News: 2023 - Audi Field Thread.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never seen a beer snake at a United match, but then we've only been partial plan holders for the last several years.

:eek:

bigredfutbol repped this.
  2. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The beer snake was solely an XFL phenomenon.

I feel like United's supporters groups are too into themselves to actually have fun and make a beer snake.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Lemons being thrown on the field became a touchdown celebration.

What drinks even come with lemons? I am way too cheap for all of that.
    The beer snake had been part of the promotion of the team and the league. The team was expecting it. The broadcast was expecting it. Evidently, event staff was also expecting it, but they had different ideas.
    I meant the confiscation of plastic cups after they are empty. I can imagine an event staff meeting deciding the empty beer cups are potential projectiles and should not be kept in the stands after events last season. There was a special irony to fans becoming upset and throwing things on the field because event staff kept destroying attempts to make beer snakes. In the short season of Defenders football a couple years ago, the snakes happened and then the fans even marched them to recycling afterward. Tonight, cups, lemons, and trash were everywhere.
    That's a take. I'd call it a wrong one, but it's a take. The beer snake is all about fans in the stands and nothing to do with the game on the field or even supporting the team. So, whatever.

The field was definitely getting chewed up which obviously is not great. I thought it was doing decent in the first half, but as the second half progressed, chunks were definitely coming up.

Yowza and Winoman repped this.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    #29 sitruc, Feb 19, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2023

Longer video

Evidently attendance was 12,438.

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha thanx for the info and video; I didn't watch he game, but did see Audi Field all over the news, both locally and national afterwards - even had the Rock and the lady who owns XFL with him, Dany something on GMA yesterday with the huge D C UNITED spelled out in the seats behind them :)

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  6. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    So you are saying that DC United was on GMA? Wow, this season is going to be fire (as parents of kids say to embarrass the crap out of said kids)!

dadman, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I was definitely surprised to be asked about the game by a few coworkers who knew I went. I initially did not realize that the story had caught on nationally. I later did see the stadium account promote Good Morning America without notable field paint.

I just watched the video...

It was a mess. I have never been a fan of Dwayne Johnson. It's an interesting timeline if his ex-wife/partner were talking about buying the league in March 2020. I don't recall when the league closed up shop. The first two weekends in the month definitely had games and I think the Seattle team was one of the first teams in North America with cases.
    [​IMG]
    Back before beer cup snakes were destroyed by security, things were not thrown on the field and the snake was marched to recycling.

Winoman repped this.
  8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Security" ruins everything and is the enemy of the people.

MattR, dadman, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    FYP.

Winoman and revelation repped this.
  10. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    However, dumpster fire is much less cringe than just saying fire. (Just in case any youngs haven't been embarrassed enough by my previous post, I am doubling down...)

dadman, Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.
  11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Yowza and Winoman repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Lemon throwing has become a touchdown celebration after the last game. There was a delay for that. The beer snake is back and has easily climbed 137 and is snaking into 136. There is quite a bit of snaking since there are so many cups.

The field... green paint is covering soccer lines. I'm still surprised by where event staff and media stand on about 10 yards between soccer and football sidelines.

Winoman repped this.
  13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The beer snake was destroyed by the idiots holding it. They just started throwing it all in celebration. ********ing dumbasses.

Winoman repped this.
  14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Sparse crowd for this one which isn't s surprise considering the weather and start times for this ESPN product. Audi Field is doing the wrist band and scan to enter the Chico Stand as they were for last night's United match. I get the feeling that many of the things we see implemented at one event are the result of the other event with no considerations for why things happen. Metal detector lines are again pushed out from the entrances. The green paint can't hide the soccer lines at all. It's funny to see people go in the team store and not see any Defenders gear and then also be shocked by how limited the selection is for United too.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It has filled in. The 200s don't appear to be open.

17. BassNFool

BassNFool Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Audi Field is a great looking stadium. I love it in person and it looks great on TV. The XFL games are taking a toll on the field where the players stand on the sideline. Only a couple of games to go though and the field should recover.

Winoman and John L repped this.
  18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Three years ago there was a deal that they paid for replacing the field. I hope that is the case this time too.

Winoman repped this.
  19. usadcu

usadcu Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    The new beer from new partner Aslin was on tap last night, and it was delicious.

I gotta say that the selection of beer (beyond the Heineken group) at the stadium has improved noticeably in the past two years.

Winoman and pr0ner repped this.
  20. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did you find the Aslin? I didn't go exploring much last night as I didn't get to the stadium until a few minutes before the (shockingly on time) kickoff.

John L repped this.
  21. usadcu

usadcu Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    It was flowing at the draft stand on the north side behind the scoreboard.

United1, Winoman, pr0ner and 1 other person repped this.
  22. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    With this and no VAR the game ended at a decent time. My wife was surprised at how early I got home.

Yowza, Winoman and revelation repped this.
  23. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! I thought about heading over there after my team store visit, but the lines were long and I figured I'd miss kickoff. I know where to look on Saturday.

Winoman repped this.
  24. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    See you over there! :)

pr0ner repped this.
  25. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999