

Hoping someone else knows what is going on...

6. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I requested all Matches that USSoccer were going to process. I received word today that my application was approved for the Group Matches.
    <<Per communique>> As the USWNT progresses throughout the tournament more information will be released about any conditional tickets that you may have applied for.

7. RtD!

RtD! Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    I only got game 3 (TBD) game. The ND game in Wellington is sold out on fifa . com
    Any ideas for how to get tix?

8. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused about the process/procedures of FIFA tickets sales.
    Since Day 1, all the Category 1 tickets (generally lower-level, goal line to goal line) have been labeled "currently unavailable" on the FIFA ticket site.

Not the first.....nor the last time FIFA ticketing procedures have left me scratching my head.

9. hardballBD

hardballBD Member

Union
    United States
    Feb 21, 2022
    Process has been poor, no doubt.

Sharing a bit more about my situation, and would love to hear others. Anticipating that especially the Netherlands game would be sought-after, we upgraded our Insiders membership to "VIP" level ($185/yr). We then applied for 4 tickets for each of games 2 (Netherlands) and 3 (TBD opponent).

Days LATER THAN it was suggested we would get news, I received an email confirming tickets for game 3, but saying nothing about game 2.

Further email with tickets@ussoccer.org seems to confirm (but still not 100% explicitly clear to me) that we only got game 3 tickets, and not game 2.

I guess I'm surprised that buying up to the 2nd-highest level of Insiders benefit didn't get us access to game 2. And while I recognize it wasn't a guarantee, I definitely feel burned that such an obscure process resulted in us paying almost $200 to US Soccer and in the end getting nothing that we really value in return. (I'm assuming that game 3 would have been available to any willing takers, but that's just an assumption).

10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I decided not to go through US Soccer since for the 2015 and 2019 World Cups, we did not and it worked out fine. In fact, we often sat with fans from other countries (not in the supporters sections) and it was really fun to get to meet them. This time, we got some tickets through the Visa pre-sale (not the very first one, which was for Aussies and Kiwis). We were late to do that, however, so we were not able to get seats for the USA-NED game and the championship. Then, immediately when ticket sales opened up to everyone (not having to use Visa), we were able to get tickets to USA-NED and the championship. So, we ended up getting all the tickets we wanted.

It was stressful, to say the least, as navigating through the entire FIFA process was tricky, but it all worked out.

I believe, but am not sure, that there will be one more round when additional tickets will be released. Somewhere on the FIFA site, there is a schedule indicating when that will be. If we had not been able to get all the tickets we wanted, I would be jumping on there at the very instant it opens up and hoping to get tickets.

11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well things have sure changed since the first WWC I attended in 1990. I had no trouble getting tickets to several matches in 1991. I even walked up and was let in free for one match I arrived late for.

Of course interest was low and travel to China was a bit hard so I did not have a lot of foreign competition for seats but China did round up a LOT of people to fill the stands. ;)

I, unfortunately, only got to see three matches and just a little of another. I had other duties and soccer was still quite new to me. But I did see Mia score her first World Cup goal. :D

12. hardballBD

hardballBD Member

Union
    United States
    Feb 21, 2022
    It's now clear that I won't be getting Netherlands tickets via US Soccer. And chances via FIFA opening new tickets seem dismal.

Does anyone have recommendations for a legit ticket reseller operating in New Zealand that can help me out?